[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dwight Freeney

CaptainHook

With three sacks in each of Indianapolis' last two games, Freeney, wreaking havoc now on quarterbacks leaguewide, leads the NFL with 13 sacks. That already ties, with three games still remaining, his career-best, established in his rookie campaign. And almost as significant is that it gives Freeney, the Colts' first-round pick in the 2002 draft, 37 sacks in less than three full seasons.

The league doesn't maintain official statistics on such esoteric matters, but it's believed to be the second-most sacks ever recorded by a defender in his first three NFL seasons. Among the top 20 sackers in NFL history, only former Chicago Bears standout Richard Dent, with 37½ sacks in his first three seasons, has more.

By way of comparison, Jevon Kearse had 36 sacks in three seasons. Bruce Smith posted 33½, Simeon Rice 27½, Jason Taylor 16½ and Michael Strahan 13. Even counting the two years that he spent in the USFL before moving to the NFL, the great Reggie White had one-half sack fewer in his first three professional seasons than Freeney has now. With three games remaining, and on a roll in which he is registering sacks in bunches, Freeney could have 40 sacks on his career resume by the end of the season.

link

The league doesn't maintain official statistics on such esoteric matters, but it's believed to be the second-most sacks ever recorded by a defender in his first three NFL seasons. Among the top 20 sackers in NFL history, only former Chicago Bears standout Richard Dent, with 37½ sacks in his first three seasons, has more.

link

615336[/snapback]

That says it all - who has the weaker supporting cast, but still puts up those #'s.

Nice stat line. Dent was an 8th rounder out of Tennesse State FWIW.

I can't believe the way he was getting past Ogden last night. Ogden, the best LT in the game :eek:. Very impressive.

621804[/snapback]

From out perspective at the game, we were screaming for holding calls. It seemed like Ogden was holding him every other play.

I have a suggestion to all future opponents of Freeney. CHANGE UP THE OprahING SNAP COUNT. He is moving before the ball actually gets to the qbs hands. Even all world Ogden couldn't react fast enough. I blame Boller for that.

Edited by BIG A

He is SO fast off the ball NO ONE can block him 1 on 1 especially on that surface not even the great Ogden. What I don't get is why didn't they double him? It was obvious Ogden just wasn't fast enough to get to him, so why didn't they help him at all. That's not fair to Ogden. NO ONE can block Freeney 1 on 1 on that surface. He's just too fast.

He is SO fast off the ball NO ONE can block him 1 on 1 especially on that surface not even the great Ogden. What I don't get is why didn't they double him? It was obvious Ogden just wasn't fast enough to get to him, so why didn't they help him at all. That's not fair to Ogden. NO ONE can block Freeney 1 on 1 on that surface. He's just too fast.

621999[/snapback]

He can't be doubled. He can't be singled for that matter. The only way to slow him down is to change up the snap count. Either that or throw the ball at his N U T S a few times.

He can't be doubled. He can't be singled for that matter.  The only way to slow him down is to change up the snap count.  Either that or throw the ball at his N U T S a few times.

622013[/snapback]

I hear you, but there has to be someway to stop him. He has 14 or 15 sacks not 100 LOL. Use a RB or a TE but there is a way to get 2 bodies on him. All I'm saying is on that surface there is NO way he can be blocked 1 on 1 he's just too fast off the snap. If Ogden can't block him NO ONE can because he's the best. Let's get into the mind of Ogden today. I bet he's NEVER been beaten like that before. That's got to be rough to deal with.

First off, he is, I think, the fastest speed rusher I've ever seen. He also gets away with more no call off sides that I've ever seen, not so much in last night's game, but in previous games, like week 13 against the Titans. He is the best there is at anticipating the snap count, and I don't understand why teams don't learn to burn him by changing things up. If a team can get him to jump a few times, he slows down.... I've seen that happen.

He can't BE blocked if he is allowed to get that sort of anticipation on the snap count, double teamed or not, because he is past the tackle before the tackle gets out of his stance. The only way to stop Freeney is to pull him off..... and hope it gets called.

First off, he is, I think, the fastest speed rusher I've ever seen. He also gets away with more no call off sides that I've ever seen, not so much in last night's game, but in previous games, like week 13 against the Titans. He is the best there is at anticipating the snap count, and I don't understand why teams don't learn to burn him by changing things up. If a team can get him to jump a few times, he slows down.... I've seen that happen.

He can't BE blocked if he is allowed to get that sort of anticipation on the snap count, double teamed or not, because he is past the tackle before the tackle gets out of his stance. The only way to stop Freeney  is to pull him off..... and hope it gets called.

622130[/snapback]

Weren't they saying the same thing about Simeon Rice 2 years ago? The best I've ever seen at anticipating the snap count and quickest off the line was Derrick Thomas of the Chiefs especially at Arrowhead.

There were a lot of factors assisting Freeney also; Boller was taking too deep a drop and moving right into Freeney. Step up a little bit and let him run by.

Also maybe the playcalling; why didn't the O-coordinator run the ball at Freeney to slow him down and let Ogden's weight advantage get in the mix. Dwight doesn't appear to be the best at stopping the run as we saw when Jamal Lewis ran right through a point blank tackle attempt from Freeney.............