[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Missing Titan Submarine...oooof!

irish

Seems like an inherently unsafe venture. The fact that they have no way to tell where it is after losing contact with it is mind boggling. Maybe there is no reasonable (feasible, acceptable cost) solution. 

I suspect there will be many changes to this adventure in the future, if they continue. 

I was reading more last night, and apparently on Sunday the US Navy detected the implosion of the sub and notified those working on the rescue.

Which means on Tue/Wed when people were complaining the US was holding up some authorization for people/equipment, they were already likely dead for days. Yet people were blaming the US (and certain leaders) for holding up this rescue operation. 

So in the future, will the sub be built to higher safety standards? Or will there at least be some better way to track it as it descends, know where it is and the status of it? Or is that technology not available or too expensive? 

52 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

So in the future, will the sub be built to higher safety standards? Or will there at least be some better way to track it as it descends, know where it is and the status of it? Or is that technology not available or too expensive? 

Considering the guy who built it also died in it, I doubt it. The issue with it is that he built it as quickly and cheaply as possible,  opting for carbon fiber over titanium. The problem with carbon fiber is that it is much more rigid than steel and over time can more easily develop stress fractures even though it is technically just as, of not stronger than titanium simply because it has less flexibility.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Considering the guy who built it also died in it, I doubt it. The issue with it is that he built it as quickly and cheaply as possible,  opting for carbon fiber over titanium. The problem with carbon fiber is that it is much more rigid than steel and over time can more easily develop stress fractures even though it is technically just as, of not stronger than titanium simply because it has less flexibility.

Do you think they will replace the sub and continue their excursions to the wreckage?

I would think they will, and in order to get people on board they will need more safety.

Maybe I'm wrong, but understand this was not the first voyage. Also that after some prior trips they had to rebuild the hull because of some fatigue it got from repeated use. (Stuff was in an article about a couple suing to get a refund for their deposit after many delays, for a voyage booked something like 5-6 years ago.)

Either way, I'd never spend the money or take that risk. But them I do ride a "murder cycle" as some call them. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Do you think they will replace the sub and continue their excursions to the wreckage?

I would think they will, and in order to get people on board they will need more safety.

Maybe I'm wrong, but understand this was not the first voyage. Also that after some prior trips they had to rebuild the hull because of some fatigue it got from repeated use. (Stuff was in an article about a couple suing to get a refund for their deposit after many delays, for a voyage booked something like 5-6 years ago.)

Either way, I'd never spend the money or take that risk. But them I do ride a "murder cycle" as some call them. 

They who? The owner/CEO, the guy that was behind the whole operation, is dead.

While this sounds horrific, it's also comforting to know that they probably were gone before they even knew what was happening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-sucky65934887

What happens in an implosion?

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.

The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.

A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.

When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.

Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:45 PM, rajncajn said:

They who? The owner/CEO, the guy that was behind the whole operation, is dead.

Yes that is a possibility, maybe even something likely. I have no details on the company and their plans for the future. That's why I was "just wondering".

On 6/24/2023 at 12:40 AM, Bobby Brown said:

As far as the deceased, I struggle to find too much sympathy besides the 19 year old who was may have been coerced by his dad's lead.

Not trying to make this sound like a hot take....but.....

Doesn't sound like he was coerced at all, actually quite excited and got the seat his mother was supposed to occupy. Might have been a worse outcome had he and his 17 year old sister left without either parent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/titanic-submarine-footage-implosion-sound-oceangate-latest-b2364026.html