[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Droughns Starting

Balzac

Shanahan sucks. He went out and named Droughns starter for Saturday's game, thereby killing my chances this weekend. Anyone else think the lack of consistency in the run game is contributing to the rest of Denver's offensive troubles? Pick a guy and go with him (preferably Bell) - stabilize the offense so Plummer can get his head out of his arse and win me some playoff games.

Where did that come from? Last I heard, Bell was supposed to start this week. Maybe he is still hurting? This is from the Denver Post:

Bell plays in pain

By The Denver Post

A 15-yard penalty on Broncos safety John Lynch kept a Kansas City drive alive in the second quarter.

Kansas City, Mo. - All week, Tatum Bell was told if he could handle the pain of playing with a third-degree separated left shoulder he would be able to play Sunday.

While he backed up Reuben Droughns to start the game, Bell became the primary back despite Denver being forced to pass in an attempt to come from behind.

"It hurt, but I just tried to deal with it," Bell said.

Bell carried the ball nine times for 50 yards. Droughns had four carries for 27 yards.

Bell said he expects to play Saturday night at Tennessee. If he is healthy, he will be the starter.

"If that's the case, I understand it," said Droughns, who starred in the middle of the season as an injury replacement. "It's not like I'm not used to seeing someone else get most of the carries. I'll still get my carries if that's the case. Tatum ran well and impressed me by playing in pain."

Bell, a second-round pick from Oklahoma State, was cruising to the end zone on a 58-yard screen pass in the fourth quarter when Kansas City safety Greg Wesley caught up to him and knocked the ball out of Bell's hands and into the end zone for a touchback.

Last week, Bell fell inside the 10 on his way to what looked like a Denver score. Coach Mike Shanahan said Bell needs to work on finishing plays.

"We're going to have to do something (about his lapses)," Shana- han said. "He gets the ball inside the 5-yard line and somebody shoots him from the stands, so we're going to have to work on that. But you can see the big-play capability."

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...2608294,00.html

Edited by Skrappy1

Yeah I got Dillon, Rudi, or Bell this week...  My gut says Rudi and Bell, but I just don't know. Probablly switch back and forth 3 times before gametime Friday.

625612[/snapback]

I've already switched twice in the last hour . . .

Contrary to a Monday report that Bell (shoulder) would start Saturday's game against the Titans if healthy, coach Mike Shanahan said Tuesday that Reuben Droughns would start, DenverBroncos.com reports.

"You can see that we've got two guys that can handle the ball," Shanahan said. "Both guys are going to play. Reuben will start. I feel very good about our situation." We're glad that Shanahan feels comfortable, but running backs sharing touches in Week 16 is the worst nightmare for fantasy owner. The upside play is Bell, but you may want to avoid this situation if you have other options available.

It was on Rotowire this morning.  Just makes it a lot harder for me to justify starting Bell over Julius this weekend . . .

625527[/snapback]

My opinion is Bell will still get nearly all the carriea and will still produce very well. But with that said how can anyone sit even a somewhat decent option considering Droughns is starting, and Bell does have a hurt shoulder. Like I said at games end it wouldn't shock me at all to see Bell with 100 and 2 TD's, but he's just too risky to start if you have other decent options I believe. Plus what if Droughns gets off to a good start? He might not come out, and against Tenn a good start is possible.

My opinion is Bell will still get nearly all the carriea and will still produce very well. But with that said how can anyone sit even a somewhat decent option considering Droughns is starting, and Bell does have a hurt shoulder. Like I said at games end it wouldn't shock me at all to see Bell with 100 and 2 TD's, but he's just too risky to start if you have other decent options I believe. Plus what if Droughns gets off to a good start? He might not come out, and against Tenn a good start is possible.

625669[/snapback]

All good points, but the pain in my @$$ is that Julius is facing a run D that lets up 3 ypc and 80 ypg - not exactly enticing. Even splitting carries, I think Bell will net at least 80 yards and a TD . . . I hate this crap.

All good points, but the pain in my @$$ is that Julius is facing a run D that lets up 3 ypc and 80 ypg - not exactly enticing.  Even splitting carries, I think Bell will net at least 80 yards and a TD . . . I hate this crap.

625694[/snapback]

I actually agree with you 100%. Lets put it this way if my life depended on getting the question who will have better #'s this weekend Bell or JJ right I'd say Bell will have better #'s this weekend. BUT with him not even starting can you take that risk? That's the question you need to answer. It made my Portis or Bell question a lot easier I'll say that. Even though I can still see Bell out doing Portis I can NOT take that risk since he isn't even starting.

Might as well just roll dice to pick a starter. I actually have both Droughns and Bell, so it's even worse. Other options alongside Edge are Julius Jones and Blaylock (obviously he's not an option).

I was starting Bell but gotta be leaning towards Julius after hearing this news. At least he starts and will get 90% of the carries, though after Parcells abandoned the run game last week for no apparent reason, JJ is a risk in more ways than one. :D

Just when you think it's all going well, it comes along and :D

Might as well just roll dice to pick a starter.  I actually have both Droughns and Bell, so it's even worse.  Other options alongside Edge are Julius Jones and Blaylock (obviously he's not an option).

I was starting Bell but gotta be leaning towards Julius after hearing this news.  At least he starts and will get 90% of the carries, though after Parcells abandoned the run game last week for no apparent reason, JJ is a risk in more ways than one.    :D

Just when you think it's all going well, it comes along and  :D

625983[/snapback]

I have the same dilemma - had penciled in Bell, but have to go with Julius now. I don't see DAL abandoning the run at all, as WAS isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse.

I have the same dilemma - had penciled in Bell, but have to go with Julius now.  I don't see DAL abandoning the run at all, as WAS isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse.

626930[/snapback]

I'm in the same boat too; the only think that has me on the fence is that Julius is more or less the entirety of Dallas's offense, so Washington can just stack up against the run to make Testeverde (or whover the flavor of the week at QB is) beat them. But if Bell doesn't play, that's be worse than minimum production from Julius.

Why can't anything in Denver be simple?

I have LT starting, and once C. Brown was out, I thought I could ride Onterrio until the end. That is not working out. Then Duckett got hurt.

I dropped Ducket and picked up Shaud Williams this week.

So my choices for RB2 are Williams or Bell.

Denver has to win this game, and I think Shanny is intending on riding Bell. This might be wishful thinking, but he might want Tenn to prep for Droughns.

I made it to my Superbowl last year, and Shanny screwed me, so I should have learned my lesson.

I started Portis, who didn't end up playing against Indy. I played Portis over Onterrio, who went out and had 180 total yards and 3 TDs.

There was nothing worse than watching a young stud like Onterrio racking up points on a national televised Saturday game while on my bench. This is deja vu.

I am not letting it happen to me this year on a Saturday night game.......Go Bell!!!!

Edited by Patsfan04

I have LT starting, and once C. Brown was out, I thought I could ride Onterrio until the end.  That is not working out.  Then Duckett got hurt.

I dropped Ducket and picked up Shaud Williams this week.

So my choices for RB2 are Williams or Bell.

Denver has to win this game, and I think Shanny is intending on riding Bell.  This might be wishful thinking, but he might want Tenn to prep for Droughns.

I made it to my Superbowl last year, and Shanny screwed me, so I should have learned my lesson.

I started Portis, who didn't end up playing against Indy.  I played Portis over Onterrio, who went out and had 180 total yards and 3 TDs.

There was nothing worse than watching a young stud like Onterrio racking up points on a national televised Saturday game while on my bench.  This is deja vu.

I am not letting it happen to me this year on a Saturday night game.......Go Bell!!!!

627726[/snapback]

You are very brave, trying to figure the inner workings of Shanny's tortured mind. :D

I have fred taylor, bell, and Shaud Williams to choose between. Normally, Fred would be the man but he appears to be a game time decision. And I have to announce my entire lineup 1 hour before todays game! I dont think I can chance Fred not playing. That leaves me with Bell or Williams. I am beyond screwed...