[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gun owners - do you shoot guns off to celebrate things?

stevegrab

28 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

not knowing where it will come down is dangerous. And to a man every person with gun experience here said they would NOT do that.

That's very irresponsible, any person who would do that is an idiot. We are trained to never ever fire a round at what you can't see. Now downrange you can fire a 556 down range about 2 miles (with zero accuracy). But up in the air, not a chance. 

Edited by League_Champion

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

discharge it into the ground if I wanted it cleared.

Absolutely. To me that's criminal. Any idiot that's dumb enough to blindly fire any projectile should be in jail. It gives responsible gun owners a bad name. That's why people like good old Steve hates gun owners and is afraid of guns. 

No, not only do I not shoot things to celebrate stuff but I don't even own a gun. Just wasn't part of the fabric of things for me growing up. 

4 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Take a class

Honestly, I have no deserve to own a gun or shoot anything with it. 

Just now, LordOpie said:

Yeah, i guess you don't deserve?

:D

Nope, happy not too.  

:irishwink:

Plus, my wife, who absolutely loves every animal ever born, would probably shoot me with my own gun. 

But everybody has to own at least a half dozen guns, this UHmerica got damnit...

Only reason I'll consider getting one is if the nuts on the right keep threatening everybody that disagrees with them with violence. 

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

But everybody has to own at least a half dozen guns, this UHmerica got damnit...

Only reason I'll consider getting one is if the nuts on the right keep threatening everybody that disagrees with them with violence. 

Crazy Lib! The ones committing violent crimes are UNREGISTERED gun owners in violent Democratic Cities. These are not exactly law biding citizens who went through proper channels and background checks to purchase a gun. Stupid ass! 

Edited by League_Champion

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

Crazy Lib! The ones committing violent crimes are UNREGISTERED gun owners in violent Democratic Cities. These are not exactly law biding citizens who went through proper channels and background checks to purchase a gun. Stupid ass! 

Ah yes, of course your brainwashed mind thinks that. And you believe every white CON with a gun is a good guy. Like those dudes who hunted down Aubery in GA like they were on safari in Africa. Or the cop in MN who killed his suspect for no good reason, just another misunderstood good guy with a gun trying to remove black people from the US. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Ah yes, of course your brainwashed mind thinks that. And you believe every white CON with a gun is a good guy. Like those dudes who hunted down Aubery in GA like they were on safari in Africa. Or the cop in MN who killed his suspect for no good reason, just another misunderstood good guy with a gun trying to remove black people from the US. 

I didn't say a dam thing about race. Wow, you're such a racist Steve! There's no place for that here. I'm deeply offended

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Ah yes, of course your brainwashed mind thinks that.

That's not really something that's up for debate. 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2018/mar/12/john-faso/do-illegal-gun-owners-commit-most-gun-crime-rep-fa/

The last time the government tracked this kind of data was in 2004 when the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics surveyed inmates in federal and state prisons. Part of the survey asked inmates who had a gun during their crime where they originally got it.

Dr. Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, was part of a team that used the data to estimate how many illegally possessed guns.

In the 13 states with the fewest restrictions on gun ownership, 40 percent of inmates illegally obtained the gun they used, Webster said. Only about 13 percent purchased the gun from a store or pawn shop.

In the other 37 states, including New York state, 60 percent of inmates illegally procured the gun they used, Webster said.  

"If you look at the most stringent standards for legal gun ownership, it’s more like 65 percent," Webster said.

Just now, rajncajn said:

Its all liberals and democratic run cities, all conservatives with guns are good guys....that is the view that LC presents, its clear as day to me. 

Just now, stevegrab said:

Its all liberals and democratic run cities, all conservatives with guns are good guys....that is the view that LC presents, its clear as day to me. 

I'm not going to try to debate liberal vs conservative policies and their effectiveness at stemming or promoting gun violence,  but it's no secret either that the places that we have the worst crime rates are very largely controlled by Democrats. IMO, that's something they really need to look to address but,  like you,  tend to deny any correlation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

I'm not going to try to debate liberal vs conservative policies and their effectiveness at stemming or promoting gun violence,  but it's no secret either that the places that we have the worst crime rates are very largely controlled by Democrats. IMO, that's something they really need to look to address but,  like you,  tend to deny any correlation. 

That's exactly right. And these crimes are commonly committed with STOLEN UNREGISTERED GUNS, not legally purchased registered guns. So Steve needs to stop his BS. Does he think these criminals legally purchased these guns? Blame your Mayor, not the guns. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

That's exactly right. And these crimes are commonly committed with STOLEN UNREGISTERED GUNS, not legally purchased registered guns. So Steve needs to stop his BS. Does he think these criminals legally purchased these guns? Blame your Mayor, not the guns. 

On the flip side,  Republicans have either done nothing or actively have promoted gun culture in our country. It has caused a lot of irresponsible gun owners and what I would call gun nuts who glorify the gun culture and keeps pushing the envelope. A lot of the blame for the Rittenhouse situation and a lot of these mass shootings should be shouldered by those that promote and support that culture. Republicans really need to get out of bed with the gun lobby and be more realistic and open to gun legislation.

Gun ownership should simply be matter-of-fact. It shouldn't be an entire culture on its own. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Large cities have more crime, pretty sure that goes for the entire world, not just the US. And in the US the people in large cities prefer Democrats more often than Republicans. Is there some correlation, maybe. I know that people on the right believe there is, as I hear them blaming Democrats for the crime repeatedly. 

I did find something interesting in a quick bit of research, Dallas has a Dem mayor (pop 1.25M) while Ft. Worth has a Rep mayor (pop 800K) they two are part of the same metro area, and Dallas has much higher rate (about 40% total, but more on violent crime). 

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/dallas/crime

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/fort-worth/crime

25 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Large cities have more crime, pretty sure that goes for the entire world, not just the US. And in the US the people in large cities prefer Democrats more often than Republicans. Is there some correlation, maybe. I know that people on the right believe there is, as I hear them blaming Democrats for the crime repeatedly. 

I did find something interesting in a quick bit of research, Dallas has a Dem mayor (pop 1.25M) while Ft. Worth has a Rep mayor (pop 800K) they two are part of the same metro area, and Dallas has much higher rate (about 40% total, but more on violent crime). 

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/dallas/crime

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/fort-worth/crime

Regardless of the reasons,  when you're in charge, you take responsibility. That's what leaders do. We have no leaders anymore.

Big city, suburb, small town, whatever. The point is that legally permitted gun owners aren't the ones responsible for the staggering murder rates that we are currently seeing. These are thugs who couldn't legally buy a gun if they tried. Take Philadelphia for instance. 

“Philadelphia’s 2021 murder rate easily surpassed our all-time record of 503 people murdered in 1990 and has passed the 499 homicides that happened in 2020. This is not a record any city leader or Philadelphia resident should be proud of. Reducing gun violence in Philadelphia should be the number one priority for all city leaders in 2022. There are at least 560 families who have lost a loved one in 2021 and that is totally unacceptable! I remain committed to doing everything in my power to reduce the homicide rate in our city in 2022.

The following ten states have the highest gun deaths per capita (per 100,000):

1. Alaska - 24.4
  2. Mississippi - 24.2
  3. Wyoming - 22.3
  4. New Mexico 22.3
  5. Alabama - 22.2
  6. Louisiana - 22.1
  7. Missouri - 20.6
  8. South Carolina - 19.9
  9. Arkansas - 19.3
  10. Montana - 19.3

Apparently there are a bunch of big cities in Alaska, Mississippi, and Wyoming with liberals stealing guns and killing people.  

50 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

1. Alaska - 24.4
  2. Mississippi - 24.2
  3. Wyoming - 22.3
  4. New Mexico 22.3
  5. Alabama - 22.2
  6. Louisiana - 22.1
  7. Missouri - 20.6
  8. South Carolina - 19.9
  9. Arkansas - 19.3
  10. Montana - 19.3

Apparently there are a bunch of big cities in Alaska, Mississippi, and Wyoming with liberals stealing guns and killing people.  

Not surprisingly those states are also at the top of gun ownership. More guns available, will result in more in the hands of all types of people, from the responsible gun owner down thru the less responsible and careful to the criminals. 

Not sure if this was your source, but I was shocked to read that nearly 60% of all gun deaths are self inflicted. 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/gun-deaths-per-capita-by-state

The point of most Republicans I've heard address this is "gun violence is the worst in big cities (Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis) which are controlled by Democrats and are a safe haven for criminals."  I think that ignores a lot of other variables, and is mostly just a political view. 

59 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

1. Alaska - 24.4
  2. Mississippi - 24.2
  3. Wyoming - 22.3
  4. New Mexico 22.3
  5. Alabama - 22.2
  6. Louisiana - 22.1
  7. Missouri - 20.6
  8. South Carolina - 19.9
  9. Arkansas - 19.3
  10. Montana - 19.3

Nobody said anything about liberals stealing guns.

Jackson, Mississippi hits all-time homicide record (nypost.com)

Mayor of Jackson, MS

Chokwe Antar Lumumba - Wikipedia

Now, that is the state capital as well, so the governor definitely should shoulder a lot of the blame.

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The point of most Republicans I've heard address this is "gun violence is the worst in big cities (Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis) which are controlled by Democrats and are a safe haven for criminals."  I think that ignores a lot of other variables, and is mostly just a political view. 

:facepalm: