[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2005 AFC East Predictions

Rovers

I thought it might be fun to look at just one division, and prognosticate.

New England won't be as good as they were.... but still win the division easilly. I figure 11 wins, due in part to a very tough schedule and some player losses, like Teddy B., Law and Brown.

Buffalo finished strong, but with a virtual rookie QB, they will suffer for it. If Losman astounds, they could win 10 games, and capture a wild card. I guess he costs them 2 games, and they finish at 8-8.

The Jets will enter the season with players from key postions lost to FA. Can Coles stay healthy? Pennington... coming off shoulder surgery is a concern. Martin is a year older. 9 wins, with a very difficult schedule, and out of the playoffs.

Miami, despite having a pretty good D can't rebuild last year's worst NFL offense in one year, even with a stud rookie RB. Feeley....? Nuff said, 6 wins would make it a good year.

That's my take.

I would surmise that Teddy B will still be closely tied to the team even if not on the field. I'd think he could write his own ticket as an assistant coach of whatever he wants. Just his presence around the team will inspire the defense and whoever they try to plug into his position(s). "Win another one for Teddy" could be the battle cry ringing through New England......as if they need a reason to try harder.

I see it this way.

NE - Even with the loss of many coaches and players they are still the class of the Division.

NYJ - Could push for the Division title but questions about Pennington's injury and their schedule should land them in 2nd.

Mia - Improved on a already good D. Their D kept them in every game except for the Jets game on MNF. If they can improve their O somewhat they should be around .500 this year.

Buff - D will keep them in games but their QB is essentially a rookie after being injured last year. Losman will make his mistakes and cost them some games.

New England--Yeah yeah

Buffalo--Their D may be #1 in the league this year, and McGahee seems to be a bit of a TD maker, and their receivers can make some big plays on their own. They will initially try to protect Losman and limit the amount or responsibility put on him, but my hunch is that he makes the transition much faster than Boller.

NYJ--THere is no way they can get the kind of production out of the running game that they had last year. I love their young defensive players, but I don't think they are talented enough offensively.

Miami--If they can somehow get decent QB play, you could see this team improve DRASTICALLY. They should have a good running game, they have plenty of options at WR & TE, and their defense can still potentially be stellar.

Jets--Coles will be a star again and Penny gets it together..."D" pretty strong....

Pats--lose division to Jets on tie-breaker--both at 10-6

Bills--.500 team

Dolphins--Feely will keep this team in rebuilding stages...

:D

Miami - will surprise with a gelled oline - Ronnie Brown - new coaching staff a good D made even better.

Buffalo - Ball Control and a good D will get them here.

New England - Too many losses and Tuna love will seem them coming in at .500 this year.

NYJ - Penningtons Surgery, Martins Age and poor general management will have them as the worst team in the division....

Edited by Duchess Jack

All these teams play the AFC West and NFC South this year. That strikes me as above average in schedule difficulty. But throwing in their final standings counterparts from the AFC South and North is pretty tough. That is a difficult schedule to come out above .500.

I have to wonder about the Bills and Miami without a clear vet QB at the helm. Pittsburgh is the exception to the rule of first year QBs leading a team to the playoffs. Yes, Buffalo has quite a bit of talent on that team, but you have to temper expectations with an unproven QB.

Until Miami gets its QB and RB situation resoolved, you have to think they'll struggle no matter how good that D is. Speaking of that D, the rats are leaving that sinking ship this offseason. Miami may not recover from the Ricky fiasco for another year or two.

The Jets are always strange to me. I just can't seem to get a read on this team most years. So I just always pencil them in for .500 and know I'm not too far off. :D

Its NE, NE, NE all the way in this division again. They still just seem to have a lot of talent and plug new folks in exceptionaly well. And, that is sooooo irritating.

NE 12-4

NYJ 8-8

BUF 7-9

MIA 4-12

A down year for the East IMO.

The Bills fate will be as much about filling the shoes of DT Pat Williams as it is J.P. Losman. Williams has filled the middle, taking two to three blockers with him for the last four years. So not only will J.P. have to produce, but the draft on Defense will also.