[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Remebering Walter Payton

Pope Flick

You have a good point.  I guess I meant that he was a good man in the sense that he was not a trouble maker on or off the field and treated fans with respect.  However, I agree that if the "rumors"  were true that he was a bad husband.  I guess we will never know.

895417[/snapback]

Don't want to take over the celebratory thread...but, I had to type how I feel about him from the information I got from my wife 15 years ago. Never felt the same about the guy since, but it doesn't diminish his athletic accomplishments.

The marriage was very much on the rocks, but got pulled back together when he was diagnosed with his disease.

I'm quite positive that when he died, he made sure everything was forgiven in his world...at least you hope so.

You have a good point.  I guess I meant that he was a good man in the sense that he was not a trouble maker on or off the field and treated fans with respect.  However, I agree that if the "rumors"  were true that he was a bad husband.  I guess we will never know.

895417[/snapback]

I could venture a guess as to how many professional athletes are completely faithful to their wives... and it wouldn't be a large number. I could tell a story about a certain basketball player from the same city that wore #23. Which would be 100% true. :D

Payton, if nothing else, was a tremendous father. As I noted in my previous post, I know his son in a roundabout way, and he's a good kid that surely misses his dad.

Walter is my favorite non-Cowboys NFL player of all time.  The guy had class.

I only wish he'd gotten the TD in the Super Bowl instead of the Fridge.

895440[/snapback]

That decision still haunts Ditka to this day...it always will.

895417[/snapback]

Which, of course, is the problem with rumurs. How hypocritical can you get: "he wasn't a great person because of some information that only I have which makes me better than him." :D

What a tool. Spreading rumors about dead guys. Way to go. :D:D:D

Not only was Payton the greatest halfback ever, but he was a hell of a role model as well.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but my dad played a game of hoops against him and some other players from the '82 or '83 team. The Bears used to play charity basketball games against the faculty of Chicago-area high schools back in the day and my father's school was on their schedule that year. Apparently Walter had more game than the rest of him teammates. I was also told that Bob Avellini was kind of a jerk... took the charity game a bit too seriously for dad's taste.

Which, of course, is the problem with rumurs. How hypocritical can you get: "he wasn't a great person because of some information that only I have which makes me better than him." :D

What a tool. Spreading rumors about dead guys. Way to go. :D  :D  :D

895464[/snapback]

Maybe if you read the post you would have seen that I was not the one spreading "rumors". I was sayiong that he was in fact a good guy (read my original post) and that "rumors" about him were just that , rumors. I was alos saying that even if true, it might make him a bad husband but not a bad person. Try reading before you call out the wrong guy! :D

Edited by BigTen

Walter is my favorite non-Cowboys NFL player of all time.  The guy had class.

I only wish he'd gotten the TD in the Super Bowl instead of the Fridge.

895440[/snapback]

Yer very wise. I've hated Ditka since that day.

Don't want to take over the celebratory thread...but, I had to type how I feel about him from the information I got from my wife 15 years ago. Never felt the same about the guy since, but it doesn't diminish his athletic accomplishments.

The marriage was very much on the rocks, but got pulled back together when he was diagnosed with his disease.

I'm quite positive that when he died, he made sure everything was forgiven in his world...at least you hope so.

895431[/snapback]

My roomate years ago worked at Walters night club in Schaumburg and I can tell you with little fear of spreading non-truth that your wife was dead on with her assessment of the infidelity! Jordan and Payton both liked the ladies and personally that bothers me, but in no way does it diminish thier accomplishments athletically!

Vows are vows. Live them!

I'm of the opinion that any woman who marries a prominent (or even not-so-prominent) athlete either has made a bargain with herself or is seriously deluded.

Doesn't EXCUSE the infidelity, but these days everyone knows the lifestyle.

Not much to add.  The classiest guy to ever carry a pigskin.

897474[/snapback]

I agree. Even when he didn't score in the Super Bowl I thought he dealt with it with class.