[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for rabid homers

Homey123

The metro area includes most of Western PA.  :D

670868[/snapback]

It's your city, how can I be expected to know how big the metro area is? However, hardcore Steeler fan Menudo hails from Central PA and identifies with the Steelers. So, maybe you should consider using the metro population. It looked like the Bus doesn't live in Pittsburgh city; he lives in Gibsonia. So, I'm not sure how often Joe Pittsburgh will see Bettis at the grocery store.

Even with those considerations, the 2000 population of the city of Pittsburgh was 334K. HUGH state university like Ohio State 100,000 students. Hmmmm. Last time I checked, 334K was bigger than 100K. :D

Ditto for me. 

I have been through a bunch over the past 27 months.  A brain injury playing softball, two surgeries, months of speech therapy, 3 1/2 months of short-term leave and through the whole thing, I knew that God was looking over me.  I had the support of my family and many friends (including several friends here in the Huddle) and much support from colleagues at work that brought food, money, gift certificates, etc. until I returned to work.  The Bank was terrific and I was paid for the entire time that I was out.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Panthers and feel the "pain" when they lose or don't play well, but I get over it pretty quickly given it is a small part of the BIG PICTURE.

It is very possible to be a BIG Homer, but have your total priorities in the correct order.  :D

670773[/snapback]

PSU...I am glad that you are doing better. None of us are exempt from the unexpected. My Grandmother who is no longer told me before I went to basic training "Work Hard, Pray Hard, and Trust God" I wrote it down on the back of her picture and kept it in my wallet. I followed her advice and prayed nightly.

1- My relationship with Jesus (not religion...I don't belong to any. I attend Catholic Church but...religion is an institution which sets guidelines for a person of a particular faith to follow to help them not go astray. I don't see that as number 1)

2-My wife and family (no children yet but mother, father, brothers, etc.)

3-Work and Commitments

4-Friends

5-Country

6-Hobbies

It's your city, how can I be expected to know how big the metro area is?  However, hardcore Steeler fan Menudo hails from Central PA and identifies with the Steelers.  So, maybe you should consider using the metro population.  It looked like the Bus doesn't live in Pittsburgh city; he lives in Gibsonia.  So, I'm not sure how often Joe Pittsburgh will see Bettis at the grocery store.

Even with those considerations, the 2000 population of the city of Pittsburgh was 334K.  HUGH state university like Ohio State 100,000 students.  Hmmmm.  Last time I checked, 334K was bigger than 100K.  :D

670881[/snapback]

I wasn't laughing at you, momo, I was laughing at how large an area they consdered "metro Pittsburgh." The "city" itself (as in city limits) is very small geographically. Gibsonia is not that far away from the city proper (my grandparents live there).

My point about Pittsburgh being small was not to compare it to colleges, but, rather, to other NFL cities. Compared to Boston, NY, Philly, and Atlanta, Pittsburgh is pretty small. As such, we're a closer-knit community than those others.

Ditto for me. 

I have been through a bunch over the past 27 months.  A brain injury playing softball, two surgeries, months of speech therapy, 3 1/2 months of short-term leave and through the whole thing, I knew that God was looking over me.  I had the support of my family and many friends (including several friends here in the Huddle) and much support from colleagues at work that brought food, money, gift certificates, etc. until I returned to work.  The Bank was terrific and I was paid for the entire time that I was out.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Panthers and feel the "pain" when they lose or don't play well, but I get over it pretty quickly given it is a small part of the BIG PICTURE.

It is very possible to be a BIG Homer, but have your total priorities in the correct order.  :D

670773[/snapback]

It sounds like your priorities are just fine! :D I'm glad you got through this trial in your life!!

I actually am part of the Jets, so I call us we. I'm actually more important to the team than any player or coach - I've seen hundereds of players and coaches come and go over the years, yet I'm still here. What I do on any particular Sunday, and how I prepare myself during the week has a direct bearing on the outcome of the game. If I get overconfident during the week, the team is bound to suffer. It also depends which room I watch the game in, what and how much I drink, what I wear during the game, and my mental frame of mind during the game. These all have a direct impact on the outcome of the game. I've experimented with different combinations and have documented the outcome and its clear that I alone often determine the result of the game. Sometimes I don't even allow myself to watch the game live, because I feel that I'm not in the right frame of mind and I'm afraid it will hurt the team.

One thing I know for sure is that if my in-laws come to my house at any point during a Jets game, the Jets will lose that game. Therefore, they have been banished from my house on Sundays during the season.

Bill is right-on with his comments. My prioities are not ranked by total minutes spent per day. They are ranked by their value in my life.

670880[/snapback]

I think I understand you now.

But the original post asked how people "allocate their time and energy".

If work takes 60 hours a week, it doesn't leave much time for your real priorities. Therefore you must allocate. The question was how do you allocate, not what are your priorities. :D

I see it also said 'rank priorities'. Guess I just looked at the question differently. :D

Edited by skinpig

I actually am part of the Jets, so I call us we.  I'm actually more important to the team than any player or coach - I've seen hundereds of players and coaches come and go over the years, yet I'm still here.  What I do on any particular Sunday, and how I prepare myself during the week has a direct bearing on the outcome of the game.  If I get overconfident during the week, the team is bound to suffer.  It also depends which room I watch the game in, what and how much I drink, what I wear during the game, and my mental frame of mind during the game.  These all have a direct impact on the outcome of the game.  I've experimented with different combinations and have documented the outcome and its clear that I alone often determine the result of the game.  Sometimes I don't even allow myself to watch the game live, because I feel that I'm not in the right frame of mind and I'm afraid it will hurt the team.

One thing I know for sure is that if my in-laws come to my house at any point during a Jets game, the Jets will lose that game.  Therefore, they have been banished from my house on Sundays during the season.

670936[/snapback]

:D

But the original post asked how people "allocate their time and energy".

If work takes 60 hours a week, it doesn't leave much time for your real priorities. Therefore you must allocate. The question was how do you allocate, not what are your priorities. :D

670940[/snapback]

Well, there are 168 hours in a week and I'm spending only about 1/3 of them working. And I typically don't sleep more than 6 or 7 hours per night.

I typically work 12-hour days during the week. Then my wife and I spend about four hours together each night after dinner. I also leave either most or all of my weekends free for family-related activities. So, I'm giving my family at least 68 hours of my time per week.

As for allocating "religious time," that can fall into many categories other than church or prayer. IMO, being religious is more about doing than praying. I let my wife vent about her psycho co-workers almost every night. I play with our attention-starved cats for a good hour or two per day (we also let them sleep on our bed at night). I usually talk to my lonely grandfather on the phone once a week or so. My "doing things that God would want me to" tab almost always exceeds my 60 hours of work per week.

For Me:

1. family

2.friends

3.Football, trumps family and friends on Football sundays

4.work

5. relaxation, Football is relaxation

Edited by NSab

Responding to this in the more appropriate thread:

Squeebiebo, you are hopeless.

I stipulate that you get some kind of intense pleasure from living vicariously through the Steelers.

Being that you are a professional debater, I am merely emphasizing your failure as a debater between this and the "rabid fan" thread.

You start trying to make rational arguments such as a college is a business, fail to rebut my factual arguments, then say...ah well, I just like it because I do.

Let me see if I understand your argument (as it is clear that you started this thread to argue your point of view rather than to listen to what the rabid fans had to say):

It is irrational for people to become emotionally involved in the success or failure of their home towns' professional sports teams. Doing so demonstrates deficiencies in other aspects of their lives and misplaced priorities. One cannot be a rabid homer and have healthy relationships with their family and friends, or concentrate on work appropriately. People who do so do so because they are dissastisfied with their own lives and want to live the lives of professional athletes vicariously.

However, it is rational to be a rabid fan of one's college teams, even long after leaving the school, and feel an emotional connection to those teams' performance. This is because the college community is smaller than a NFL city, a college team can never move to a different college, and the fans and players are eachstudents. That one generally lives in this community for a far shorter time than one lives in one's home town is irrelevant. That one's college is likely less connected with one's family, friends, and employer is irrelevant. That there is no relevant difference between an emotional connection to a college team and to a professional team is irrelevant.

I submit that your argument is logically invalid. I submit that the "facts" you offered are irrelevant. I submit that you should not attempt to make yourseld sound smart by using legal terms such as "stipulate" when you do not know how to use them correctly.

Defensive, defensive, defensive. In starting this thread, I just wanted to know why hardcore fans are like that. Personally, I don't know any but I know that many of y'all are on this board.

When you got all defensive, I thought by arguing with you, I'd gain more insight into the hardcore homer. Actually, I think I have. So, thank you.

I'm just pissed off that the guy in the other thread called me a jerk and you dumb.

Edited by Homey123

Defensive, defensive, defensive.  In starting this thread, I just wanted to know why hardcore fans are like that.  Personally, I don't know any but I know that many of y'all are on this board.

When you got all defensive, I thought by arguing with you, I'd gain more insight into the hardcore homer.  Actually, I think I have.  So, thank you.

I'm just pissed off that the guy in the other thread called me a jerk and you dumb.

671260[/snapback]

Oh, yeah, well here's some insight for you: :D

It's all good. :DB)

First, I don't do any of your examples except use 'we', but that's cuz so many of us are owners of the Packers. :D

1. I'm single, so doesn't count as much. The rule is the TV MUST be on the Packer game for any holidays. My beloved Nephew's baby shower/christening was during the draft last year. I ran from room to room checking on both.

2. All my friends are football fans too. What kind of losers do you think I hang with?

3. I don't go to church and wouldn't during football season. Also, when I get married, it must be AFTER the Super Bowl and before June (hate hot weather).

4. No comment, spend too much time on FF during work :D

5. Football is my favorite hobby!