[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's Talk About Mushin Muhammed

Hugh 0ne

OK, here's a guy who had 3 good years as the primary target in Carolina from 1998-2000. The last 3 years have been rough, with Steve Smith now being the primary WR. So, Smith goes down, season ending, and the 9 year NFL veteran WR, with rookie Keary Colbert the only other WR option, blows away his career highs by getting 93 Rec's, 1405 yards, and a league leading 16 TD's.

So, what happens next year when Smith comes back?

Thoughts? Opinions?

He's not a free agent. Yet. He is owed a $10 million dollar bonus from the Panthers before next year. It looks like the Panthers will probably have to cut him.

I traded Muhammad Week 10. The guy I traded him to, rode him to the Fantasy Bowl win. Oops. Well, at least I got a first round pick out of him.

He's not a free agent.  Yet.  He is owed a $10 million dollar bonus from the Panthers before next year.  It looks like the Panthers will probably have to cut him.

640532[/snapback]

So, the question now is where does he end up? I'm sure that the Bears will be looking for a WR, but I'm not sure that any receiver would want to play there. Plus, they're also rumored to be going after Walter Jones in the offseason. San Diego, perhaps? They have a ton of cap room and Keenan McCardell isn't getting any younger.

So, the question now is where does he end up?  I'm sure that the Bears will be looking for a WR, but I'm not sure that any receiver would want to play there.  Plus, they're also rumored to be going after Walter Jones in the offseason.  San Diego, perhaps?  They have a ton of cap room and Keenan McCardell isn't getting any younger.

640538[/snapback]

Yeah, San Diego is a definite possibility. They would love to have an impact wide-out, and I'm not sure McCardell fits that bill.

Traded him away also, the other guy rode him to the fantasy bowl and won!

I have been asked if I want him back.

I have the same question, not just a fantasy question, but really, where does he end up....and more importantly, does he put up similar numbers somewhere else...history tells us that WRs in a new system usually do not perform very well.....usually....

:D

MM will have a ton of opportunities out there if and when he's cut loose.

Chiefs: Kennison and Morton are nice, but not quite the consistent performers, and MM would be a great fit there.

Raiders: If and when Porter goes away, he's an instant fit there.

Jags: Smith gets a bit older and the rest of the receivers were on the field, but not making the big impact plays consistently enough.

Bears: As Swerski said, what WR would want to play there?

You can add the Browns, Saints, and Dolphins to the mix, but the team that should really press hard for him is the GIANTS IMO.

Muhammad has really stepped it up. When I watched him, he used to drop 3/4th's of the passes coming his way. And he had a nasty problem of fumbling at the goal line for some reason.

But now he's making almost every hard catch thrown his way.

If he stayed in Carolina, it would be interesting to see how teams would cover both receivers, with the Panthers' running threats coming back next year.

The funny thing is that there was some question last summer if the Panthers would even keep him this year since he was in the final year of his backloaded contract and no one really thought he was going to be worth what he was. He's going to turn 32 this year which is not ancient but not also not exactly someone to give a 8 year contract to.

I remember drafting him as a rookie in '96 when he only had one touchdown - I guess I was just way ahead of my time :D

He certainly has nailed down the timing aspect of when your contract expires. There's not doubt that he's going to cash in but he could still remain with CAR. If he does, then we get to wonder what to do with Steve Smith next summer and how he would cut into Mushie's numbers.

There are freak high seasons, but this one is going to be legendary.

I'd say there is some re-structering(sp) done to the contract, and Carolina has the best WR corp in the NFL next year? Mush,Smith and Colbert.

641070[/snapback]

That'd be up there, that's for sure, right with Harrison, Wayne and Stokely. Problem is Manning is "slightly" better than Delhomme. :D

I'd say there is some re-structering(sp) done to the contract, and Carolina has the best WR corp in the NFL next year? Mush,Smith and Colbert.

641070[/snapback]

I'd still rather have Ward, Burress, and Randle-El

:D

641203[/snapback]

SHow me one post where you aren't hanging on the Steelers jock straps and I'll consider taking anything you seriously. Until then, when you respond with more blinding Steeler homerism, you'll get one of these :D from me.

I respect fans from all teams when they know football and enjoy football related discussion, and I can certainly respect the passion they have for their team. Unfortunately you're nothing more than a slightly more original version of Uglytuna.

Congrats Menudo, you've graduated to Uglytuna status.

SHow me one post where you aren't hanging on the Steelers jock straps and I'll consider taking anything you seriously. Until then, when you respond with more blinding Steeler homerism, you'll get one of these :D from me.

I respect fans from all teams when they know football and enjoy football related discussion, and I can certainly respect the passion they have for their team. Unfortunately you're nothing more than a slightly more original version of Uglytuna.

Congrats Menudo, you've graduated to Uglytuna status.

641590[/snapback]

Whatever. I really don't know what your issue is with me. I make many non-Steeler posts on this board. I post on the Tailgate sometime, I post non-Steeler posts on this board as well. Of course a majority of my posts at this time of year are about the Steelers, and, of course, many might be showing my support for my favorite team. They are 15-1 and I think I have a right to gloat a bit. On this post, all I said is that I would rather have Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, and Antwaan Randle-El than Mushin Muhammad, Steve Smith, and Keary Colbert. If you disagree, fine, but I would guess that others may feel the same way, and if not, that is fine, they are entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine. Sorry if my support of my team bothers you Hugh One. I have stated time and time again that the Steelers are in for a battle, and I am no where near 100% confident that they will get past the 1st round let alone win the Super Bowl, but, as the true fan I am, I will be rooting for it and if they win, I will be gloating, I think that is every fan's right. Good day.