[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OUCH! Week 14 byes!

DMD

ATL, CHI, GB, IND, WAS, and NO

six teams off in the thick of fantasy playoffs and contest finals.

That's gonna take some thinking about.

I'll be honest, I only play in 32 Homers these days, so I haven't kept up with regular leagues since the extra game was added.

Would the week 14 byes affect fantasy regular season or week 1 of playoffs?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chester said:

I'll be honest, I only play in 32 Homers these days, so I haven't kept up with regular leagues since the extra game was added.

It does for bigger leagues that have more teams make the playoffs. Most big contests will use Weeks 14 - 17 to determine their winners as well.

6 hours ago, chester said:

Depends, but I suspect most leagues that used weeks 14-16 for playoffs before last year, extended their regular season one game and still had 3 weeks of playoffs. So this is the final week of regular season, which will still impact thinks. I find it hard enough to build a good team, I'm not going to downgrade players just because they have a bye week 14. 

Looking at the full schedule I see byes don't start until week 6, then occur every week but 12 (Thanksgiving) thru week 14. That 5 weeks to start the season, and 4 to end it without byes. For fantasy purposes moving that start to week 5 would be better. But I suspect the league and/or their partners prefer this. 

Keep in mind, the bye weeks play a big part in schedule making process, so its not always easy to just say "move these byes to this other week".  For example I see two weeks with just 2 teams, why not combine that into one week and have one fewer week with byes. 

DMD is talking about leagues like RTS which uses week 14 as their first round of the playoffs.

The FFPC is even worse as week 13 is the 1st round of the playoffs and week 14 is the leagues championship game.

Taylor will now have byed in week 14 back to back years.  I faded Taylor in FFPC and RTS last year because of the week 14 bye and of course it crushed me with him being the #1 RB.

CMC has now byed in the FFPC playoffs for a 3rd straight year but you would have never known it since he was injured the last 2 years.

So what this means is the consensus #1 overall pick with bye during the FFPC playoffs for a 3rd straight season.

2020 CMC

2021 CMC

2022 Taylor

The FFPC Main event is for $1,000,000 this year so if you draw pick 1 are you taking Taylor with $1,000,000 on the line ?

If you take Taylor you get him for an extra regular season game to try and get a top 2 seed which gives you auto birth to the championship round.

If you don't get that top 2 seed and end up #3 or #4 you need to win 2 games to get there.  Without Taylor 1 of those weeks going to be tough.

RTS same deal you get Taylor for an extra regular season week to try for a top 2 seed to auto berth the finals but if you don't get it you will need to win 14 without Taylor.

Now we add in 6 teams (most ever in week 14 for bye).

I knew this would happen but didn't know it be Indy 2 years in a row. 

1 hour ago, Henry Muto said:

DMD is talking about leagues like RTS which uses week 14 as their first round of the playoffs.

The FFPC is even worse as week 13 is the 1st round of the playoffs and week 14 is the leagues championship game.

Taylor will now have byed in week 14 back to back years.  I faded Taylor in FFPC and RTS last year because of the week 14 bye and of course it crushed me with him being the #1 RB.

CMC has now byed in the FFPC playoffs for a 3rd straight year but you would have never known it since he was injured the last 2 years.

So what this means is the consensus #1 overall pick with bye during the FFPC playoffs for a 3rd straight season.

2020 CMC

2021 CMC

2022 Taylor

The FFPC Main event is for $1,000,000 this year so if you draw pick 1 are you taking Taylor with $1,000,000 on the line ?

If you take Taylor you get him for an extra regular season game to try and get a top 2 seed which gives you auto birth to the championship round.

If you don't get that top 2 seed and end up #3 or #4 you need to win 2 games to get there.  Without Taylor 1 of those weeks going to be tough.

RTS same deal you get Taylor for an extra regular season week to try for a top 2 seed to auto berth the finals but if you don't get it you will need to win 14 without Taylor.

Now we add in 6 teams (most ever in week 14 for bye).

I knew this would happen but didn't know it be Indy 2 years in a row. 

That's a tough call.  Having what might be the best player without a bye for the regular season is a pretty big advantage.  I'd almost be inclined to just take him, and take my chances in the playoffs without him.  At least you know ahead of time what you're getting into (as opposed to just losing your top player right before the playoffs, due to injury).  

Either way, you're not winning a contest like that because of one player.  I think you can make either decision (take Taylor #1 or not) and have it work out, depending on who else you draft.  Like they say, championships aren't won in the first round (usually), but rather in the middle/late rounds.  Of course, I've also heard "you can't win a title in round 1, but you can certainly lose one."  Not sure I buy into that entirely, but a bad first pick can certainly do a lot of damage.  

The thing with the big contests is that every single point counts. The difference of ten points can be dramatic in what you win. So it is a consideration and since there are six teams on bye that week, how many players from those six teams are you willing to be without?

Example if you pick Taylor in round 1 you really can't afford to pick any more guys on bye the next couple rounds.  Last year I seen people start off with CMC/AJ Brown with both on bye week 13 so FFPC 1st round of playoffs so now your down your top 2 guys.  Basically your saying I have to be a top 2 seed and I am not going to win any money in the regular season because I expect to lose in the playoffs.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:49 PM, DMD said:

ATL, CHI, GB, IND, WAS, and NO

six teams off in the thick of fantasy playoffs and contest finals.

That's gonna take some thinking about.

It's looking like weeks 15,16,17 for a 3 -week playoffs is the way to go...  Gotta end your reg season at week 14.  If you do a 2-week playoffs, then you can end the reg season in week 15.     The horrible choice for leagues will be whether to end the reg season on week 14 (with a set of games with 6 teams on a bye... ugh   terrible end to reg serason) or end it on week 15 followed by a 2-week playoff run ending on week 17.  Or a 3 week playoff run ending on week 18 for those that can tolerate all the benchings during that final week 18 of NFL.  Either way it sucks and leagues will have to consider the options, awful that they are.

Rank these awful choices for a league...  

(1) ending reg season on week 14, in which six teams are on bye...ugh..., followed by a standard 3-week playoff period (no play week 18)
(2) ending reg season on week 15, followed by a 2 week playoff period (no playoffs week 18), or
(3) ending reg season on week 15, followed by a 3 week playoff period with final contests on week 18?

pick your poison.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

(1) ending reg season on week 14, in which six teams are on bye...ugh..., followed by a standard 3-week playoff period (no play week 18)
(2) ending reg season on week 15, followed by a 2 week playoff period (no playoffs week 18), or
(3) ending reg season on week 15, followed by a 3 week playoff period with final contests on week 18?

pick your poison.

I'd prefer a shorter Fantasy regular season so that we don't have to worry about teams resting or sitting players, etc. The Fantasy playoffs sucked last season. 

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I'd prefer a shorter Fantasy regular season so that we don't have to worry about teams resting or sitting players, etc. The Fantasy playoffs sucked last season. 

wut?  If you shorten the reg season then you will have playoffs on week 14 with 6 teams on a bye...  

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

wut?  If you shorten the reg season then you will have playoffs on week 14 with 6 teams on a bye...  

And that's what you take into consideration when drafting, you can control player bye weeks, you can't control when or if teams will rest players. It doesn't have to be week 14, how about a 12 or 13 game season? I'm open to anything

Edited by League_Champion

10 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

And that's what you take into consideration when drafting, you can control player bye weeks, you can't control when or if teams will rest players. It doesn't have to be week 14, how about a 12 or 13 game season? I'm open to anything

OK,,, I got it.  I had misunderstood.

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

pick your poison.

How is #1 awful ? That is the preferred way.  Everyone has their player go on bye during the regular season it just so happens you got your guys weeks 1-13 while everyone else got a bye week 14 all regular season games.  Sure I would prefer to have all my players for that final regular season game but it's 1 week just like week 9 is 1 week (6 teams on bye week 9)

FFPC and RTS don't let me make their schedules so I am forced to live with it or don't play in their contest.  Them your choices.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, Dcat said:

pick your poison.

If your league has avoided having playoffs in the final week of the regular season for a long time I don't see that changing. And if you've always used 3 weeks for playoffs changing that is a major shift (fewer teams, or drastically different playoff format). At least with the week 14 byes you know what teams/players won't be available and can avoid those players if that is your strategy. Good luck figuring out which NFL team is going to decide to bench some key players in week 18 before a single game is played.