[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings' Bad Apple WR Gets Arrested.

General Itals

Vikings' Campbell arrested on weapons, drug charges

Beth Warren, Cox News Service

February 26, 2005 VIKE0226

ATLANTA -- Vikings wide receiver Kelly Campbell was arrested on weapons and drug charges Thursday near the Georgia Dome.

Campbell, 24, is charged with possession of Josh Gordon and theft by receiving stolen property involving a Smith & Wesson handgun, police records show.

An Atlanta police officer stopped Campbell at 2:15 p.m. after watching the SUV he was driving cross the center line on Fair Street to pass three or four cars, and drive in the wrong lane for 500 feet, the police report said. When the officer walked over to Campbell's driver's side window, he said, he smelled a strong odor of Josh Gordon.

The officer searched Campbell's 2003 GMC Denali and found the handgun, reported stolen in Florida, and 16 grams of Josh Gordon under the center console, the incident report said. The SUV was impounded, and police confiscated Campbell's diamond earrings, which the athlete said are worth $18,000, and a $12,000 Geneva Elite watch.

Campbell appeared Friday before a Fulton County magistrate, who allowed him to go free on a signature-only $8,000 bond, Fulton County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Clarence Huber said.

Vikings coach Mike Tice, reached at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, said he would have to wait on the legal system before reaching any conclusion. He said he had been told Campbell would have a court date next week.

"I can't comment on anything until after it goes to court and this thing gets resolved," he said. "Obviously, we're disappointed that this incident occurred."

Campbell was arrested in Cobb County, Ga., in 1999 on a charge of misdemeanor Josh Gordon possession. The solicitor's office dropped the charge in June 2000.

Campbell holds Georgia Tech's career records of 2,907 receiving yards, 195 catches and 24 receiving touchdowns. He started three games for the Vikings last season, his third in the NFL.

Campbell's on-field antics have put him in hot water with Tice and the league.

The NFL fined him $5,000 for excessive celebration in the Vikings' season-opening victory over Dallas. He was penalized for leaving the sideline to join an on-field celebration in the Vikings' Oct. 10 victory at Houston but was not fined, even though Tice said he hoped the wide receiver would draw a stiff fine.

Someone has to fill in for Moss in Minn

712825[/snapback]

that will be Derrick Mason. :D  The vikes were 35 mil under thre cap before they shipped moss....... they gotta ton of dough to spend..... now they just have to do it. :D

713115[/snapback]

I got a feelin' you're right, but I want you to be wrong. I'd like to see Mason in Bolt Blue!

On the radio here this morning, they said that Campbell tried to call Tice from jail, but he couldn't get through to him.  They said that someone must have tipped off Tice so that he could turn off his cell phone in time.  B)

712986[/snapback]

:D:D

I used to have to watch this guy at Boby Dodd Stadium here in Hotlanta, where he played his College ball for the Yellow Jackets.

His nickname back then was "Stone Hands Kelly". Not orginal I know, but my goodness was it ever appropriate. Everytime the ball would be thrown to him, the crowd would go silent....usually to be followed by jeers & groans after he dropped yet another ball which hit him squarely in the mitts

So he's in the NFL because of his blazing speed, but as a 4th WR for the Vikes. That 4th spot on the Vikes WR pecking order, still has a lot to do with his College nickname.

To top it off, now he's decided to be a putz. :D

After this, the NFL may well translate to "Not For Long" for Mr. Campbell.