[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Priest Holmes

Hat Trick

What's up fellas! It's been awhile and I haven't been around so I appologize if this has been posted. Good Read! I have to post the story so you don't have to sign up.

Chiefs running back’s body language says it all

Holmes a nice fit at workouts

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

Priest Holmes refers to “The Body” as if it’s a separate entity. The body is holding up well. The body is down 7 pounds. When it is time for Priest to call it quits, the body will tell him.

For a moment Thursday, it sounded as if Holmes was trying to hint at something. Is the end near? It’s year nine in the NFL for Holmes, the Chiefs’ veteran halfback. The knee that kept him out of the second half of 2004 is covered in a large wrap that extends to his lower calf.

A few feet away from him, Larry Johnson, the young buck, continues to show that he’s healthy and ready to be a starting NFL halfback.

“He’s definitely going to be the new face for the Kansas City Chiefs,” Holmes said. “And I’m excited to be here and to be able to leave that legacy behind and give him the torch.”

This handoff will have to wait. Holmes, 31, arrived in Kansas City this week for offseason workouts, and coach Dick Vermeil said Holmes is probably the strongest he’s been his entire life. In a weight room in Texas, Holmes bulked up to 222 pounds.

Holmes, a 5-foot-9 Pro Bowler, said he’s dropped 7 of that in the last three weeks by laying off the honey buns.

About 20 minutes into his second workout Thursday, Holmes showed the burst that carried him to 892 yards in half of a season. He broke a long run during an 11-on-11 drill, prompting a sideline observer to shout, “How about that running back?”

Vermeil’s program is built on trust, so when Holmes said he was going to spend the winter months training in Texas, offensive coordinator Al Saunders didn’t flinch. In some ways, Holmes’ work habits remind Saunders of Hall of Fame receiver Charlie Joiner, who’s now the Chiefs’ receivers coach.

Joiner used to train in Houston, away from his Charger teammates. He’d come to camp in better shape than anybody.

“Thank you for being here,” Saunders said to Holmes when he arrived Wednesday.

Saunders now has two running backs capable of producing 1,000-yard seasons. Before the knee injury, Holmes had run for at least 1,400 yards in his first three years with the Chiefs. Johnson, filling in for Holmes, piled up 151 yards on 30 carries in a late-season game against Denver.

In a perfect world, Holmes envisions a one-two punch like he had at Texas in 1996 with Ricky Williams. Johnson, who’s more of a pounding back, said he has no problem sharing snaps with Holmes. Or watching the veteran give a few more lessons.

“He’s here to help this team succeed,” Johnson said, “and I’m here to help extend his career even longer if he wants to stick around more. I’m just here to be his backup and do everything I need to put myself in position if he decides to either give it up or go down.

“It’s real cool between us. We don’t even talk about football that much. That stuff kind of gets tiring.”

Holmes said he won’t be the type of player who hangs around when his skills fade. He doesn’t want to be the guy who holds on and struggles to get 200 yards in a season.

His body will tell him when it’s over.

Thing is, the body’s been telling him a lot of things lately. There was the torn hip muscle at the end of 2002, then the long road of rehab. Holmes didn’t even start running until the third week of July in 2003. He still managed 1,420 yards in 320 carries.

When asked Thursday what Priest can do for him in 2005, Vermeil jokingly rattled off 2,100 yards and 29 touchdowns. Holmes doesn’t think it’s so funny. He has a deal with Chiefs trainer Keith Abrams.

They want 30 touchdowns this year.

“I read my body very well,” Holmes said. “There’s one thing to be able to play three quarters on skill and then leave the last quarter to will. It’s different when you’re playing from the very beginning of the game on will because all your skill is diminishing. That’s not the case with me. My skill level is still very high.

“I’m out here, I’m running, and I’m excited about how the body has healed up.”

I'd bet there will be some FF'ers kicking themselves this year after they pass on Mr. Holmes :D

In a perfect world, Holmes envisions a one-two punch like he had at Texas in 1996 with Ricky Williams. Johnson, who’s more of a pounding back, said he has no problem sharing snaps with Holmes.

“and I’m here to help extend his career even longer if he wants to stick around more.

I'd bet there will be some FF'ers kicking themselves this year after they pass on Mr. Holmes :D

821018[/snapback]

Some might be kicking themselves but similar things have been said about his conditioning in the past and there's only so much conditioning one can do to avoid knee problems. That, combined with the fact that those quotes make it sound as if Johnson's going to be a bigger part of the offense, may make me one those kicking himself.

I don't think anyone can deny the games this guy is capable of ...but you have to take into account the injuries. He missed half a season last year, and articles like this one were in the preseason last year (obviously not exactly, but basically the same "I'm completely healthy and want to break rushing records/ my own TD record" stuff. I personally don't think I could take him at #1 just because of the injury concern and the fact that after missing an entire half season last year, you would think Vermeil would use a very capable Larry Johnson more often to spell Priest. Just my thoughts ...........good article though.

I don't think anyone can deny the games this guy is capable of ...but you have to take into account the injuries.  He missed half a season last year, and articles like this one were in the preseason last year (obviously not exactly, but basically the same "I'm completely healthy and want to break rushing records/ my own TD record" stuff.  I personally don't think I could take him at #1 just because of the injury concern and the fact that after missing an entire half season last year, you would think Vermeil would use a very capable Larry Johnson more often to spell Priest.  Just my thoughts ...........good article though.

821036[/snapback]

You are very wise pedroz13. I don't know if he will be in the top 5 either.

You are very wise pedroz13. I don't know if he will be in the top 5 either.

821047[/snapback]

I'd gladly take him in the late first round, but not in the Top 5. We all know what he's capable of, but I think that his glory days are over. He's 32, coming off of a major knee injury, and any injuries on that line (which has been healthy since '01) will significantly impact his numbers. If healthy, he'll still put up good numbers, but even then I think that the days of 2000+ total yds and 20+ TDs are over.

you would think Vermeil would use a very capable Larry Johnson more often to spell Priest. 

821036[/snapback]

I'll bet he does. With Johnson as a capable back-up, it would be smart to use him to keep Holmes strong and healthy!

Sure Johnson may take some yards, carries and scores away from Holmes but IMHO you don't use Larry Johnson to prolong the career of an OK RB.  You want to prolong the career of a difference-maker.

821170[/snapback]

...so, are you saying Holmes is an "OK RB"?

Holmes will have this year and possibly next but, will he be able to stay healthy? That's the gamble you have to take on any R/B that's up in age but, if you are going to gamble, he's the guy I would gamble on. Top five, maybe not but certainly top ten.

Holmes will not leave the NFL before 10 yrs of service for the benefits.

Second, Holmes will be the starter without question and could easily put up 1500 yds rush, 300 rec, and 20 TDs in this offense if he plays every game. Larry Johnson will be a stud one day, but its not going to happen in 2005.

I'd definitely take him top 5, especially if I could handcuff Johnson right next to him in my lineup. I mean, he did get injured, but his rushing numbers were up last year compared to 2003 after 8 games (770).

After scoring Curtis Martin in the 6th round last year, I'm not about to start underestimating Holmes.

Holmes will not leave the NFL before 10 yrs of service for the benefits.

Second, Holmes will be the starter without question and could easily put up 1500 yds rush, 300 rec, and 20 TDs in this offense if he plays every game.  Larry Johnson will be a stud one day, but its not going to happen in 2005.

822070[/snapback]

First off Holme's can't control if he stays in the league for 10 years.

He is the obvious starter when he is healthy, and when he does go down again this year Johnson will be there to close the book on him.

This guys ability is doubted every year and he continues to prove the skeptics wrong while performing at a high level. If he plays 10 games he will out score 75% of the rest of the RB's.-great nose for the end- zone.

822561[/snapback]

I'd be even more concerned about Priest's supporting cast. How much longer will 35-year-old Willie Roaf or 34-year-old Will Shields be able to plow vast holes through defensive lines? Will Todd Collins or Damon Huard be able to keep 8 men out of the box if 35-year-old Trent Green goes down? How much longer will 32-year-old Eddie Kennison be able to burn DBs? Does 34-year-old Johnnie Morton have anything left? Would Dante Hall be a legitimate replacement for Morton? If not, are Sammie Parker or Chris Horn legitimate NFL starters?

No offense to Chiefs fans, but I see this offense coming back down to Earth sooner rather than later. Perhaps not as bad as the '02-to-'03 Raiders, but the age issue is certainly comparable.

I'd be even more concerned about Priest's supporting cast.  How much longer will 35-year-old Willie Roaf or 34-year-old Will Shields be able to plow vast holes through defensive lines?  Will Todd Collins or Damon Huard be able to keep 8 men out of the box if 35-year-old Trent Green goes down?  How much longer will 32-year-old Eddie Kennison be able to burn DBs?  Does 34-year-old Johnnie Morton have anything left?  Would Dante Hall be a legitimate replacement for Morton?  If not, are Sammie Parker or Chris Horn legitimate NFL starters?

No offense to Chiefs fans, but I see this offense coming back down to Earth sooner rather than later.  Perhaps not as bad as the '02-to-'03 Raiders, but the age issue is certainly comparable.

823219[/snapback]

Good point Bill.