[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky Williams Press Conference

DMD

Nick Saban - blah blah blah... we look great... happy with everything so far... Ricky Williams has learned a lot about himself and regrets what he did last year... we will support him...he is like every other player having to work his way up... he will improve his conditioning.. we are trying to help him accomplish what he wants to do...I will only talk about from today on and not about the past...

Ricky has worked hard to get where he is now... RW played in the low 220's in college... he is day to day... I did not convince him to come back... he may not be ready for a while... Everyone is accepting of his ability and wants to see his dedication but I have not seen any negative reaction to him.

I am not here to make predictions or answer hypothetical questions.. we are here to give him the opportunity to become an important part of this team... RW is 213 pounds right now.. I do not see any awkwardness about him on this team...

None of the past matters unless you let it in your head and let it matter. Only now and the future matter...

I don't try to figure him out, I try to support him

We have a long time to get to where he wants to be. We will evalutate the future day to day. The Ronnie Brown is not surprising (he is not there). Our focus is on the players that are in camp since we have an early game. There is competition at every position every day.

Right now the intent is not to slot guys but to get them to be the best they can be. I have no time table for deciding on QB, it will work itself out. Ricky looked good in one practice so far and I can see why he has been successful before. I have no expectations for anything, I will just learn as we go and be supportive.

No one in this room can say they have never done anything they regret (about RW last year). We learn from our experiences from the past. Ricky has to work his way up from the bottom and has no problem with that.

We are in a risk taking business and if we end up making the wrong decision, they we still go forward. I have a lot of respect for what he has learned and his moral compass is aiming the right way.

(Saban seems a bit uncomfortable with this for his first press conference knowing what he was going to be asked).

I don't have a crystal ball. (seems sort of more defensive than I thought he would)

AND CUT AWAY

Nothing earthshattering....

RICKY

I made the decision to walk away because there were things in my life I wanted to explore. I effected the team in a negavtive way and I regret that it came off as selfish and I apologize to anyone effected negatively by my decision. (He looks skinny and is starting his dreadlocks again. Scraggly beard). It cannot be easily understood what I did. I decided to return in FEB. I never stopped loving football and I only did not like playing football in the NFL at that time.

I needed to learn about myself, I saw that as an opportunity to do that. I reassured MIA that I am committed to doing this and not be a distraction. We are still a family here and a lot of guys are happy that I am back. I did play here for 2 years. I learned that the best way is to work without an attachment to the result. If I work hard, results will come. It was awkward the first day.

So many things led up to me thinking it was time to go and now so many things point to it being time for me to return. (Refuses to talk about him taking medications now.) Have stopped taking Paxil three years ago. I think people mind's will be made up when they see me on the field. The coaching change has made this easier. I am here to work.

goal is to not let the outside stuff be a distraction. Have to get used to the competitive part of it again. No way anyone could understand me. I cannot even understand myself sometimes. I should be up on all the new terminolgy by the end of the week. I missed the lockerroom. Saban has been very trusting and had a lot to do with me coming back.

I always wanted to be free and I discovered that freedom is only on the inside of you.

The work I did in the last year has put me in a happy place. Committment means surrender to your desires. I have to work my way back up the depth chart and back into shape.

Happiness comes from contentment on the inside.

I am 213 now but I will not play for another 2 months. I will be at the weight I need to be by then.

I do not regret last year and I had an incredible year.

HE LEAVES FOR LUNCH.

Ricky is due to be there in a short bit. I will transcribe that if I can and it will likely be slurred and broken up with him eating an entire loaf of bread from the munchie withdrawals.

Am I mistaken or should this be in the FF Forum? :D

893704[/snapback]

You must be mistakened because it is in the FF forum... now...

I still don't understand why, if he had any thought that he would return, he didn't wait to file his retirement papers after the 4 game suspension last year.

I guess I'd have to be tokin' up on my way to Nepal to truly understand that.

Regardless of how crazy this all appears some nut in everybody's draft will draft Ricky as their #3RB speculating that he will take the starting job after week 5.

Regardless of how crazy this all appears some nut in everybody's draft will draft Ricky as their #3RB speculating that he will take the starting job after week 5.

893918[/snapback]

I'm considering giving up a 14th round pick to keep him in F-OFF.

Also, I just amused myself by scrolling through the RB rankings and when I saw:

Ricky Williams - MIA

it first went through my mind that the MIA was describing his status and not his team.

Ricky Williams - MIA

it first went through my mind that the MIA was describing his status and not his team.

894041[/snapback]

LOL - that's what I was thinking too :D

Ricky Williams - MIA

894041[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm trying to decide the same thing -- 12th rounder for RWilliams or 18th for LSuggs. I guess time will tell. I've got a month.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide the same thing -- 12th rounder for RWilliams or 18th for LSuggs.  I guess time will tell.  I've got a month.

894138[/snapback]

I've got one week.

14th Round for Ricky or 11th round for Michael Clayton.

another angle - Having Ricky may drive down the cost of Ronnie Brown who has less bargaining power. Probably not, but you never know.