[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Jones

giantsfan

at Balt- 30 carries 81 yards 2.7 YPC avg

Chic- 33 carries 150 yards 2 TD's 4.5 YPC avg

at Sea- 30 carries 198 yards 3 TD's 6.6 YPC avg

NO- 23 carries 88 yards 1 TD 3.8 YPC avg

at Philly- 25 carries 80 yards 3.2 YPC avg

Okay not bad numbers at all, but other than the Seattle game never been better than 4.5 YPC, and under 4 in 3 of 5 games. Plus he ran all over a Chic D who allowed Edge 200 yards the week before, and all over a Sea D that allowed McGahee 100 and 4 TD's the week before. So my point is not to bash JJ, but is just to say hey calm down. This gy is getting talked about like a stud and a top 5 RB right this second, and I say soory no way I see that right now. Agree disagree?

I want to see the Cowboys with a passing game and defense before we cut his throat.

622169[/snapback]

Oh no you are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability to be a stud I'm just simply saying that right now on the field, maybe because he has no D and passing game, he is not a stud top 5 RB. I agree with your statement 100%. Which is why I'm not juding him and his ability. I'm simply saying that as is this second on the field he is just NOT as good as people want you to believe he is.

I agree and disagree. I believe he IS that good. However, because of his poor supporting cast, you can't count on him to do the kind of damage he should be able to do, week in and week out. 25 carries for 80 yards against the Philly D is pretty good for a rookie on a lousy team.

Oh no you are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability to be a stud I'm just simply saying that right now on the field, maybe because he has no D and passing game, he is not a stud top 5 RB. I agree with your statement 100%. Which is why I'm not juding him and his ability. I'm simply saying that as is this second on the field he is just NOT as good as people want you to believe he is.

622202[/snapback]

You can put LT in the Cowboys backfield and he wont look any better.

Portis moved to one of the best situations for a RB in the league to one of the worst, and look how his numbers tumbled. The system and players around you mean everything. But Dallas has a huge piece of offense to build around for the future. Now they need to pony up and get themselves a real QB, and not try and get one the cheap route.

at Balt- 30 carries 81 yards 2.7 YPC avg

Chic-  33 carries 150 yards 2 TD's 4.5 YPC avg

at Sea- 30 carries 198 yards 3 TD's 6.6 YPC avg

NO- 23 carries 88 yards 1 TD 3.8 YPC avg

at Philly- 25 carries 80 yards 3.2 YPC avg

622161[/snapback]

I'm not annointing him a FF god or anything but when you look at him based on his body of work, those numbers you provided work out to a pretty darn good rookie RB.

4.2 ypc

119 yds/game

1 td/game

Again, he's not gonna be my #1 pick but with numbers like that you can bet your ass I'll be holding on to him in my keeper league.

On a team with crap for an offensive line, I'd say 80 and 81 yards against Balt and Philly is pretty impressive.

I agree w/ Grits too. Parcells totally abandoned the running game for a time vs Philly w/ a 1 point lead. I don't get it.

No passing game, no defense means often the Cowboys get behind and have to abandon the running game.

Then I have wondered about Parcell's play calling as well ... seems like he wants Testaverde to shine.

622243[/snapback]

I don't know if I agree with that. I mean I guess you can say he didn't get carries late, but he has had no less than 23 carries in any game. that's a lot of carries guys. That's 368 carries over 16 games, and in 3 of the games JJ got 30 carries or more.

As for this thread as a whole here is my point which I think is being missed. He has done well, he doesn't have an "ideal" supporting cast that's for sure, and he has a bright future, BUT right this exact second for whatever reason, supporting cast no D whatever, he is NOT the stud people try and make him out to be. I have seen people say other than LT and Alexander he's a must start over every other RB fantasy wise and that is NOT true period. That's my point. Right this second as is he is NOT a top 5 RB.

Who cares? Are we really discussing whether Julius Jones is "maybe a little overrated right now"? Fantasy players are excited about him because he was almost on IR and then came back to put up some nice numbers. Any time you can find a productive RB late in the season on the waiver wire, the RB's owners will be doing backflips. So what?

:D

I don't know if I agree with that. I mean I guess you can say he didn't get carries late, but he has had no less than 23 carries in any game. that's a lot of carries guys. That's 368 carries over 16 games, and in 3 of the games JJ got 30 carries or more.

As for this thread as a whole here is my point which I think is being missed. He has done well, he doesn't have an "ideal" supporting cast that's for sure, and he has a bright future, BUT right this exact second for whatever reason, supporting cast no D whatever, he is NOT the stud people try and make him out to be. I have seen people say other than LT and Alexander he's a must start over every other RB fantasy wise and that is NOT true period. That's my point. Right this second as is he is NOT a top 5 RB.

622372[/snapback]

Parcell's doesn't want to run him 30+ times a game on a regular basis because he doesn't want to wear him down. I believe that is a fine strategy when you start out the season and have to be concerned about getting him through 16 games and any potential playoff games. BUT JJ missed a significant portion of the season due to his shoulder injury and IMO that means he can be used a little more heavily in the later part of the season. JJones missed 8 games due to being inactive or injured and only got 5 carries in another game. That means coming into week 11 when was back he should have been fresh and able to carry a heavy load. And he carried the ball 30, 33 and 30 times before Parcells reined him in against New Orleans of all games (23 carries) and against the Eagles (25 carries).

Parcell's doesn't want to run him 30+ times a game on a regular basis because he doesn't want to wear him down.  I believe that is a fine strategy when you start out the season and have to be concerned about getting him through 16 games and any potential playoff games.  BUT JJ missed a significant portion of the season due to his shoulder injury and IMO that means he can be used a little more heavily in the later part of the season.  JJones missed 8 games due to being inactive or injured and only got 5 carries in another game.  That means coming into week 11 when was back he should have been fresh and able to carry a heavy load.  And he carried the ball 30, 33 and 30 times before Parcells reined him in against New Orleans of all games (23 carries) and against the Eagles (25 carries).

622415[/snapback]

See I guess that's where our "disagreement" lies Grits. To me giving a guy 23 and 25 carries in back to back games is in NO way "reinging him in". Again even at 23 carries a game that's 368 carries over 16 games. How many RB's do you think get 368 carries plus 2 or 3 catches a game like JJ has done. That's where we disagree. Getting even 23 carries is not a reining in of a player. That's A LOT of carries.

See I guess that's where our "disagreement" lies Grits. To me giving a guy 23 and 25 carries in back to back games is in NO way "reinging him in". Again even at 23 carries a game that's 368 carries over 16 games. How many RB's do you think get 368 carries plus 2 or 3 catches a game like JJ has done. That's where we disagree. Getting even 23 carries is not a reining in of a player. That's A LOT of carries.

622428[/snapback]

You missed my point entirely. I agree if we are talking about a full 16 game season. But JJ is looking at a 7 game season and that's a whole different ball of wax.

You missed my point entirely.  I agree if we are talking about a full 16 game season.  But JJ is looking at a 7 game season and that's a whole different ball of wax.

622442[/snapback]

I understand so what you are saying is give him 30 to 35 carries a game because he missed games and should be fresh. What I'm saying is how can anyone say 23 carries, and by the way that's the lowest amount he's had and I'm taking that number, is not enough. 23 carries is A LOT of carries. How many RB's do you think had 23 carries even yesterday? To me NO ONE can complain or comment on JJ not being used enough by Parcells. That's crazy IMO. He had 23 carries and 2 catches. That's 25 combined touches which is A LOT. So I just disagree with the premise. He is used A TON by Parcells.

Now if you want to say they should be spread out more ie more carries in the 4th then I'd have to check and see how many carries he got late, but that I may agree with. But a man who got 25 touches for a game can not be looked at as being under used IMO.

Edited by giantsfan

Top 5, no. First round, depends on what the Cowboys do in the off season.

The Ravens game was a good start. Then the two monstor games games against the Bears and the Seahawks were impressive.

But after that, I got the impression that the running game was abandon by half-time in the Saints game, and again in the Eagles game by the 3rd quarter.

Someone else said that it looked like Parcells was trying to make Vinnie look like the star (maybe to keep him around next year). That's why the numbers dropped.

My guess is somewhere between 10-12 in the first.

I know I'm considering making him one of my three keepers next year.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Some of the debate lies in WHEN he gets those carries. Take the Philly game for instance. For the most part Philly did a good job shutting JJ down early. But once he started gaining positive yards, and it seemed like he was wearing down the defense, Parcells goes to the passing game. I could see that if Dallas was down a few scores, but they had the LEAD. Ride that horse!