[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Titans to gut Team

Big Score 1

Sunday, 02/20/05

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

"Barring last-minute changes, wide receiver Derrick Mason, cornerback Samari Rolle and defensive tackle Kevin Carter will be cut. Tackle Fred Miller, fullback Robert Holcombe and kicker Joe Nedney are expected to be cut as well."

"The Titans also have decided not to exercise their options on the contracts of tight end Shad Meier and wide receiver Eddie Berlin, making both players unrestricted free agents."

"Barring any aggressive, last-minute deal-making by the players and their agents, the cuts will be made."

"The Titans continue to work on restructured contracts for quarterback Steve McNair, tackle Brad Hopkins and guard Zach Piller, and are expected to re-work the contracts of linebacker Keith Bulluck, guard Benji Olson and possibly others."

"The moves are part of the team's efforts to get below the NFL's salary cap by the league's March 2 deadline. The Titans entered the offseason $27 million over the cap, easily the highest figure in the league."

"The official announcement could come as early as tomorrow."

Tennessean.com

Edited by Big Score 1

You beat me to posting this story Big Score. Everyone has talked for months about Floyd Reece blowing up the team. The Titans could have prolonged the inevitable for maybe one more year, but after last years debacle, there was no way it could be argued that the window of opportunity was still open. With huge salary cap problems, this seems like the year to do it. I agree with dumping all of these high priced veterans and starting over.

Mason and Rolle both getting the axe would be a shock. I thought they would find the money to keep one of them. Without Mason, they have no legitimate #1 wr(unless of course they take either Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams at 1.7). Without Rolle, they have no shut down corner. Without both, the upcoming draft becomes absolutely critical. I can see them attempting to restructure and keep one of these 2 guys. But being $27M over the cap, they may have no choice but to send both of these players packing.

Fred "Drive Killer" Miller stinks and has to go. Kevin Carter, a leader on the field and in the clubhouse, will have to take a HUGH paycut to stay. His numbers dont equal what he makes. Holcombe is being replaced by Troy Fleming, and is really no big loss. Nedney has had season ending injuries at the beggining of the last 2 years, and was replaced by Anderson. Shad Meir is being replaced by last years 1st pick, Ben Troop. Eddie Berlin will be in the Arena League very soon.

Brad Hopkins is the other player most likely to be a cap casualty. But losing both starting OT's would be tough. They are attempting to re-structure his deal now. This year will be difficult for many titans fans to swallow as alot of well known names will no longer be around. And with so much youth, this team will be staring at another 5 or 6 win season..

Chris Brown--RB will drop dramatically in drafts this season if Mason and one or both OT's are gone....no team will respect Titan's pass game with nobody's at WR and will crowd the line and blitz...dang and I kept Chris Brown too..... :D

Chris Brown--RB will drop dramatically in drafts this season if Mason and one or both OT's are gone....no team will respect Titan's pass game with nobody's at WR and will crowd the line and blitz...dang and I kept Chris Brown too..... :D

705482[/snapback]

. . .there's that, and the fact Brown can't stay healthy either. . .

What happened to Jeff Diamond, considered a cap guru with the Vikings?

705470[/snapback]

Jeff Diamond was slowly fazed out over the past year or two so that Bud Adams could re-place him with his son in law. Adams is a complete unmittigated moron. His son in law has zero football experience and was simply lucky enough to marry Bud's daughter. Additionally, they all live in Houston which is several hours away. How can you run the day to day operations of a team from a different city? Nepotism and stupidity maybe the ruin of this once proud franchise..

sounds like the Titians are headed in the same direction as my Niners.

705503[/snapback]

Not really, they didnt vioplate the cap, so there won't be any penalties levied agianst them, the rebuilding process should go faster.

I wonder if McNair decides to hand up the spikes now. I mean, he was already thinking about it, and with the team losing so many palyers, including half the O line, why get beat up again?

Not really, they didnt vioplate the cap, so there won't be any penalties levied agianst them, the rebuilding process should go faster.

I wonder if McNair decides to hand up the spikes now. I mean, he was already thinking about it, and with the team losing so many palyers, including half the O line, why get beat up again?

705520[/snapback]

McNair will NOT retire yet. He will be back next year. Count on it.

I just listened to Floyd Reece's press conference. He confirmed that the Titans will release the following players tomorrow when the waiver period begins:

Kevin Carter

Fred "Drive Killa" Miller

Samari Rolle

Derrick Mason

Joe Nedney

Robert Holcomb

The Titans will exercise options on Drew Bennett and Tony Beckham. Floyd spoke at least 30 minutes on the condition of the titans cap and how they must bite the bullet now. It is a tough pill to swallow, especially losing Mason and Rolle, but it is for the long term good of the organization..

spain, given this, and Mcnair's verbally expressed thoughts about getting so beat up, and retirement, is he really willing to finish his career on a team that is rebuilding from almost squat? Sure, last year the Titans endured one of the most injury riddled seasons I've ever seen a football team have, but given the cap situation, and the rebuilding mode, wouldn't it even be better for the Tiatans to just go with Volek at this point?

spain, given this, and Mcnair's verbally expressed thoughts about getting so beat up, and retirement, is he really willing to finish his career on a team that is rebuilding from almost squat? Sure, last year the Titans endured one of the most injury riddled seasons I've ever seen a football team have, but given the cap situation, and the rebuilding mode, wouldn't it even be better for the Tiatans to just go with Volek at this point?

706751[/snapback]

Those are 2 seperate issues: 1. Should McNair retire so he doesnt have to finish his career on some poor teams and/or 2. Should the Titans release McNair and go with the younger and promising Billy Volek. The answer to both questions is a resounding NO! McNair wants to play, imo. He still has a few good years left and the Titans best chance to win is with a healthy Steve McNair in the lineup. Volek has looked good in the games he has played. But he is no Steve McNair. Not by a Mississippi Mile! McNair just needs to evaluate whether he wants to take the severe punishment behind a suspect offensive line. I believe he will return and that the Titans desperately need him and want to play, and to stay healthy..

Edited by spain

You said that McNair gives the Titans the best chance to win.... but win what? Six games instead of four? Seven instead of five? Surely, you don't think they have a shot at the playoffs, with this cap puking convulsion, do you? I know you are as hard core a homer there ever was, but I don't see the Titans making a playoff run, we've already had one miracle this century, the Red Sox.

The only, ONLY reason I dont think playoff aspirations for the Titans is COMPLETELY absurd, is Fischer. Still, a very unlikely chance of that sort of success this year. If I were a Titan fan, I'd be looking two years down the road, and that would mean Volek. I think you may underestimate him due to understandable man love for McNair though. Brown has also just gone way down on my FF RB list too..... and I was as big a Brown proponent as there was on these boards, pre and post draft. I think you're in for an Arizona sort of season.

The playoffs are completely out of the question. The Titans are looking squarely at a 5 or 6 win season, imo. That still doesnt mean that McNair should be jettisoned. Having McNair as the starter and Volek as the backup is a solid qb corps. Hopefully, McNair can stay healthy and win some games. McNair can take over games and will teams to a couple wins a year. He adds a dimension to the qb position that very few in the league have. Volek throws a great deep ball but is error prone. He has proven to be a capable backup in the event McNair is injured.

The very fact that Volek IS error prone is why I think the franchise might be better off playing him now. I mean, why start McNair when everyone knows the playoffs are a remote possibilty? I would want to start Volek, let him learn, and have a QB for the future. Unless you think Volek simply will never be a solid NFL QB, that is, and you have seen him much more than I, but from what I have seen, I think he's one of the most promising young QB's in the league.

Look, you know you are in for a bad year or two, why not commit to the future? If Volek isnt the future, then you still need a QB, and whoever that QB will be also needs the playing time. This is the time to develop a new QB, in my opinion.

The very fact that Volek IS error prone is why I think the franchise might be better off playing him now. I mean, why start McNair when everyone knows the playoffs are a remote possibilty? I would want to start Volek, let him learn, and have a QB for the future. Unless you think Volek simply will never be a solid NFL QB, that is, and you have seen him much more than I, but from what I have seen, I think he's one of the most promising young QB's in the league.

Look, you know you are in for a bad year or two, why not commit to the future? If Volek isnt the future, then you still need a QB, and whoever that QB will be also needs the playing time. This is the time to develop a new QB, in my opinion.

706844[/snapback]

I do think that Volek can and will be a starter in this league. And he will take over for McNair in a couple years when he finally does retire. But until then, McNair should and will be the starter. I have heard it argued that the Titans should have dumped McNair during their bloodbath yesterday. I am not of that opinion. McNair has several good years left and he only will make this team competitive. Volek will get plenty of work subbing for Mc.