[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben on Big Bike

soloArtist

You betchyer butt that a big cruising bike is safer than a bike that is built for trick riding and blazing fast acceleration and  speed. When one is doing wheelies and endos, yea, you'de better have yer helmet on. Dr Love, stick to the sort of riding yer avatar indicates you are familiar with. The risk factors in trick riding one of those crotch rockets is a FAR greater risk than riding a big cruising bike in a group. No implication...... FACT.

806781[/snapback]

This is true ... especially if the group has Harley's in it. Most Harley's are loud enough that if the drivers around them don't see them they at least hear it and know someone is there (especially a group). Riding without a helmet is stupid period though IMO but there are people who have ridden for many years and never been in an accident. Is it a chance ... yes ... is it as much of a chance as Winslow's choice ... I'm not too sure about that. Anyone who goes out and buys a GSXR 750 after seeing a stunt show and then takes it to a parking lot that has a lot of curb around it is probably asking for trouble.

I have seen people riding wheelies on crotch rockets down the highway wearing shorts and a t-shirt ... that is plain stupid. When an individual wants to ride a motorcycle and he tries to take various precautions and does so safely and isn't trying to show off or be risky ... it can't be thrown into the same category. Winslow must not have had enough experience to know he wasn't going to be able to stop before hitting the curb. I am sure some riders who would have been in his position may have just laid the bike down instead of staying on and being thrown over the handlebars ...

Either way, I think it is a mistake to risk your own life dream on some bike riding pleasure when you can make enough to retire to some nice warm place to ride your bike all year long in less than ten years ... or more if you are ambitious.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on my bike with straight pipes, no baffle at all. People have almost pulled into lanes with me in it. They would always say i didn't see you. They could hear me coming for 3 blocks away. Bike riding is very defensive, keep your head on a swivel and beware of every a-hole in a car.

I am not saying there is no chance of another driver not seeing you on a big, loud bike ... there are people driving around out there that pull in front of semi's because they are simply not paying attention. But riding in a group of loud bikes decreases the chances of getting hit.

Every time I go for a cycle ride for even a minor distance I can tell there is more strain on my eyes, arms, etc. because of having to be more alert.

I am not saying there is no chance of another driver not seeing you on a big, loud bike ... there are people driving around out there that pull in front of semi's because they are simply not paying attention.  But riding in a group of loud bikes decreases the chances of getting hit.

Every time I go for a cycle ride for even a minor distance I can tell there is more strain on my eyes, arms, etc. because of having to be more alert.

807296[/snapback]

Again another good reason , he should wait until after his Football career to ride.

You betchyer butt that a big cruising bike is safer than a bike that is built for trick riding and blazing fast acceleration and  speed. When one is doing wheelies and endos, yea, you'de better have yer helmet on. Dr Love, stick to the sort of riding yer avatar indicates you are familiar with. The risk factors in trick riding one of those crotch rockets is a FAR greater risk than riding a big cruising bike in a group. No implication...... FACT.

806781[/snapback]

Bull. If we're looking at Winslow's situation vs. Ben's situation, I'd say that f'n around in a parking lot with a loose helmet is safer than riding on the road without one. Debilitating injuries and deaths are usually due not to the spill itself, but being hit by a car or hitting obstacles (guardrails, signposts, etc.) while falling/sliding. While doing stoppies in the parking lot increases the risk of hurting one's self via scrapes, sprains, and broken bones, it's pretty unlikely that it would cause death or paralysis. Getting hit by a car sans helmet, though, will almost certainly cause major bodily harm.

Second, if we're talking about sports bikes vs. Harleys - just the machines themselves - my guess is one would be less likely to get hurt on a sports bike because they're so much more agile; it would be a lot harder to lose control of a sports bike. Although not recommended, it is possible to drop your foot on a sports bike if trouble arises and not lose it. If a Harley, or, God forbid, some goofy-assed chopper starts to lose it a little, dropping a foot isn't going to help. Those things are just too darned heavy.

Even if we take the tendencies of the riders into account, I'd say it's about even. While sports bike guys tend to ride fast and do tricks, they're also more likely to wear real safety gear, e.g., Snell-approved helmet, jacket/pants with joint armor, gloves with Kevlar palms, etc. Harley riders may not be doing 150 down the expressway, but most I've run into aren't doing 55, either. Plus, they've usually got one of those worthless brain buckets for a helmet and maybe a jean jacket for protection, and they're far more likely to ride astride one another (very dangerous) than sports bike guys, who tend to run staggered.

The bottom line is that riding any motorcycle is dangerous, and the particular model of the bike that one chooses really doesn't make it significantly more or less so. Ben is taking a risk, as was Winslow. Trying to say one is okay while the other is not is just ridiculous.

I am not saying there is no chance of another driver not seeing you on a big, loud bike ... there are people driving around out there that pull in front of semi's because they are simply not paying attention.  But riding in a group of loud bikes decreases the chances of getting hit.

807296[/snapback]

Meh, I think the whole "loud pipes save lives" thing is mostly crap. People only hear the pipes once they're behind the bike - too late for the biker. I think it's more of an excuse for guys to compensate for their little peeners by making a lot of noise. :D

807296[/snapback]

Seriously, that's one of the biggest reasons I'm selling my bike. I'm so worried about not getting hit that I don't enjoy my ride very much. The girlfriend loves the bike, but I'm extra nervous putting anyone else's life in my hands like that. It just isn't worth it anymore.

I have seen at least ten different cycle accidents on the road. Every single one had neon colored fiberglass spread out over about 200 yards or so. that stuff didnt come off a Harley. No statistics, just my personal observations of road burn. And, btw, always on a highway.

Dr. Love, I agree with everything you've said, especially about the parking lot thing. People seem to forget that Winslow WAS doing the smart thing, by being in a controlled environment while practicing on his bike. Sure, he should have tightened the helmet, but how many of us (if you played football), went out and did some "light" contact and didn't strap on fully. Same with basketball, i've "shoot around" with low top tennis shoes on, and then sprained my ankle. I think winslow was trying to be smart by doing his "playing" in a parking lot. Now Ben, riding in the streets/highway with no helmet, come on, how can anyone NOT see the stupidity in that. atleast winslow tried to be safe (seriously, if you were going to learn to ride a bike or do a trick, isn't a parking lot the best place to do it? I learned how to drive a manual car in a parking lot), ben is just asking for it.

Edited by soloArtist

Hey Doc, your first post was right on, the second about the loud pipes tells me you must ride a rice burner, i feel sorry for you bro. :D

So, you are saying that Ben has more to live for than you do? OK, overstatment, but not all that far off either. He is already a rich man, and with some smarts, his family should, I say should have thier future well safe and in hand. Just because he makes more money, his risk is greater? He does not sound reckless at all to me, it sounds like he knows what he's doing. NSab, I'm very surprised at this response. You are worth every bit that Ben is, it isnt a money question in my mind, and I'd guess yer kids would agree with me...... money has nothing to do with it. IMHO.

806528[/snapback]

I don't have a contractual agreement to stay off a bike.

People seem to forget that Winslow WAS doing the smart thing, by being in a controlled environment while practicing on his bike.

807715[/snapback]

One report I saw said the guy did not even have a learner's permit yet. IF that is true, he was not doing the smart thing he was doing the only thing he could do. Another report I saw said he had been riding wheelies up and down his residential street which is flat out wrong. IF he had no permit and was a first time rider trying to do stunts on a GSXR 750 and he hit the curb at 35mph he was trying to do to much ... I don't care if he was in a parking lot it shows he didn't know what he was doing and he should have know when to stop.

As for Ben, is he taking a risk ... yes, but it is not the risk Winslow was taking. Stunt riding is a lot riskier than riding on the road, WHEN you don't know how to do it.

Noboys seems to have read the last part of one of my previous posts though ...

Either way, I think it is a mistake to risk your own life dream on some bike riding pleasure when you can make enough to retire to some nice warm place to ride your bike all year long in less than ten years ... or more if you are ambitious.

Hey Doc, your first post was right on, the second about the loud pipes tells me you must ride a rice burner, i feel sorry for you bro. :D

807912[/snapback]

I own a CBR600 F4i - a really great bike. Hopefully not for long, though, as I'm trying to get rid of it.

As to the cruiser vs. sportsbike debate, I have no problem with cruisers. My main beef is with Harleys, or at least people who have the retarded idea that they're superior. At best, a Harley owner is paying 2-4X as much for a bike that's maybe as good as a Yamaha or Suzuki. Harley has made strides in improving their bikes, but from what I've seen, they still need more maintenance and repairs than their foreign counterparts. This attitude isn't limited to Harleys... I'm not a big fan of Italian bikes, either, for much the same reason. Aprillias and Ducatis are just too much work and too expensive for my tastes.

And I'm sticking to my guns about the loud pipes thing. From a car, one can only hear a loud bike once the bike has passed (when the car is in back of the pipes). The bike is easily seen by that point. People just keep spouting that crap because it kind of rhymes, and probably because they never really thought about it. There's no reason that bikes need to be that loud, except for the small weiner reason.

One report I saw said the guy did not even have a learner's permit yet.  IF that is true, he was not doing the smart thing he was doing the only thing he could do.  Another report I saw said he had been riding wheelies up and down his residential street which is flat out wrong.  IF he had no permit and was a first time rider trying to do stunts on a GSXR 750 and he hit the curb at 35mph he was trying to do to much ... I don't care if he was in a parking lot it shows he didn't know what he was doing and he should have know when to stop.

As for Ben, is he taking a risk ... yes, but it is not the risk Winslow was taking.  Stunt riding is a lot riskier than riding on the road, WHEN you don't know how to do it.

Noboys seems to have read the last part of one of my previous posts though ...

808075[/snapback]

Actually, ESPN reported that he DID have a learner's permit, he hadn't taken lessons though. And I still fail to see how riding on the road (with other cars/bikes) with no helmet is less risky than riding in a parking lot with a helmet. I'm not saying that it's not risky, but how is it less risky? Both are (or were, in the case of winslow) taking a risk with thier lives, and in my opinion, not being the smartest of individuals. But like someone else said earlier in this thread, this is america, they can do whatever they want.

Edited by soloArtist

Actually, ESPN reported that he DID have a learner's permit, he hadn't taken lessons though. 

808592[/snapback]

Thanks ... I did see that after I had posted previously.

Maybe I am simplistic in my view but when it is your time to go, it is your time to go ... doesn't matter whether you're on a bike, in a compact car, in an SUV, on a plane, or walking to your mailbox.

It is an unneccesary risk for any pro athlete to take, but like you said ... it is their choice.

For some reason the majority of riders I see are not wearing helmets ... a mistake I think, but I am not responsible for them.

I think Cowher is doing his part in trying to encourage him to think about it.

Dr. as for the comments on the Harley's I couldn't agree more.

If i have to explain ( Harley Davidsons) , you wouldn't understand.

I own a CBR600 F4i - a really great bike.  Hopefully not for long, though, as I'm trying to get rid of it. 

As to the cruiser vs. sportsbike debate, I have no problem with cruisers.  My main beef is with Harleys, or at least people who have the retarded idea that they're superior.  At best, a Harley owner is paying 2-4X as much for a bike that's maybe as good as a Yamaha or Suzuki.  Harley has made strides in improving their bikes, but from what I've seen, they still need more maintenance and repairs than their foreign counterparts.  This attitude isn't limited to Harleys... I'm not a big fan of Italian bikes, either, for much the same reason.  Aprillias and Ducatis are just too much work and too expensive for my tastes.

And I'm sticking to my guns about the loud pipes thing.  From a car, one can only hear a loud bike once the bike has passed (when the car is in back of the pipes).  The bike is easily seen by that point.  People just keep spouting that crap because it kind of rhymes, and probably because they never really thought about it.  There's no reason that bikes need to be that loud, except for the small weiner reason.

808238[/snapback]

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I have to say, if I was making the money these guys are making I would not take chances with my health. I know a person can get hurt in a car wreck the same way they can a motorcycle wreck but the simple truth is you are less protected on a motorcycle.

I say park the dam thing until you're done playing and then ride your a$$ off.

Why run the risk of getting hurt just to ride a motorcycle when you are risking MILLIONS a year in salary?

806781[/snapback]

I've seen more friends end up in bad shape coming off a Hog than I've seen with the rice burners but, does this include the bar fight also? :D

Seriously, both types of bikes represent a risk and a previous post said everyone takes a spill, which is correct. Experienced or not it will happen, the question is how bad it will be and when. You're no safer on a Cruiser than a pocket rocket with the idiots on the road today. It'll be the woman drinking a coffee, putting on her make-up while talking on the cell phone and trying to read a paper that'll get ya. And ya, I have definitely seen this on the NJ Parkway, it's no joke!!!

Now here's a tidbit for ya ta chew on..... MADDOX also rides a big bike, with NO HELMET! :D Just read that today at PFT... to lazy to link it.

As far as the debate of pocket rockets vs. the big bikes, I bow out.... I don't ride. But, I will repeat, I've never seen a Harley down, although I know full well it happens, but I have seen a chitload of rice burners spread out over a couple hundred yards on the highway. We tend to believe what we see, eh?

At best, a Harley owner is paying 2-4X as much for a bike that's maybe as good as a Yamaha or Suzuki.

808238[/snapback]

One thing though. After several years of enjoying your Harley and you go to finally sell it, you'll be nicely surprised to find it's held it's value. :D

Good luck on trying to sell a rice burner for much more than a can of pop and bag of peanuts after several years of ownership. :D

Now here's a tidbit for ya ta chew on..... MADDOX also rides a big bike, with NO HELMET!  :D  Just read that today at PFT... to lazy to link it.

As far as the debate of pocket rockets vs. the big bikes, I bow out.... I don't ride. But, I will repeat, I've never seen a Harley down, although I know full well it happens, but I have seen a chitload of rice burners spread out over a couple hundred yards on the highway. We tend to believe what we see, eh?

816870[/snapback]

Here is the link ...

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05138/506224.stm

One thing though. After several years of enjoying your Harley and you go to finally sell it, you'll be nicely surprised to find it's held it's value. :D

Good luck on trying to sell a rice burner for much more than a can of pop and bag of peanuts after several years of ownership.  :D

816931[/snapback]

Just because people pay a lot for a used Harley, that doesn't mean that they're really worth a lot. I figure it's like the internet stock bubble... there's really no reason for a Harley to maintain its value any more than a car or a snowmobile or a sportbike. Someday, the buying public will wise up to it. Until then, I guess it's good for Harley riders.

I'm getting $5000 out of my bike. Not too bad, considering it was only around $7500 new. I understand why the used sportbike market is soft. First, they're fairly cheap brand new. Second, most people buy them with the intent to beat the ever-living piss out of them.