[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions sign QB Jeff Garcia

Dr. Rock

Sometimes, I just don't get my fellow Lions fans. While I don't like the "bring in the backup!" mentallity that Lions fans have had historically, neither do I understand the undying loyalty that Harrington commands from some quarters. The lack of quality play from the quarterback position has prevented this offense, and hence the team, from winning games, and yet Joey's supporters blame everyone else. The reality is that the running game really took off last season, the o-line has been a very good pass blocking line for quite a while, and the receiving corps, while dinged up, wasn't unreasonable. People shout about dropped passes, as if that were the sole cause of the woeful passing game, but the Lions have been near the top of the dropped passes list for the last few years. The receiving corps has had quite a bit of turnover in that time, the only constant is the quarterback, whose poor accuracy is apparent to anyone who watches a game.

In my opinion, it has to be an open quarterback competition. It's Joey's fourth year, he's making fat bank, and the offense is being held back by poor quarterbacking. I don't care if Garcia is 100, can't throw the ball more than 5 yards, and is playing with fifteen broken bones. If he can beat out Harrington, put him in. It's time for the Honalulu Blue to win.

Edited to add:

Even ninjas are Lions fans in the offseason! :D

Edited by Dr. Love

Sometimes, I just don't get my fellow Lions fans.  While I don't like the "bring in the backup!" mentallity that Lions fans have had historically, neither do I understand the undying loyalty that Harrington commands from some quarters.  The lack of quality play from the quarterback position has prevented this offense, and hence the team, from winning games, and yet Joey's supporters blame everyone else.  The reality is that the running game really took off last season, the o-line has been a very good pass blocking line for quite a while, and the receiving corps, while dinged up, wasn't unreasonable.  People shout about dropped passes, as if that were the sole cause of the woeful passing game, but the Lions have been near the top of the dropped passes list for the last few years.  The receiving corps has had quite a bit of turnover in that time, the only constant is the quarterback, whose poor accuracy is apparent to anyone who watches a game.

In my opinion, it has to be an open quarterback competition.  It's Joey's fourth year, he's making fat bank, and the offense is being held back by poor quarterbacking.  I don't care if Garcia is 100, can't throw the ball more than 5 yards, and is playing with fifteen broken bones.  If he can beat out Harrington, put him in.  It's time for the Honalulu Blue to win.

Edited to add:

Even ninjas are Lions fans in the offseason!  :D

732243[/snapback]

Wholeheartedly agree. I'm not a Joey supporter at all costs. If Garcia proves better please play him. But if that is the case, I'm concerned about the long-term play at that position as he is a short-term solution at best. From that standpoint, I am rooting for Joey to have a Breesesque breakout type of year. If Garcia wins out, what happens in '06?

Oh and nice ninja work..

I hate to tell you boys this, but you are both rank amateurs when it comes to wearing your Honolulu Blue colored glasses.  When Russman and PolicyVote start giving their reports from Lions training camp, you would think the Lions are the next great dynasty that would make the 1960's Packers, 1970's Steelers, 1980's 49er's, and 1990's Cowboys, pale in comparison.  They will wax poetic about the stockpiled talent the Lions have.  And then about half way through another 5-11 campaign, all the Lions faithful will realize that they have been duped again akin to Lucy pulling the ball away just as Charlie Brown attempts another kick.

732237[/snapback]

I love reading their Lions dissertations. It will be fun over the next few years to make fun of the Titans as the Leos should easily be better than Tennessee. We've had to listen to your smack for years and now it's our time.

Lyrics to Gridiron Heroes

The Victory Song of the Detroit Lions

(Verse)

Hail the colors Blue and Silver let them wave.

Sing their song and cheer the Gridiron Heroes brave,

Fighting for fame, winning the game,

Dashing to victory as they go.

(Chorus)

Forward down the field,

A charging team that will not yield.

And when the Blue and Silver wave,

Stand and cheer the brave.

Rah, Rah, Rah.

Go hard, win the game.

With honor you will keep your fame.

Down the field and gain,

A Lion victory!

GO LIONS!

The Lions fight song, entitled "Gridiron Heroes" dates back to the late 1930's. When the team become a part of Detroit, owner G.A. Richards called for a fight song. Wayne State University director of bands Graham T. Overgard, who was also the Lions director of entertainment, penned the lyrics and music to "Gridiron Heroes—The Victory Song of the Detroit Lions".

Still one of the oldest team fight songs in the NFL, Gridiron Heroes is still played after every Lions score.

The Lions fight song, entitled "Gridiron Heroes" dates back to the late 1930's. Still one of the oldest team fight songs in the NFL, Gridiron Heroes is still played after every Lions score.

732257[/snapback]

Wow! So, the Lions fight song hasnt been played since the 1930's..Well tune up the band because this is their year!!! :D

One thing that I haven't seen discussed yet is what will the other Lions think about Garcia in comparison to Harrington.

From what I hear (I'll leave it at that) a majority of the Lion players have no faith in Harrington. (I know that one of the O lineman has referred to Harrington as a tool.) Many players clamored for McMahon to be given an equal shot at the job. Mooch knows this.

I think that players look for a leader in their QB. Harrington ain't no leader. It will be interesting to see if the players respond to Garcia.

I can't remember the last time a team had two cake eaters as their top 2 qb's. I wonder who they will draft to be the #3...

Seriously though, I like the pickup, 1 year deal, at the end of this year we will sign the one who performs well to a long term deal and if neither does, their both gone and we can go after a top free agent with the promise of starting in 2006.

Will be a pretty envious situation for a free agent with those receivers and K.Jones in the backfield. I don't think it will come to that, I think one guy steps up, probably Garcia.

CJ

Still one of the oldest team fight songs in the NFL, Gridiron Heroes is still played after every Lions score.

732257[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the quality of the recording isn't that good, given the accumulation of dust.

I can't remember the last time a team had two cake eaters as their top 2 qb's.  I wonder who they will draft to be the #3...

Seriously though, I like the pickup, 1 year deal, at the end of this year we will sign the one who performs well to a long term deal and if neither does, their both gone and we can go after a top free agent with the promise of starting in 2006.

Will be a pretty envious situation for a free agent with those receivers and K.Jones in the backfield.  I don't think it will come to that, I think one guy steps up, probably Garcia.

CJ

732273[/snapback]

CJ,

Even if Garcia does do well, I don't see a long-term deal given his age and how beat up he's been. That's why I'm concerned about '06 and beyond.

Wow!  So, the Lions fight song hasnt been played since the 1930's..Well tune up the band because this is their year!!! :D

732267[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the quality of the recording isn't that good, given the accumulation of dust.

732274[/snapback]

Can't argue with that.

CJ,

Even if Garcia does do well, I don't see a long-term deal given his age and how beat up he's been.  That's why I'm concerned about '06 and beyond.

732285[/snapback]

Good point, didn't realize he is 35.

Hopefully Joey puts it together and Mooch goes downfield more.

They pretty much keep a young team intact which is always good. I like the additions of Kennedy and Pollard. If they can keep everyone healthy they will have a formible offense. They are probably gonna make another addition on defense in free agency and probably address it in the draft as well.

One thing that I haven't seen discussed yet is what will the other Lions think about Garcia in comparison to Harrington.

From what I hear (I'll leave it at that) a majority of the Lion players have no faith in Harrington.  (I know that one of the O lineman has referred to Harrington as a tool.)  Many players clamored for McMahon to be given an equal shot at the job.  Mooch knows this.

I think that players look for a leader in their QB.  Harrington ain't no leader.  It will be interesting to see if the players respond to Garcia.

732272[/snapback]

If Harrington starts to play well, I'm sure any team chemistry issues will evaporate. Success seems to do that.

That being said, I'm surprised that there wasn't open revolt from the defensive guys last year. They played their asses off, only to have to trot back onto the field three plays later half the time. If one QB or the other can ignite this offense, a well-rest Lions defense could be scary... especially if they resign Marcus Bell. That guy is a stud-in-the-making.

I think this is a good move for the lions.As with any veteran qb signing you get receivers they were comfortable with that want to sign right after them.The lions are very very close to signing this guy Wide Receiver

I think this is a good move for the lions.As with any veteran qb signing you get receivers they were comfortable with that want to sign right after them.The lions are very very close to signing this guy Wide Receiver

732379[/snapback]

Cool! Maybe he can help with the weight loss challenge, since I'm in the area and all :D

CJ,

Even if Garcia does do well, I don't see a long-term deal given his age and how beat up he's been.  That's why I'm concerned about '06 and beyond.

732285[/snapback]

No worries. In '06 everone will have their rings. :D