[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Supply issues you've experienced

rajncajn

On the baby formula issue... I didn't catch all of it, but there was a story on the news this morning that the govt has opened the market to purchase baby formula from some other countries, so hopefully that will help alleviate some of the issue. I tried searching online for the story, but I get mostly garbage.

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

On the baby formula issue... I didn't catch all of it, but there was a story on the news this morning that the govt has opened the market to purchase baby formula from some other countries, so hopefully that will help alleviate some of the issue. I tried searching online for the story, but I get mostly garbage.

I also heard a story on the news last night, it mentioned Nestle flying product here from Europe. Here is a link to a story about it. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/exclusive-nestle-flies-baby-formula-supplies-us-europe-2022-05-17/

Also a couple interesting articles from Fortune on imports and what the US can or cannot do to change things. Its pretty clear the major problem is too much if it is produced by one company (Abbot with over 40%). Another takeaway was it said that current stock levels are at 57% of normal. Based on some reporting I hear I'd think it is much lower than that, as reports show many empty shelves and parents struggling to find it. Maybe its worse in certain areas due to various factors. 

https://fortune.com/2022/05/17/us-infant-baby-formula-shortage-imports-fda-nutrition-tariffs-usmca/

https://fortune.com/2022/05/18/the-fda-could-easily-solve-the-baby-formula-shortage-by-allowing-more-imports-from-europe-march-furton/

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I also heard a story on the news last night, it mentioned Nestle flying product here from Europe. Here is a link to a story about it. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/exclusive-nestle-flies-baby-formula-supplies-us-europe-2022-05-17/

Also a couple interesting articles from Fortune on imports and what the US can or cannot do to change things. Its pretty clear the major problem is too much if it is produced by one company (Abbot with over 40%). Another takeaway was it said that current stock levels are at 57% of normal. Based on some reporting I hear I'd think it is much lower than that, as reports show many empty shelves and parents struggling to find it. Maybe its worse in certain areas due to various factors. 

https://fortune.com/2022/05/17/us-infant-baby-formula-shortage-imports-fda-nutrition-tariffs-usmca/

https://fortune.com/2022/05/18/the-fda-could-easily-solve-the-baby-formula-shortage-by-allowing-more-imports-from-europe-march-furton/

The empty shelves likely have just as much to do with people hoarding and grocers in particular areas not being able to replenish supplies fast enough through the supply chain, as it does there being an actual shortage.

• Like 1

Target sucks.  No lemons.  No chicken nuggets.  No Triscuits.  Completely bare shelves everywhere.

I don't know why I shop there.  I did need to pick up two prescriptions, otherwise I guess I should have just gone across the street to the Stater Brothers grocery store.

12 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Definitely not. To fill the Truck and boat the other day was $500.00. It's pretty much ridiculous. 

You know that's not gas, right? :lol:

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, darin3 said:

Target sucks.  No lemons.  No chicken nuggets.  No Triscuits.  Completely bare shelves everywhere.

I don't know why I shop there.  I did need to pick up two prescriptions, otherwise I guess I should have just gone across the street to the Stater Brothers grocery store.

OMG my brother works at one of those in the LA area. 

On 5/15/2022 at 4:25 PM, Bobby Brown said:

Let's just stay on the topic you brought up instead.  Please explain what Biden did to cause a baby formula shortage?  If he didn't cause it, then what should he do to mitigate the shortage?

:crickets:

The Wendy Williams of the huddle forums has no answers to basic questions on subjects she posts about.

She is only capable of 'hot takes.'

Edited by Bobby Brown

3 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

:crickets:

The Wendy Williams of the huddle forums has no answers to basic questions on subjects she posts about.

She is only capable of 'hot takes.'

Democrat cities and Democratic politicians  were the ones who shut down an entire economy for Coronavirus knowing damn well what would happen. Once production stopped and those jobs were gone, it was over! Why can't Democrats ever look in the mirror? 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Democrat cities and Democratic politicians  were the ones who shut down an entire economy for Coronavirus knowing damn well what would happen. Once production stopped and those jobs were gone, it was over! Why can't Democrats ever look in the mirror? 

So your answer to why there is a baby formula shortage is Biden did it on purpose.

Good talk.

20 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I'll give you another opportunity at actual discourse.  What policy did Biden enact to create a baby formula shortage?  If he didn't create it, what policies should he enact to mitigate it?

Okay, I'll spell it out for you.  Biden should have rolled back the bumblheaded tariffs and 'trade protectionism' his first week in office instead of reacting to a predictable issue after it became a problem. I believe the tarrifs were recently suspended but they should've been removed permanently and earlier on.  The government also provides WIC grants that only go to two companies which essentially creates monopoly on baby formula.

So, while neither of those things are 'Biden's' policies,  the administration could've been more proactive in hedging the impact before it happened.

I can spit out dozens upon dozens of substantive  issues that I have with Biden's policies.  You can't do one.  Yet here you are, routinely whining about how 'Biden man bad' and 'Biden makes my butt hurt.' 

How embarrassing for you.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, League_Champion said:

That's a bit of a generalization. But one thing that did royally screw our economy was a stimulus package that paid people more for staying home than working. Without those jobs that pay in the 12-20/hour range we're in a terrible labor shortage. And while applications are plentiful, under qualified applicants want 20+/hour, which is driving up overhead and subsequently consumer costs. I just paid 11 bucks for a 6 pack that cost 7 bucks pre covid. Not ok. 

54 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

That's a bit of a generalization. But one thing that did royally screw our economy was a stimulus package that paid people more for staying home than working. Without those jobs that pay in the 12-20/hour range we're in a terrible labor shortage. And while applications are plentiful, under qualified applicants want 20+/hour, which is driving up overhead and subsequently consumer costs. I just paid 11 bucks for a 6 pack that cost 7 bucks pre covid. Not ok. 

I don't think there is strong economic consensus on your claim about the stimulus package causing the labor shortage.  Probably more agreement on your second point though.

I mean, there are certainty labor shortages outside the 12 to 20 range.   A lot of people quit the service industry because it was already a crappy job that got crappier during a pandemic. Lots of earlier than planned retirements and career changes at all pay levels.

https://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/unemployment-benefits/

https://www.businessinsider.com/fed-study-unemployment-benefits-gop-labor-shortage-2022-4

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

don't think there is strong economic consensus on your claim about the stimulus package causing the labor shortage.  Probably more agreement on your second point though.

I mean, there are certainty labor shortages outside the 12 to 20 range.   A lot of people quit the service industry because it was already a crappy job that got crappier during a pandemic. Lots of earlier than planned retirements and career changes at all pay levels

People didn't find new jobs because of crappy pay, they found new jobs because they had no other choice. Manufacturing Plants were forced to shut down, which killed and is still killing the service industry and in turn killed the trucking industry, and so on. Stop trying to overthink it and thank a Democrat. You were warned during the pandemic that this would happen, and here it is. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

People didn't find new jobs because of crappy pay, they found new jobs because they had no other choice.

:rolleyes:

If people were taking any job they could find without a choice we wouldn't be in a labor shortage. Employers almost everywhere are offering enhanced compensation and perks to hire people.  My company gave out the biggest raises company wide in my 20+ year career there as we were scared of losing more people who 'chose' a different job.  The US  literally has more jobs than workers and this is an unprecedented time for career 'choices.'

#Commonsense

For Christ's sake, you have the the dumbest takes. Whoever is telling you what to believe is obviously pranking you.  

4.3 million Americans quit their jobs in August 2021 alone, equivalent to about 3% of the workforce and more than the population of Los Angeles. And companies are desperate to hire -- there were 10.4 million job openings that same month. 

Since the start of the pandemic, 20% of workers have changed careers, according to a survey from Prudential. 46% of employees are considering a career change, per data collected by Microsoft.

34% of millennials say they will look for a new job once the pandemic subsides, a larger percentage than any other generation.

https://www.fool.com/research/20-percent-americans-changed-careers/

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

:rolleyes:

If people were taking any job they could find without a choice we wouldn't be in a labor shortage. Employers almost everywhere are offering enhanced compensation and perks to hire people.  My company gave out the biggest raises company wide in my 20+ year career there as we were scared of losing more people who 'chose' a different job.  The US  literally has more jobs than workers and this is an unprecedented time for career 'choices.'

#Commonsense

For Christ's sake, you have the the dumbest takes. Whoever is telling you what to believe is obviously pranking you.  

Keep voting Democrat dumbass, see where that gets you. It got us here 😂

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Keep voting Democrat dumbass, see where that gets you. It got us here 😂

I didn't say anything about voting. I was talking about basic fundamentals of the current job market that you were completely ignorant of.

There are low info Dem and Republican voters.  We all get to see how low info you are everyday.