[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Lewis...Is he a top 5 pick?

Does anyone feel the same way about Jamal Lewis this year as I do? I think he is a top 5 pick and I am even thinking about taking him #3 in a 12 team league. I just think that with all the legal stuff behind him and the ankle being repaired that he is focused and ready to dominant again this season. Plus the addition of Mason and Clayton in the passing game and a healthy Todd Heap means less players in the box. Throw in the fact that they play Cleveland twice, I think Lewis warrants being a top 5 pick. What do you think? Am I way off?

Thanks

He is a top 3 pick in my opinion but if I were you if there is a way you can trade down, I would trade down to the 7th or 8th pick and still pick him up there.  That gives you a better pick coming back down too.

871427[/snapback]

well there is a problem. more hype is brewing about lewis being good so i dont think you can get him with the 7th pick anymore. trade down to the 5th or 6th pick to be safe.

Edited by seminoles

I have Edge, Lewis, and Portis as keepers from last year, and I can only start 2 RB's so I'm looking to deal 1 for Moss who is also a keeper. At any rate the 1 I wouldn't deal the most is Lewis. He is my # 1 rated RB right now. I think he is in for a big year. Like you said above he is healthy, his legal issues are behind him, his O is MUCH better, he also should be highly motivated after last year, and lets also not forget he should be nice and fresh after not having the pounding he's been getting year after year last year. Plus history shows the year after a 2000 yard season guys have struggled so he had that kind of going against him last year as well. The biggest key might be their O being clearly better which means more TD's for Lewis due to more drives by the O. He pretty much gets every touch inside the 5. With that said in most redraft leagues LT, Alexander, Manning, Deuce, Holmes, and Edge in no particular order will most likely all go ahead of him. So if I were to trade down I wouldn't go lower then 7 and might play it safe and only go to 6. The ONLY fear I have with Lewis is that the Ravens matched the offer to keep C. Taylor. Now I know he is the backup but they paid a pretty decent price to keep him and might try to use him to spell Jamal more then in past years, but I'm not too concerned with that. It's just something I noticed that's all.

Does anyone feel the same way about Jamal Lewis this year as I do?  I think he is a top 5 pick and I am even thinking about taking him #3 in a 12 team league.  I just think that with all the legal stuff behind him and the ankle being repaired that he is focused and ready to dominant again this season.  Plus the addition of Mason and Clayton in the passing game and a healthy Todd Heap means less players in the box.  Throw in the fact that they play Cleveland twice,  I think Lewis warrants being a top 5 pick.  What do you think?  Am I way off?

Thanks

871375[/snapback]

If Boller can't perform well, all that other stuff won't really matter. I think a lot of Lewis' success this year will depend on the performance of Boller. It looks as though things are aligned for him to succeed though. Hopefully, Boller can put up at least average stats for Lewis owners.

If Boller can't perform well, all that other stuff won't really matter.  I think a lot of Lewis' success this year will depend on the performance of Boller.  It looks as though things are aligned for him to succeed though.  Hopefully, Boller can put up at least average stats for Lewis owners.

871669[/snapback]

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but can't think of much better way to say this - wasn't the passing game about the same in each of the past two years, including Jamal's wonder season? This is a team, IMO, much like Atlanta, that only needs a semblance of a working passing game to run the ball. Just a little bit of a threat of the pass and the offensive line and RB can do the rest. I could be wrong, but I don't think it matters.

They've also upgrade their blocking coming from the WR position with both Mason and Clayton. I don't think anyone has thought much about that, but I'm looking for a few more 20+ yard TD's this year, which helps if your scoring dictates. I'm in agreement with you, I'd take the guy in front of everyone but SA and LT. I'd like it more if he was a better receiver, but I don't think Chester will play much more this season than he has the past few (barring injury) and I don't see Boller being talented enough to steal a ton of thunder.

I still think for just this year I'd have to take Holmes over Jamal, and be sure I grab LJ as a handcuff, but I think saying # 4 RB isn't carzy for Jamal. I think people sometimes get too high or too low on someone because of 1 year, and I think some of the so called "experts" are doing that with Jamal here. Especially because he had excuses why he was down last year. So top 5 I would say it is not crazy to say that.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but can't think of much better way to say this - wasn't the passing game about the same in each of the past two years, including Jamal's wonder season?  This is a team, IMO, much like Atlanta, that only needs a semblance of a working passing game to run the ball.  Just a little bit of a threat of the pass and the offensive line and RB can do the rest.  I could be wrong, but I don't think it matters.

They've also upgrade their blocking coming from the WR position with both Mason and Clayton.  I don't think anyone has thought much about that, but I'm looking for a few more 20+ yard TD's this year, which helps if your scoring dictates.  I'm in agreement with you, I'd take the guy in front of everyone but SA and LT.  I'd like it more if he was a better receiver, but I don't think Chester will play much more this season than he has the past few (barring injury) and I don't see Boller being talented enough to steal a ton of thunder.

872025[/snapback]

You can be a smartass, because looking back at my comment, you are right. The passing game has been the same pretty much. What if Boller could actually put up some better numbers though. That would really help out Lewis owners.

If Heap is healthy if Boller could just be okay that should really be enough. With Mason, Clayton, and Heap as weapons Boller just needs to be decent to keep D's honest and not able to stack the line. I have to believe Boller can be decent, but who knows maybe he can't even do that.

You can be a smartass, because looking back at my comment, you are right.  The passing game has been the same pretty much.  What if Boller could actually put up some better numbers though.  That would really help out Lewis owners.

872142[/snapback]

It's like someone posted about Mike Vick: "God help the NFL if Mike Vick ever adds downfield passing to his arsenal of weapons"... If Jamal stays healthy, and Boller turns into the QB that Billick says he's going to be (Chris Redman, anyone?), then that might be the most incredible team in the history of the NFL. With that D, and that running game, if Boller could just get it together to the tune of 3200 yards, 25 TDs and <13 INTs...

I wonder why that team can't come up with a QB? Ozzie and Billick have done an absolutely SPECTACULAR job with nearly all their draft picks, other than QB. I still think Billick's a great coach. A guy known for offense in Minny, he comes to Baltimore, takes a team that appears to be away from his strengths, and still gets a ring. That team's been on the verge of the playoffs a couple other years too. If he could find a QB then folks would talk about him in the same breath as Bellichik, possibly. And no, I'm not a Ravens fan or homer. I think Modell is an absolute turd for what he did to/in Cleveland.

I'll be the contrarian. I just don't understand the Jamal man-love, except for hopes that he puts up another 2,000+ yard season, which I think is highly unlikely.

Consider, if you dare:

Granted, the guy had a monster season in 2003. However, the Bengals and Browns should both have much improved Ds this year, and they also play the Steelers twice, whose D is also arguably better than it was in 2003.

In 2002 and 2004, he had 7 TDs each season -- which is very much a typical season for him, outside 2003.

He is a non-factor in the passing game. Chester Taylor has replaced him for the past two years as the third-down back, and will continue to do so.

The Ravens matched the Browns offer of $3 million for one year to keep Chester Taylor. You don't pay a backup that kinda money without plans to use him not only in the passing game, but in other spells as well.

Chester Taylor actually had a higher yards-per-carry than Jamal last year.

Jamal was suspended in 2001 for a substance abuse violation -- no one knows, but could he be facing a year suspension for getting busted again?

Outside 2003, he's never completed a full 16-game season.

The guy is a talented back, no doubt, but the top 5? No way. I think around 10-12 is a much safer pick for a guy with question marks on a questionable offense who typically doesn't score much and is no factor in the passing game.

Boller will crack the top 10? Put down the bong, club. Course, I think Palmer will crack the top 5, so I have no room to talk, I suppose.

some of your thoughts are stupid,

of course lewis is a top 5 because edge comes no where close to him. Peyton passes way too much for edge to be a top 5 rb. priest and lt are the only ones ahead of jamal

879196[/snapback]

alexander is a stud ... holdout or not ... he aint gonna sit the season

i tend to think that indy is gonna give edge some love this season unless they plan on trying to find a younger back ... i bet they give him some more td opportunities and make him feel wanted a little more and then try to sign him for a few more years. he probably aint gonna be going to miami after this season like he had hoped.

some of your thoughts are stupid,

of course lewis is a top 5 because edge comes no where close to him. Peyton passes way too much for edge to be a top 5 rb. priest and lt are the only ones ahead of jamal

879196[/snapback]

no love for Alexander?

He is a top 3 pick in my opinion but if I were you if there is a way you can trade down, I would trade down to the 7th or 8th pick and still pick him up there.  That gives you a better pick coming back down too.

871427[/snapback]

well there is a problem. more hype is brewing about lewis being good so i dont think you can get him with the 7th pick anymore. trade down to the 5th or 6th pick to be safe.

871481[/snapback]

I like a combination of these thoughts. In fact, I'm sitting at #3 in a draft and would like to do similar with Deuce. I have a hard-on for him this year so I'll still take him at 3 but I'd like to trade down because he'll likely still be there at 6 and he obviously presents more value there.