[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home field advantage

Grits and Shins

It's not about NEEDING something like that to win, it's about taking full advantage of what you have at hand to win. Wouldn't you be stupid not to? It's like the way baseball parks tailor the pitcher's mound to suit their own pitchers.

652380[/snapback]

I agree that having the homefield advantage gives the Patriots the right to prepare their Homefield however they see fit but aren't Patriot Fans even just a little concerned about the injury implications?

Let's say the sloppy field does everything to the Colts that Pats fans hope it will. What happens if Dillon slips in the mud making a cut and gets hurt. Or any other skill player for that matter.

Granted a sloppy field can be a huge hindrance to a dome team but the Pats players can slip in mud just as easily.

There should be at least a little concern there.

One thing that popped into my mind is how this could actually hurt the Pats.  Where is the one area that they are hurting the most?  The defensive backfield.  It is always said that it is harder on a DB than a WR, because the WR knows where the route is going, as the DB does not.  Given the hand that NE has been forced to play (no Law, w/ Brown and Poteat as fill-ins) and the many receiveing weapons that Indy has, does anyone else agree that this could actually hurt NE more than help them??

652960[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. The only reason I can come up with that they might want to do this is they might think that Dillion is a better down hill runner than James, and that James will be loosing his footing on his cuts on the stretch play.

I, for one, think they should run James up the middle more often anyway so maybe this will move them in that direction.

653122[/snapback]

Agreed, why does every team fall for the play action when the only time Edge actually carries the ball is on the stretch play? They play action up the middle and everyone bites and then Manning goes deep. Until the Colts actually give the ball to Edge, quit falling for it.

Agreed, why does every team fall for the play action when the only time Edge actually carries the ball is on the stretch play?  They play action up the middle and everyone bites and then Manning goes deep.  Until the Colts actually give the ball to Edge, quit falling for it.

653127[/snapback]

Yeah. And in the games I've been to, when they do give him the ball up the middle he is effective.

Except inside the 10.

I think this is being blown way out of proportion.

At what point should the field be covered? 2 weeks ago, 5 days ago?

The field at Gillette stadium has a heating system built into the field. If you have a heating system to melt snow, you would have to have a good drainage system, wouldn't you?

ESPN radio was comparing it to baseball. Don't these idiots know that baseball only covers the infield and not the outfield? Why? Baseball can't afford enough tarp to cover the field? No, Because the dirt will turn to mud. Last time I checked, Gillette doesn't have an infield.

If you cover grass with a tarp for a week, and you remove the tarp, the grass would be yellow and just about dead. Anyone ever leave a pile of leaves in the yard for a week and it rains? I have, then picked up the leaves, and looked at this gross yellow dead spot and wonder if it will ever come back to life.

This is all a product of the tabloid Herald looking for something to write about because Belichick doesn't give them much during the week. They have blown the Vanderjagt and field condition stories way out of proportion this week.

Edited by Patsfan04

Last year, it was that our DB's were clutching and grabbing; now, it's the purposely sh*tty field conditions. The media is just getting their latest excuse ready as to why the mighty Colts machine stalled out :D If Indy loses, and this idiotic issue becomes, well, an issue, I can see Tagliabue changing the rules again next year to make all games played indoors, at least until the Colts win an AFC Championship.

:DB)

Have to agree with Patsfan and msaint. This is being lown way to far out of proportion. They showed the field on the local tv news last night, uncovered, and it looks fine. At work I'm usually about 20 minutes north of Gillette. Yeterday was fog only. It's snowing now but I'm in the northern most town of NH for the weekend. Let's all just worry about the condition of the field on gameday. :D

I'm not worried about the field. The Colts aren't worried about the field. The only people yacking about it are the media and a few idiot radio talk show guys who are running out of things to talk about. It is not a big deal at all.

I think this is being blown way out of proportion.

This is all a product of the tabloid Herald looking for something to write about because Belichick doesn't give them much during the week.  They have blown the Vanderjagt and field condition stories way out of proportion this week.

654213[/snapback]

Agree,

And the reason the field wasn't covered earlier, as reported on the radio this AM, was that it was being painted and prepped for the game. It was covered last night. During Belicheck's press conference he laughed all the questions off saying that they both had to play on the field and that it would be ready for gametime.

I'm not worried about the field.  The Colts aren't worried about the field.  The only people yacking about it are the media and a few idiot radio talk show guys who are running out of things to talk about.  It is not a big deal at all.

654364[/snapback]

Bingo.

Only about 48 hours 'til our sigline bet starts to unfold, Hook. :D I'm getting some good stuff ready when . . .I mean, in case the Pats hold off the rampaging Peyton & Co. Don't want to jinx my boys!

Everybody else, myself included, believes that New England earned home field advantage and is doing nothing wrong in leaving the field uncovered.  I'm not sure that I would agree that they have the right to spray the field down every day ... but they are simply letting mother nature have it's way with the field.  And BOTH teams will be playing on the same field.

652370[/snapback]

:D I feel the same way. New England earned it and they have a right to keep their field anyway they would like it.

ESPN radio is discussing the fact that the Patriots have chosen NOT to cover their field all week this week.  There has apparently been nasty weather all week and the idea is to let the field absorb all the bad weather so that there will be sloppy field conditions for the game.  Obviously they believe that since Indy is a dome team the sloppy field conditions will impact them more negatively than it will impact the Patriots.

652370[/snapback]

Smart move on the part of the Pats...now THAT'S home field advantage. If the Colts didn't wanna travel to NE, they should've won a couple more games.

It would be ironic if it comes down to a missed FG, but I don't think it will.

GO PATS!!! :D

Ben

The Boston Herald reports the Patriots had the field at Gillette Stadium covered during much of yesterday's driving rain storm. The tarp was removed later in the day so the grounds crew could work on the field and get it ready for tomorrow.

Once again, talk about much ado about nothing. :D