[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cardinals vs Rams (MNF)

League_Champion

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Agree, any way that you slice it, he had to go. But knowing there were problems they should of traded him instead of just releasing him. 

They would have needed to do that sooner as the trade deadline had passed when they cut him.  Plus i don't think any team would take on his contract at that point.

3 minutes ago, Big John said:

They would have needed to do that sooner as the trade deadline had passed when they cut him.  Plus i don't think any team would take on his contract at that point.

I'm guessing that those problems didn't just pop up. They've apparently always had issues. Don't you have to at least try to trade him? 

I'm guessing that those problems didn't just pop up. They've apparently always had issues. Don't you have to at least try to trade him? 

There has been talk that things were not working out, that OBJ was unhappy etc. But then he's been unhappy since the day he was traded from the NY limelight to the CLE darkness. Even though his buddy Landry wanted him here, he felt like it was a bad thing. I think he never really gave his complete effort and always wanted to be out. 

They should have tried to trade him, but Big John is right there weren't many teams willing to take on his contract, or his drama. They didn't have to even release, could have simply let him sit and rot. But the drama he was creating (his dad with the video etc) became too much. They had enough, worked out a financial deal that saved them some $$$ and let him go find happiness elsewhere. We'll see how long that lasts in LA, I suspect the warm weather and being in the spotlight will help his ego. 

As for the playoffs, first this is only the second year with the extra wild card teams, which created 2 more games, so we have 6 instead of 4 on wild card weekend. 4 of the 6 were blowouts, more than half, and one of the other games was only competitive at the end when Dallas tried to make a comeback. This would be like having 3 of 4 games on wild card weekend being blowouts.  I don't recall anything like that, certainly not where the games felt like they were over at half time. Looking back thru the past the average margin of victory in the wild card games is rarely over 7.  OK 2016 season was pretty bad, average there was 19 and the closest game was 13. 2015 had 2 blowouts and 2014 was also bad. 

As for the "I'd be fine without wild cards" well they've exited in the NFL for a really long time, like since the merger over 50 years ago. People "may be fine without them" but expecting them to go away is foolish. I'm 57 and don't really remember a time before Wild Card teams, I do remember them increasing and then being reduced again. Maybe a history lesson is needed ;) 

1970 -1977 = one wild card, with 3 division winners, there was no "wild card weekend, just division weekend with 4 games in each conf, then conf champs

1978-1989 = 2 wild card teams, with 3 division winners, coincided with expansion from 14 to 16 games, beginning of Wild Card Weekend, the two played winner advances to face best division winner, 

1990-2001 = 3 wild card teams, now 4 games instead of 2 that weekend, and the #3 division winner doesn't get that weekend off

2002-2019 = back to 2 wild card teams coincides with expansion to 32 teams and reorganization to 8 divisions with 4 teams each, 2 division winners play WC weekend

2020-current = 3 wild card, 2 more games, and only the top seed in each conf gets the bye

So we've had 2 or more wild cards for the past 40+ years, and at least one since the merger. Yes safe to say the Wild Cards are here to stay.

Edited by stevegrab

Someone has been hitting the weed a bit too much and losing memory.  Wildcard weekend has traditionally been one of the most exciting weekends of NFL football. 

Just look at the close scores over the last two years.  Two games in the 2019 season went into overtime. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Someone has been hitting the weed a bit too much and losing memory.  Wildcard weekend has traditionally been one of the most exciting weekends of NFL football. 

Just look at the close scores over the last two years.  Two games in the 2019 season went into overtime. 

Maybe he tuned out after 2016 and just assumed they were all just as bad as that year

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/index.htm#all_playoff_results

And some of the blowouts were still a game into Q4, for example SEA over DET 26-6 was a single score game until SEA added a TD midway in Q4. Similar for GB over NYG with a one score lead late in Q3. 

Hmm, they talked a lot last night about it being special, the first playoff game on a Monday night. Notice they didn't say first on a Monday, since the NFL had Wild Card playoff games on Monday twice in the past, in 1983 and 88, when Sunday was Christmas and the NFL didn't play games on that day back then. The wild part of this, the Rams played in both of those games. 

I don't believe there were any other NFL playoff games on Monday. 

20 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Hence, "Super Wildcard Weekend". 

Pretty sure they used that name last year when the 2 extra games were added, and before having a game on Monday night. Its just a made up name to make it sound more important than ever before. You know kind of like Super Bowl instead of NFL Championship.

I guess with more games it is more football, but as we saw it was more Crappy than Super  ;) 

Just now, stevegrab said:

I guess with more games it is more football, but as we saw it was more Crappy than Super

I'll be the first to tell you that it was a disgrace and embarrassment that the Eagles made the playoffs. They had no business even sniffing a playoff teams jock. But you know the NFL, they'll probably add even more scrub teams next season. 

• Like 1

I'll be the first to tell you that it was a disgrace and embarrassment that the Eagles made the playoffs. They had no business even sniffing a playoff teams jock. But you know the NFL, they'll probably add even more scrub teams next season. 

Right, since they added two playoff teams last year, the first playoff expansion in about 30 years, they'll add even more really soon. 

:rolleyes:   

The Cowboys, Patriots, Cardinals and Steelers all looked horrible in the playoffs, only one of them was a 7th seed that wouldn't have made it before the expanded playoffs.  So exactly how many teams should make the playoffs? Should we even have conference championship games? 

9 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Probably should have never traded for him in the first place.  We can play shoulda woulda coulda all day long, with virtually every NFL team. 

That's right, it's OBJ's fault. Not Baker Mayfield's. I was right, you were wrong. Say it!

Mayfield is not a starting NFL QB and OBJ just proved it. 

11 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's right, it's OBJ's fault. Not Baker Mayfield's. I was right, you were wrong. Say it!

Mayfield is not a starting NFL QB and OBJ just proved it. 

didn’t baker break the rookie td record several years ago?

is obj drawing the top db with the rams, or getting the nickel or dime? 

seems like obj (et all) are benefiting from being on the rams. Maybe he can’t handle being a #1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

How does that translate to his current gameplay? 

It speaks to his development. 

plus, the browns were heavily impacted by injuries (including him) and covid.

I do not believe that this season is a proper measure of his talent (or lack there of)

18 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Agree, it does. And he's gone backwards. 

In 2020, the team was 11-5.

he threw for 3500, 26 td, 8 int.  Last 9 games he threw 1 int.

if you believe that he is now magically a pitiful qb I am not sure you understand how it works

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of Kyler I am not clear exactly what his core dysfunction is. Not good enough as a pocket passer? Doesn't read D? Goes to his first read too often? Skittish under pressure? Commitment, wants to play baseball? Not a leader? Maybe some combination of all of the above. He certainly hasn't responded well to adversity, maybe because he hasn't had enough of it until now. 

Edited by purplemonster