[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Supply issues you've experienced

rajncajn

Rajn that happened to thousands I'm sure with the many cancelled flights over the holidays. I don't fly often (every few years) so I wonder was there any warning about that, or concern from people in the industry that increased demand combined with the increase in cases would disrupt a lot of flights. 

I continue to see empty shelves of the same types of products at the store (various frozen veggies, bread, and other packaged good). Before New Years I was looking for some prepared mashed potatoes (in store prepared food, Bob Evans in cooler cases) and they were cleared out. I was in the store a week later and checked, same thing, still cleared out. 

No shortage of beer thankfully :) 

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Rajn that happened to thousands I'm sure with the many cancelled flights over the holidays. I don't fly often (every few years) so I wonder was there any warning about that, or concern from people in the industry that increased demand combined with the increase in cases would disrupt a lot of flights. 

I'm well aware. Having had to travel for work 4 times in the past year it was always an issue. I'm just sharing a story as it relates to Covid problems.

Most of the time we had people stranded in San Diego for a few days trying to get back. A few times we had people get stranded midway back. I lucked up. The first time my flight got cancelled days before I left home. The second time it was the night before I left to come home and I was able to get a flight later that day on a different airline.

The issue isn't really a goods supply problem. From what I understand it's a lack of employees to man the planes. So,  it's more a people supply issue. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2021-12-30/explainer-why-are-so-many-flights-being-canceled

Edited by rajncajn

The people supply issue is probably bigger than the goods supply issue and has broader reach. Just look at how many places are still open just for carry out (not talking just McD but some other restaurants) or stores that have to close departments (grocery store with closed deli, bakery, etc) because they don't have enough people. For a while some restaurants were only open for some days, Thu-Sun was common. I know we've been looking to hire an entry level software support rep and that hasn't been going well. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

The people supply issue is probably bigger than the goods supply issue and has broader reach. Just look at how many places are still open just for carry out (not talking just McD but some other restaurants) or stores that have to close departments (grocery store with closed deli, bakery, etc) because they don't have enough people. For a while some restaurants were only open for some days, Thu-Sun was common. I know we've been looking to hire an entry level software support rep and that hasn't been going well. 

You're 100% right but what I don't get is, where is everyone? Don't people need money or is the free money train still going? I'm confused as to how people are still unemployed with all the good paying jobs out there. 

5 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

You're 100% right but what I don't get is, where is everyone? Don't people need money or is the free money train still going? I'm confused as to how people are still unemployed with all the good paying jobs out there. 

800,000 people have died, while mostly older some were not and some were working

many more thousands are temporarily out of the work force due to having COVID and not being able to report for work - see the airline discussions before

many people said screw it and retired ASAP - my sister and her husband just 2 examples

some had to stop working to care for sick relatives, or kids that had to stay home due to remote learning -  I work with a lady who is a single mom, 2 young kids, lucky for her we switched to work from home and she doesn't have that issue

Contrary to claims from some on the right, it isn't because "damn liberal government is paying them not to work". 

I do think that some fast food places the owners have just decided that for the time being they can survive with drive thru only (few I see around me have their dining room open) and fewer employees (they may not be able to get enough workers to properly re-open for inside service anyway). 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

800,000 people have died, while mostly older some were not and some were working

many more thousands are temporarily out of the work force due to having COVID and not being able to report for work - see the airline discussions before

many people said screw it and retired ASAP - my sister and her husband just 2 examples

some had to stop working to care for sick relatives, or kids that had to stay home due to remote learning -  I work with a lady who is a single mom, 2 young kids, lucky for her we switched to work from home and she doesn't have that issue

Contrary to claims from some on the right, it isn't because "damn liberal government is paying them not to work". 

I do think that some fast food places the owners have just decided that for the time being they can survive with drive thru only (few I see around me have their dining room open) and fewer employees (they may not be able to get enough workers to properly re-open for inside service anyway). 

It's a combination of all those things. The extended unemployment benefits, the stimulus/covid checks, the early child tax payments, the student loan freeze,  the renter protections,  all have absolutely contributed to the issue. They're obviously not the only issue,  but it's disingenuous to say it's one and not the other.

Another issue that you didn't mention is a lot of moms have left the workforce as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

It's a combination of all those things. The extended unemployment benefits, the stimulus/covid checks, the early child tax payments, the student loan freeze,  the renter protections,  all have absolutely contributed to the issue. They're obviously not the only issue,  but it's disingenuous to say it's one and not the other.

Another issue that you didn't mention is a lot of moms have left the workforce as well. 

I thought all the extended unemployment benefits dried up long ago. I know the extra from the fed is gone, and some states ended it (since they administered it) before the feds stopped it.

Are there people out of work since the pandemic started still collecting unemployment (even from the state) almost 2 years later?  In looking for some info, I see that some states are giving extended benefits to people who were let go because of a vaccine mandate. 

Child tax payments, student load freeze, renter protections are things I'm less familiar with.

I haven't seen any hard numbers or analysis of how many people not working today are doing so because of "freebies". That is the repeated cry from conservatives, and I'm not sure its any less disingenuous than what I posted. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Motocraft oil filters. Autozone is the only place that carries them locally and both of my nearest stores are completely out of the one that fits my truck. One store had one filter, period.

Haven't shopped for those in a while, I've got a couple spares on the shelf at home for my motorcycle (one filter fits 2 bikes). I used to have trouble finding them, some auto parts stores carried stuff for motorcycles, some other retailers like Wal-Mart did as well. (And the two nearest auto parts stores are further away and more traffic than Wal-Mart.)   

I was looking for some headlight bulbs for one motorcycle recently and didn't have trouble finding them at Wal-Mart.

The frozen waffle section at my local grocer and other sections are almost completely empty. And I have noticed quite a few things that I buy regularly have increased in price over these times. 

Since October when I was doing the bathroom remodels I'd been looking for an existing wall outlet box. It's the one that has the dog ears to hold to drywall. Every time I was at Lowe's or Walmart I'd look to see if they had any and finally today Lowe's had some, but that whole section is still pretty empty.

13 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Since October when I was doing the bathroom remodels I'd been looking for an existing wall outlet box. It's the one that has the dog ears to hold to drywall. Every time I was at Lowe's or Walmart I'd look to see if they had any and finally today Lowe's had some, but that whole section is still pretty empty.

I was speaking to my electrician, he was telling me that he's having a hard time getting breakers, shunt breakers and even outlet covers. Forget about anything that has a circuit board, you'll pay ten fold if you can find it at all. 

• 3 weeks later...

This could go in the Project thread, but I think it's more fitting here. I ordered my new rotors/wheel bearings on the 16th. They were supposed to come in on the 21st, but that day I got a notice that they were delayed till the 22nd. Yesterday I got a notice that my order was being delivered that day and sure enough, a box was waiting for me when I got home. Unfortunately it was only one of the two that I ordered, so I checked Amazon and it said that my other order "might be lost." Supposedly they came for the same location and supposedly they left the same facility on the same day, but somehow one made it to the local facility and one didn't. Now I just get the "sorry it's delayed" message with no indication on when it will actually arrive. Meanwhile, I can't do poop with one rotor...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm personally being negatively affected by lack of chips.  No, not Ruffles or Doritos... the computer variety.

I've suffered from moderate sleep apnea for a couple of decades now, and at one point had a C-PAP machine.  Well, after my wife and I "separated in the same house", I've been sleeping in my office and just tossed the machine for some stupid reason.  

I went and had another sleep study because my sleep's been bad, and I'm informed by the medical device company that there is a SEVERE shortage of the chips needed to make these machines.  I ordered my machine back in November and they told me it'd be "a couple months or so".  I've now been told I'll be lucky to get my machine by the summertime.  

16 hours ago, darin3 said:

I'm personally being negatively affected by lack of chips.  No, not Ruffles or Doritos... the computer variety.

I've suffered from moderate sleep apnea for a couple of decades now, and at one point had a C-PAP machine.  Well, after my wife and I "separated in the same house", I've been sleeping in my office and just tossed the machine for some stupid reason.  

I went and had another sleep study because my sleep's been bad, and I'm informed by the medical device company that there is a SEVERE shortage of the chips needed to make these machines.  I ordered my machine back in November and they told me it'd be "a couple months or so".  I've now been told I'll be lucky to get my machine by the summertime.  

I'd try another source. I just looked online and they are available on Amazon. Of course, they aren't cheap to purchase outright,  but maybe check with your insurance provider and see if it's something you can get reimbursed for.

Edited by rajncajn

There is definitely a shortage

https://www.cpap.com/blog/cpap-shortage/

One factor is a massive recall by Phillips numbering in the millions, requiring many people to need new machines at once. 

My sister used to work for a medical supply company dealing specifically with C-PAP machines, retired last summer. I'm sure that those people are in a tough situation dealing with customers unhappy they are waiting months for something important like that.

Almost everyone I know (includes sister, one of her sons and several of my riding buddies) who has had one prescribed swear by them and would never stop using them. That's a sizeable item to carry on a bike trip, but those guys tell me they will sacrifice many other things before that. 

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I'd try another source. I just looked online and they are available on Amazon. Of course, they aren't cheap to purchase outright,  but maybe check with your insurance provider and see if it's something you can get reimbursed for.

Yeah I checked too and they're incredibly expensive and I'm quite doubtful my insurance would reimburse me. I may check with them just in case.  The company I am working with is Apria Healthcare, and they are like one of the biggest medical device suppliers in the world so they would have the resources to get stuff elsewhere if they could.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

There is definitely a shortage

https://www.cpap.com/blog/cpap-shortage/

One factor is a massive recall by Phillips numbering in the millions, requiring many people to need new machines at once. 

My sister used to work for a medical supply company dealing specifically with C-PAP machines, retired last summer. I'm sure that those people are in a tough situation dealing with customers unhappy they are waiting months for something important like that.

Almost everyone I know (includes sister, one of her sons and several of my riding buddies) who has had one prescribed swear by them and would never stop using them. That's a sizeable item to carry on a bike trip, but those guys tell me they will sacrifice many other things before that. 

That's right.... Phillips had a recall and Res-Med, the other big manufacturer of these machines, simply can't keep up given the shortage of chips.