[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home field advantage

Grits and Shins

ESPN radio is discussing the fact that the Patriots have chosen NOT to cover their field all week this week. There has apparently been nasty weather all week and the idea is to let the field absorb all the bad weather so that there will be sloppy field conditions for the game. Obviously they believe that since Indy is a dome team the sloppy field conditions will impact them more negatively than it will impact the Patriots.

Greenie is adamant that this is "unfair" and that the team should be required to cover the field during the week.

Everybody else, myself included, believes that New England earned home field advantage and is doing nothing wrong in leaving the field uncovered. I'm not sure that I would agree that they have the right to spray the field down every day ... but they are simply letting mother nature have it's way with the field. And BOTH teams will be playing on the same field.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the game. Wouldn't it be ironic if New England loses the game because Vinatieri slips and misses on the winning 20 yard FG.

I haven't read anything about this, but in a way it doesn't surprise me. Then again, don't they have one of those heated fields anyhow?

And yes, the weather has been sorta nasty this week. Not nearly as bad as most Januaries, but snowy, icy, etc. It's supposed to get really warm here today though. :D

I haven't read anything about this, but in a way it doesn't surprise me. Then again, don't they have one of those heated fields anyhow?

And yes, the weather has been sorta nasty this week. Not nearly as bad as most Januaries, but snowy, icy, etc. It's supposed to get really warm here today though.  :D

652371[/snapback]

Yeah they mentioned that game time conditions are supposed to be pretty good ... however the field will be sloppy because of being uncovered all week.

Interesting that the Patriots feel they need a crappy field to stop the Colts rather than relying on a solid game plan.

The problem is this also affects THEIR ability to execute the Patriots offense, and I could definitely see the scenario you are saying about Vinatieri. And if the field is that sloppy and it comes down to the kicking game, this could backfire for them.

Czarina - EEI Boston was discussing the uncovered field this morning.

weather.com is showing a rain/snow mix for Friday, and we are expecting to get colder weather starting Saturday. The hi for Sunday in Foxboro is expected to be around 33 and since kickoff is after sunset, I expect it to be at least cold enough to start freezing during the game.

Certainly not as cold as other January games have been in Foxboro.

One thing that popped into my mind is how this could actually hurt the Pats. Where is the one area that they are hurting the most? The defensive backfield. It is always said that it is harder on a DB than a WR, because the WR knows where the route is going, as the DB does not. Given the hand that NE has been forced to play (no Law, w/ Brown and Poteat as fill-ins) and the many receiveing weapons that Indy has, does anyone else agree that this could actually hurt NE more than help them??

Everybody else, myself included, believes that New England earned home field advantage and is doing nothing wrong in leaving the field uncovered.  I'm not sure that I would agree that they have the right to spray the field down every day ... but they are simply letting mother nature have it's way with the field.  And BOTH teams will be playing on the same field.

652370[/snapback]

Agreed. Although I think it would be hilarious if Brady slipped on the wet turf and broke his ankle Ty Law-style. :D

34-31 & 34-31 = 3rd Straight NFC North Title (Hey, it's all I've got).

Hugh - this has the makings of a big sig line bet next year - say better record, Pack and Vikes?

653006[/snapback]

You're not going to want to make that bet once Favre announces his retirement. :D

But I like the concept. :D

Of course, when the Vikes trade Randy Moss I might not want to make that bet. B)

In Davis Cup tennis, the hosting nation gets to decide what kind of surface the series is to be played on, which I've always foud to be a really cool concept. ie if the french are facing the US in one round, they might opt to play on clay, but if they make it to the next round against, say Spain, they would go with a hard surface. THAT's home field advantage!

It is your homefield advantage, and short of bringing out the snow blower, everything that you prepare for the game should be done in the interest of the team. I hear Greenie whining about this, and honestly didn't understand his gripe. Should Gilette stadium give over half of it's seats to Colts fans? Maybe do half of the field in Patrior colours, and the other half in Colts colours?

Agreed.  Although I think it would be hilarious if Brady slipped on the wet turf and broke his ankle Ty Law-style.  :D

652995[/snapback]

Over the line...Over the line...

wishing such things could visit them back on yout team threefold :D Be careful not to anger the Football Gods

You're not going to want to make that bet once Favre announces his retirement. :D

But I like the concept. :D

Of course, when the Vikes trade Randy Moss I might not want to make that bet. B)

653045[/snapback]

True, very true. We'll talk during training camp.

I believe that New England has a right to do that as well.  However, NFL rules mandate that the field be covered 24 hours prior to kick-off.

652900[/snapback]

I'm sure they'll throw down the cover on Saturday morning. :D

They put in one of those heated field do-hickeys when they resodded last year. It's not uncommon for teams to have to resod for the playoffs. I believe the NFL pays for it, as well.

As for the possibility of doing it, it's too late now. They'd have had to do it a few days ago at least, wouldn't they? Last year when they did, it was a good week ahead of time. There'd be no point in resodding just a couple days before the game. Talk about unstable surfaces.

Over the line...Over the line...

653075[/snapback]

Come on. That would be the ultimate in poetic justice. That said, I would wish Brady a speedy and complete recovery. :D

wishing such things could visit them back on yout team threefold B)  Be careful not to anger the Football Gods

Nah, they're too busy being pissed at our "Idiot Kicker." :D

This is not the first time something like this has happened and it certainly will not be the last.

Let's take a trip down memory lane . . .

January 23rd, 1983

A.J. Duhe sets an AFC playoff record with three interceptions, including one for a 35-yard touchdown romp, as the Dolphins defeat the New York Jets for the third time in one season to win the AFC crown, 14-0.

That was the year Ricard Todd and the Sack Exchange came to the Orange Bowl to play the Dolphins for the AFC title. It rained all week in Miami and they did not cover the field. To this day my friends (all Jets fans) still complain about that game. They say the Dolphins did not cover the field to get an advantage. If any of you remember that game the field was an absolute mess. Very sloppy. A.J. Duhe had the game of his life. They abused Todd all day long. THAT was my Super Bowl, especially as a Dolphin fan living in New York

2 weeks later the Redskins led by John f'n Riggins ran all over the Dolphins.