[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hold Outs

keggerz

I completely agree. Get rid of signing bonuses, set base salaries similar to the minimums now in place and the rest of the salary comes from performance settings that are the same for everyone. You want to earn more money, reach your higher performance level.

I'm so sick of rookies holding out because they want more money and haven't even gone to a practice or camp, let alone proved that they deserve multi-million dollar contracts. This would also prevent guys like TO and Javon from holding out.

I'm sure this is oversimplified, but it's at least a start. Also, it'll never happen.

Performance based salaries seem good on the surface. Imagine all the ass-kissing TO would have to do right now for McNabb to throw to him. "Oh, Donovan, I think you're the greatest QB who ever lived. Will you throw the ball to me a few more times? Daddy needs a new pair of shoes."

:D

I think I've alluded to this idea in every thread about holdouts in the last year. It's a great idea, but under a salary cap, it would be very difficult to implement. A team with a lot of over-performing players could get pushed over the cap at the end of the year.

Plus, it would have significant ramifications on free agency. If contracts were strictly performance-based, players would get the same amount of money no matter which team signed them, so the "bidding" process would be eliminated. You could still allow for signing bonuses or something, but, again, it would make salary cap management very difficult.

It's not a completely impossible notion, though, and I'd be surprised if the topic isn't at least covered in the CBA negotiations. Somebody with brains could find some middle ground and at least put a bigger emphasis on performance incentives.

I would like to see a standard pay scale for all rookies. 

No. 15 this year makes what no. 15 made last year + inflation.

889177[/snapback]

I totally agree with this. This would at least probably eliminate the rookie holdouts. As far as pay for performance, this wouldn't work because the coaches have too much control over who gets the ball, who does what. Football is the ultimate team sport. A wide receiver might catch a TD, but only because 10 other guys were doing their jobs well.

How about ownership stop pandering to the agents first. :D

How about ownership stop pandering to the agents first.  :D

889504[/snapback]

You're right -- the owners should just keep that death grip on all their hundreds of millions. I mean, the owners are who I like anyway. Who needs players? Why can't we just watch the owners count their money on Sundays?

:D

I believe that there is something like this sort of. There is a pool of money that goes back to players - at least the rookies - based on their performance. It is chump change compared to a first round salary, but it is performance based. I think I remember some players getting like $50k or $100k and maybe they were just rookies.

yuup...I've felt this way for awhile...have a pay scale by position for rookies as in QB's make more than RB's and they make more than WR's etc...and go by position what they make...

then adjust by performance...

I mean, most players even say it isn't so much about the money as it is about someone making more than them without being as good...

which I believe......to an extent..

I think this is the next step for the NFL as Rosenhaus gets more players among his clientele...he'll force them into this position..

I believe that there is something like this sort of. There is a pool of money that goes back to players - at least the rookies - based on their performance. It is chump change compared to a first round salary, but it is performance based. I think I remember some players getting like $50k or $100k and maybe they were just rookies.

889537[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm almost positive that's just a rookie thing.

How about ownership stop pandering to the agents first.

This is my thought exactly. I logged onto the huddle this morning with the intent of starting a thread to exactly this effect. Why dont the owners sit down and come to an agreement on a no tolerance rule for hold-outs? Why is Eagles management worried about T.O.? Does his salary still count against the salary cap even if he's sitting at home and not getting paid? If not, let him rot for the next 5 years and recoup his signing bonus.

Drew Rosenhaus is quickly becoming a festering boil on the a$$ of my beloved NFL. Something has to be done.

I think Javon Walker can actually justify a holdout.  Based on last year, no way should he only be making $500,000 this year.  But as for the other holdouts, yes I belive they are unjustified and would like to see them end.

889602[/snapback]

By that logic, Mike Anderson should be paid a ton more than he is now. Because he had one really good year, too.

I think Javon Walker can actually justify a holdout.  Based on last year, no way should he only be making $500,000 this year.  But as for the other holdouts, yes I belive they are unjustified and would like to see them end.

889602[/snapback]

As mentioned in another thread by Captian Hook ... based on his rookie year, he didn't earn his $2-3 million dollar signing bonus plus salary. So when you look at it that way it all evens out. If he would quite whining like a little girl and be a help to the team they would be more than willing to show him the money.

Lets be honest, 99% of us do not understand the game within the game these players, agents, and owners play. Its hard for us sitting here making 40-80k a year to understand a guy who signs a 40 Million dollar contract then whines about it. Hell, most of us would play for alot less than that. I am of the opinion that sports figures should get what the market bears and if they can sign a huge contract, more power to them. But cut through all the crap and the bottomline is greed, and its getting old.

Owens has a multi-year contract that was frontloaded and now he doesnt get paid enough.

Walker has a great season, and his multi-year contract isnt enough.

So why dont these guys just sign one year deals? That gets them off the re-negotiating hook. Right? Oh wait, Edge has a one year deal for 8 million and he's not happy either. He wants a multi-year deal. :D

If owners dont have to honor a players contract, and if alot of these contracts have guaranteed money tied to the end of these deals, I can understand why the players get upset. But that comes down to their agents setting up these deals in such a way that the players may never see that money. If Rosenhaus is telling his clients that due to inflation, performance, yaddayaddayadda, has made their "current" contract not worth the paper its printed on and recommends they hold-out or demand a trade, whose at fault here?

I go back to the one-year deal thing. Now granted, alot of players dont fall into the greed bucket, but those who do.....limit them to one-year deals. Start a new category - Contract Probation - once you hold out, you can no longer sign long-term deals for the rest of your career. Geez, the way some of these guys complain, you'd think they would love that. They can move to where the money is year after year, and as long as they produce, they'll continue to receive top end dollars. Afterall, isn't this what they're wanting???

T.O. is definitely a holdout threat. He does whatever he wants. Says whatever he wants. The more talking the does, the bigger a hole he digs himself. You got yourself a topflight WR who knows he is. He wants to see his name at the top of the payscale every year. T.O. is down to business prob moreso than the GMs are.

Then you got Philly management. Philly doesn't give an inch, they'll let you sit. Philly has been pretty frugile with contracts too, they're smart with their money.

it's like to 2 hard-headed Rams facing off