[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions sign QB Jeff Garcia

Dr. Rock

I guess I'm happy. Of those that were available this offseason he was probably the best (assuming Warner is really worthless now). I was hoping for more of a pocket passer though. Oh well, it should be about midway through the first quarter of the first game when we start hearing his name chanted..

I guess I'm happy.  Of those that were available this offseason he was probably the best (assuming Warner is really worthless now).  I was hoping for more of a pocket passer though.  Oh well, it should be about midway through the first quarter of the first game when we start hearing his name chanted..

731654[/snapback]

Yeah Harrington does suck.

I think Garcia's a great addition for detroit -- but I don't think he'll see the field as long as Harrington is healthy. Joey will break out this season. With all his doubters, his potential, and his improved supporting cast, he's my target for a last round pick for the backup QB slot of the Jellies (14 team league) ...

I'm just hoping for an open competition... if Harrington, as much as I despise him and that goofy-assed "whoops, I just threw an interception" grin, can beat Garcia out fair and square, that's great. But I don't want Garcia sitting on the bench if Mooch thinks he gives us a better chance of winning.

I'm just hoping for an open competition... if Harrington, as much as I despise him and that goofy-assed "whoops, I just threw an interception" grin, can beat Garcia out fair and square, that's great.  But I don't want Garcia sitting on the bench if Mooch thinks he gives us a better chance of winning.

731777[/snapback]

Well, Joey is the starter now, and barring injury will get the Week 1 start come hell or high water. If Joey doesn't step up, he'll get the hook sooner rather than later because Mooch is so high on Garcia. But there's no way the Fords and Millen let Mooch have his 36-year-old noodle-armed pet QB, and then in the next breath leave it up to Mooch as to who starts--not when they're cutting Joey's paychecks.

Peace

policy

reunited with Mooch...should be good.

731792[/snapback]

Heh, funny thing about that. You see, Mooch is having to change his game plan this year. After fine-honing his flavor of the WCO to Garica's talents for years, and then stripping it down for Harrington's benefit, Mooch's offense (as of 2004) is EXTREMELY conservative and close to the vest.

However, Harrington is pretty much the anti-Garcia, and the Lions' WRs are much better suited to downfield routes than dinks and dunks. It's pretty hard to generate yards after the catch when you lead the league in drops every year. Harrington's sweet spot seems to be in the 15-to-30 yard range, where he can hit sprinting WR in stride, just as he makes he break. When Harrington's got time to throw, and a semi-open WR to throw to, he throws impressively accurate and catchable balls.

After criticism for the fans and front office alike, Mooch brought in gray-haired OC Ted Tollner, who has nearly 30 years of NFL offensive experience, having coached almost every offense imaginable. His influence on the offense is supposed to provide more of that downfield passing. Just about everybody in the Lions' organization has been quoted about this change in philosophy, trying to match the talent on the field, building the system around the players instead of shoehorning players into a system, etc. etc. etc. So, in light of all this, the Garcia signing seems very out-of-place. If the offensive philosophy is supposed to be one of throwing downfield--and not pretending that Detroit is San Fran Midwest--why bring in Mooch's old weak-armed sidekick?

The answer is that Garcia already knows the system, he already knows the terminology, and--most importantly--he doesn't need or want a lot of practice reps. Go google Mariucci quotes about Mike McMahon in 2004. Practically every time he mentioned McMahon, he mentioned getting him more reps in practice and in games. But, Garcia doesn't need reps. They'll be able to give Joey almost every snap in training camp and practice, which should both help him take the next level in his WCO development, and help build a rapport with a WR corps that has basically been a rotating cast of practice-squadders for his entire career.

I think Brad Johnson gave the Lions a better chance to win, and posed a more legitimate threat to Joey as the starter, but Garcia both mollifies Mooch and sets Joey up for success. I like the signing.

Peace

policy

Policy, all good points, but there is a hole in it. That offense needs a QB and a WR corp that are on the same page. The only way to develop that is with reps. Timing patterns are very dependent on the chemistry between the WR's and the QB. Just the difference in velocity can throw everything off. Mooch knows that, and garcia will get his share of reps, but will need fewer than a QB who is new to a system.

Detroit doesn't need a QB they need WRs with Charlie Rogers being :D .  Draft day might actually have a meaning for Detroit.

731871[/snapback]

You haven't been paying attention. The Lions have done very well in the draft recently. They were actually graded top performance in last years draft by just about everyone afterward. Roy Williams, Kevin Jones and Teddy Lehman last year alone. That's 3 rookies who made significant contributions their first year. You don't see that too often.

Roy did OK

Kevin Jones still has to prove himself in my mind

Lehman point taken

731879[/snapback]

All three of them still have to prove themselves long-term. Many rookies don't contribute much at all that early. Saying the draft this year may finally have meaning is strange, considering they probably had the best draft of any team one year ago.

Roy did OK

Kevin Jones still has to prove himself in my mind

Lehman point taken

731879[/snapback]

Of course all 2nd year players will be viewed as 'proving themselves' sine they've only got one year of stats behind them......

15 games-Kevin Jones-241 carries-1133 yds 5Tds rushing

28 recpts -180 yds 1TD recieving

Played through an ankle injury early in the season and still managed to post pretty darn good stats. TDs are a bit low but the team as a whole struggled to reach the end zone. If Mooch would've taken the reins off of Jones a little earlier in the year then I think he would've posted even greater overall numbers. That and quit bringing in Bryson on every single passing down!!

Edited by Tyler Rose

Who is the #1 wr in Detroit, Rogers or Williams?

732106[/snapback]

As far as everything I can read locally hear I believe Williams will be the #1. In his rookie year he played more than Rogers has in his 2 years here. Rogers rehab seems on schedule and he's supposed to attend all camps but I do believe Williams is the #1.

I'm just hoping for an open competition... if Harrington, as much as I despise him and that goofy-assed "whoops, I just threw an interception" grin, can beat Garcia out fair and square, that's great.  But I don't want Garcia sitting on the bench if Mooch thinks he gives us a better chance of winning.

731777[/snapback]

Hey Dr.,

I grew up in Midland!

I'm excited about Garcia joining the Lions cast and am interested to see if he can relive some of his past success with Mariucci.

- Grosse Pointe Gridder

Like we really needed and aging, noodle armed, hurt back-shoulder-knee, qb here...  I bet Mooch cant wait to put his boy in the game..

732162[/snapback]

C'mon, it's the offseason. You're supposed to be wearing your Honolulu Blue colored glasses. Didn't you get the memo. Lions fans aren't allowed to complain until after the season starts.

C'mon, it's the offseason.  You're supposed to be wearing your Honolulu Blue colored glasses.  Didn't you get the memo.  Lions fans aren't allowed to complain until after the season starts.

732214[/snapback]

I have mine on.

I hope we don't ever have to go to Garcia, but unless Joey starts out on fire, the fans will clamor for Garcia. What do we do long-term if Joey doesn't break out this year? Garcia would obviously just be a band aid. I wonder what experienced QB's will be on the market next offseason. I think with our nucleus of skill position players coming into their own, the Lions cannot afford to start with another young QB next year if Joey is run out of town.

Edited by Puddy

C'mon, it's the offseason.  You're supposed to be wearing your Honolulu Blue colored glasses.  Didn't you get the memo.  Lions fans aren't allowed to complain until after the season starts.

732214[/snapback]

I have mine on. 

732221[/snapback]

I hate to tell you boys this, but you are both rank amateurs when it comes to wearing your Honolulu Blue colored glasses. When Russman and PolicyVote start giving their reports from Lions training camp, you would think the Lions are the next great dynasty that would make the 1960's Packers, 1970's Steelers, 1980's 49er's, and 1990's Cowboys, pale in comparison. They will wax poetic about the stockpiled talent the Lions have. And then about half way through another 5-11 campaign, all the Lions faithful will realize that they have been duped again akin to Lucy pulling the ball away just as Charlie Brown attempts another kick.