[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFFC Playoff Contest as Rigged as the NFL

Bobby Brown

That was a good statement at the end. That guy Ambrosius seems like he gets it. It will be interesting to see how much business is affected. But yeah like Bobby said they are now going to have to go back and look at other results. I'm no law expert but firing alone seems insufficient. That employee could be sued you'd imagine and also not sure if this rises to criminal not just civil penalty. 

This could be a death blow to high stakes contests possibly?  I've never been involved with NFFC but have been involved in with other contest on the verge of winning 100s of thousands before only winning 10s of thousands.  Other high stake companies, assuming they are on the level,  have to be a bit peeved. 

I await my class action lawsuit settlement check of $32.34.  Then I'll invest it in fantasy football.  :headbang:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The more money involved the more likely this happens. 

Sounds like their system needs more safeguards, like why can an employee modify some lineup after players were active? That should send an alert to numerous people. 

7 hours ago, stevegrab said:

like why can an employee modify some lineup after players were active? 

I don't know the answer to that.  Apparently this particular  contest is a bit odd where you are allowed to swap out starters in later games and they use something called multipliers if you have a guy in more than one game.  

Perhaps the cheaters involved believed the setup made it easier than a regular game to get away with?

Ironically, I tried their contest this year for the first time.  Not the $150K payout, but a smaller one.  I think the $150K version costs $200.... The one I did cost $50.  Wasn't entirely sure I understood the strategy behind it, and it was just a few minutes before kickoff, so I picked the smaller one just to try it.  :lol:   Now that we're a couple of weeks into it, I actually like the format because it's a little different than the ones I've done on RTSports and FFPC (which are usually "pick X players from X teams" and ride them out).  This NFFC one was something like.... 

WC Round - Pick 12 players from 12 different teams
Div Round - Pick 12 players from the 8 remaining teams (max 2/team)
Conf Round - Pick 12 players from the remaining 4 teams (3 per team)
SB - Pick X players from each team (can't remember if it's 4 or 6?). :thinking:

The cool part is that you can sub out each week.  Player's team loses, no big deal... You plug in somebody else.  That said, there's a bonus for using the same player(s) consecutive weeks, so it serves you well to pick players who advance.  A player picked in Week 1 gets double points in Week 2 (assuming you keep them in your lineup), triple in Week 3, etc.  

The only thing that I found kind of odd was the lineup requirements.  I think it's 2QB, 3RB, 5WR/TE, a TMPK, and TMDST.  Not a big deal... Just different that there's no TE required, I guess. 

Whole thing is strange. There were timestamps and a record of transactions? So basically there was a full tracking system in place, they were just hoping that someone wouldn't notice? if that is the case, this could have been the first time this happened possibly, as that seems pretty easy to detect. 

The scam was caught by other players who were monitoring the cheater because they had a similar lineup and they wanted to evaluate ways to overtake the cheater.  They took a screenshot of the original lineup when texting each other.  So either...

The auditing system in place was horrendous

The insider who got fired was responsible for auditing 

Or likely both.

2 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The scam was caught by other players who were monitoring the cheater because they had a similar lineup and they wanted to evaluate ways to overtake the cheater.  They took a screenshot of the original lineup when texting each other.  So either...

The auditing system in place was horrendous

The insider who got fired was responsible for auditing 

Or likely both.

The cheating employee is from MN too. I can TP his house if it helps, he's only 20 min away 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3