[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's a weird time

DMD

Player are signing contracts at the last second. Starting fantasy lineups are set. But mostly, I have no more drafts to do. And that's weird.

I remember seeing one of the talking heads on an NFL football show, in late August talking about the draft among commentators and saying how it was their first draft. I've done 34 so far. It always seems odd when the preseason is over.

Odder still that there will be so many surprises in Week 1 because NFL teams do not show anything in the preseason, they don't even play starters. And with 14 new offensive coordinators, there are going to be a lot of changes that just could never be seen.

Good luck to everyone this year. May you navigate the minefield of player injuries to reach your championship.

:default_pointstosky:

47 minutes ago, DMD said:

Player are signing contracts at the last second. Starting fantasy lineups are set. But mostly, I have no more drafts to do. And that's weird.

I remember seeing one of the talking heads on an NFL football show, in late August talking about the draft among commentators and saying how it was their first draft. I've done 34 so far. It always seems odd when the preseason is over.

Odder still that there will be so many surprises in Week 1 because NFL teams do not show anything in the preseason, they don't even play starters. And with 14 new offensive coordinators, there are going to be a lot of changes that just could never be seen.

Good luck to everyone this year. May you navigate the minefield of player injuries to reach your championship.

:default_pointstosky:

Yeah, I'm finishing one last draft (Round 20) on FFPC right now.  Just 48 hours ago, I was in the middle of 5 slow drafts with a live draft upcoming on both Monday and Tuesday evenings, all while whittling down and posting final rosters for several dynasty leagues. Now, it's the quiet before the storm so to speak.  Just set all of my lineups.  Still need to make some weekly picks, etc.  

Given that I do a lot of dynasty leagues, this feeling comes twice a year for me.  Once now, and once in May when all of the rookie drafts wrap up.  This, of course, is different in that NFL action is right around the corner. It feels a little bit like the night before March Madness kicks off.  Everybody has their brackets set, knowing that in the next few days, a good chunk of those brackets are going to be destroyed by the unexpected.  Only difference here is most of us have waivers to help with the recovery from the destruction that is NFL Week 1.  :lol: 

For sure, one of the reasons our league has always pushed for the latest possible draft. I think we used to do it Labor Day evening, then moved it to the day after, in the evening. I remember the one year the kickoff game was on Wednesday, and people better make sure to set their starting line-up ASAP. 

My last pick in the draft, somebody that may not even stick around beyond week 1, D'Onta Foreman (RB-CLE) who had been part of the final cut to 53, then resigned with a contract. 

PS Good luck to your Cowboys, after week 1 :lol:

My dynasty draft is always around labor day.  Unfortunately that means that when guys procrastinate and miss the keeper deadline, or just go MIA for a while, I'm making last minute fixes on the day of the draft.  I think this is the last year I'll run the league.  Next year one of the other guys can do it so I can focus on my team, or the league just goes poof.  

I will say this much - I could build way better teams in July and early August then you can now. All my sleepers and value plays keep rising, particularly running backs. Getting that handcuff is very hard. If you draft Christian McCaffrey, you better spend big to get Jordan Mason. And Jaylen Wright is just the No. 3 in Miami, but you have to draft him like he was a starter if you own Mostert or Achane. Drafting late means avoiding players that got injured, but really JJ McCarthy was the only one.

And mark my words, 2 or 3 big FF guys are getting injured this weekend. And the hammies will be sore since no one gets into game shape in the summer anymore.

5 hours ago, DMD said:

I will say this much - I could build way better teams in July and early August then you can now. All my sleepers and value plays keep rising, particularly running backs. Getting that handcuff is very hard. If you draft Christian McCaffrey, you better spend big to get Jordan Mason. And Jaylen Wright is just the No. 3 in Miami, but you have to draft him like he was a starter if you own Mostert or Achane. Drafting late means avoiding players that got injured, but really JJ McCarthy was the only one.

And mark my words, 2 or 3 big FF guys are getting injured this weekend. And the hammies will be sore since no one gets into game shape in the summer anymore.

Can you please let me know who they are?  Thanks in advance.  :oldunsure:

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Can you please let me know who they are?  Thanks in advance.  :oldunsure:

So you're saying you want to see my starting lineups?

16 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

My dynasty draft is always around labor day.  Unfortunately that means that when guys procrastinate and miss the keeper deadline, or just go MIA for a while, I'm making last minute fixes on the day of the draft.  I think this is the last year I'll run the league.  Next year one of the other guys can do it so I can focus on my team, or the league just goes poof.  

Being commissioner is a thankless job. Our league has been around close to 30 years, guy who started it asked me to be co-commish with him. We often ask for others to jump in, figure if we get a few more rotated thru (we can teach them and one of us stay on) it would help. Now even with the online draft we're having to help people and another owner kind enough to host our zoom meeting (he has a paid account for work with unlimited time), and that poor guy was having to jump thru hoops at times to help others out. 

A couple times it got to my pick and I'd announce "Ok I am now taking some time to figure out who I'm picking after assisting others with the draft". 

41 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

@DMD I still have a draft on Saturday if you want to tag along for some more action.

That will be fascinating since you'll have seen four teams already play - BAL, KC, GB, PH will have a ton of fantasy options.

Curious for for the leagues that draft after games have been played, do you get the points for players that already their week 1 game, as part of your week 1 score? 

Good luck to everybody, even the weird people ;) 

35 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Curious for for the leagues that draft after games have been played, do you get the points for players that already their week 1 game, as part of your week 1 score? 

Good luck to everybody, even the weird people ;) 

we are able to start them in FFPC.... changes the value of players a bit. can help you win a week (important because the regular season is shorter than most leagues).