[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 5 chat

Shaft

I don't understand handing it off to Mattison on 4th and a foot.  Run a QB sneak, and it's game over.  If you don't have faith in Cousins getting you a foot (or maybe less?), put Thielen under center and have him do it.  As soon as they ran that play (and failed), I knew they were done.  Even on 4th and goal, after three consecutive incompletions by Wilson, I was pretty confident they were done.  Unbelievable.  

Should they have kicked the FG?  Meh.  In hindsight, sure, it's easy to second-guess.  But, again, you needed literally inches to finish the game.  I would argue that the chance of missing that FG is about as high as the chance of not converting a QB sneak.  Wrong play call, IMO.  

Side note.... Last night was a perfect example of how much home field advantage has been mitigated by the lack of fans.  It's also the main reason why scoring is up across the board.  Defenses have lost their 12th man.  Minnesota has brought much better teams to Seattle, and gotten blown out.  Last night, they brought a lesser product, and almost came away with the win.  Biggest difference was that it was like playing a scrimmage on a neutral field.  Play that game in a full stadium, and the probably lose by 20+.  

Zimmer certainly had a solid game-plan, at least for the first half.  But, even when it was 13-0 at halftime, I was thinking that they probably needed to be up 17 or 21.  Less than two TD's wasn't going to cut it.  

On 10/12/2020 at 11:13 AM, Gopher said:

I don't understand handing it off to Mattison on 4th and a foot.  Run a QB sneak, and it's game over.  If you don't have faith in Cousins getting you a foot (or maybe less?), put Thielen under center and have him do it.  As soon as they ran that play (and failed), I knew they were done.  Even on 4th and goal, after three consecutive incompletions by Wilson, I was pretty confident they were done.  Unbelievable.  

Should they have kicked the FG?  Meh.  In hindsight, sure, it's easy to second-guess.  But, again, you needed literally inches to finish the game.  I would argue that the chance of missing that FG is about as high as the chance of not converting a QB sneak.  Wrong play call, IMO.  

Side note.... Last night was a perfect example of how much home field advantage has been mitigated by the lack of fans.  It's also the main reason why scoring is up across the board.  Defenses have lost their 12th man.  Minnesota has brought much better teams to Seattle, and gotten blown out.  Last night, they brought a lesser product, and almost came away with the win.  Biggest difference was that it was like playing a scrimmage on a neutral field.  Play that game in a full stadium, and the probably lose by 20+.  

Zimmer certainly had a solid game-plan, at least for the first half.  But, even when it was 13-0 at halftime, I was thinking that they probably needed to be up 17 or 21.  Less than two TD's wasn't going to cut it.  

It was great game plan. It was the back to back turnovers that got Seattle back in the game. They should have won that game and yes it  is easy to second guess the decision to go for that 4th down. I however said right away, why not kick the field goal go up by 8 and force Seattle to score a touchdown and extra point to tie? The Defense had played very well all night.

I am impressed by how much the defense has improved every week. Cousins is killing us with the turnovers though. Man he has made some terrible decisions this season.

I will be the 3rd MN guy to weigh in. I see merits both ways, I liked the decision to go for it. You get a foot, game over. If not, they need 94 yds. In hindsight the wrong decision. I don't like Cousins, never have, he's not a winner to me, but whatever. He's good under ideal conditions but you don't get ideal conditions playing football.  They aren't going anywhere this year anyway, but they will cause problems for people.