[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Remebering Walter Payton

Pope Flick

Walter got his ring the hard way. Stuck with his team when they were bad and was there to get his well deserved ring when they put it all together..Truly a class act. Emmitt Smith said when it go close to him getting the record Walters family celebrated it with him and showed true class..

I actually had lunch with him once. I won the opportunity to sit at a table with him for lunch at a charity event in Chicago for Junior Achievement. It was in the spring of 1985, the year before they won the Superbowl!

I remember asking him about how he thought they were going to do this upcoming season since they had only made it to the NFC Championship the year before.........He told me......"Man, we're plannin on winning it all this year!!"

How prophetic that statement was!! :D

He was a definite class act and seemed very down to earth even though he had to sit at a table with a bunch of High School kids!!!! :D

It's a memory I'll never forget!!!!

How good was Sweetness? Even we Packer fans love the guy (not so much when he was runnin' all over our D back in the day, but nonetheless...) :D

How good was Sweetness? Even we Packer fans love the guy (not so much when he was runnin' all over our D back in the day, but nonetheless...) :D

894490[/snapback]

I liked the guy and respected him more than anyother player of any era. And that's after 260 yard rushing games against the vikes. Right off the top, I'm thinking it's 269.

I liked the guy and respected him more than anyother player of any era.  And that's after 260 yard rushing games against the vikes.  Right off the top, I'm thinking it's 269.

894575[/snapback]

:D 275 yards. A record until Dillon, then J Lewis broke it.

:D

Sweetness was simply incredible. The most incredible mix of speed, quickness, heart, strength and football savvy. There will never be anyone just like him... Being a Bear fan, I am proud to say he was a true Monster of the Midway.

A friend of my cousin knows his son pretty well... he's apparently a pretty classy kid -- probably from having a classy pop.

Nomar Garciaparra and darin3 = July 23

Barry Bonds = July 24

Payton = July 25

That's 3 days' worth of quality individuals :D ... well, maybe not Bonds. :D

Sweetness was simply incredible.  The most incredible mix of speed, quickness, heart, strength and football savvy.  There will never be anyone just like him... Being a Bear fan, I am proud to say he was a true Monster of the Midway. 

A friend of my cousin knows his son pretty well... he's apparently a pretty classy kid -- probably from having a classy pop. 

Nomar Garciaparra and darin3 = July 23

Barry Bonds = July 24

Payton = July 25

That's 3 days' worth of quality individuals :D  ... well, maybe not Bonds.  :D

894713[/snapback]

The fact that you even mentioned Barry Bonds in the same thread as Sweetness means you deserve the following :D:D:D:D . Not only was Walter Payton a good baller he was a good man. Long live the memory of the great Walter Payton :D:D:D:yay:

Fact: he was one of the best all around athletes to play running back ever in the NFL.

Fact: he did anything and everything on the field and kept himself in the best shape possible.

Now, most of you claim he was a great man.....and although true to an extent, the rumors of his infidelity were really kept under wraps from the media, but when Mrs. Thorp was working as a Bar Manager at a local Marriott, I've been told that Sweetness was seen there many times with women other than Mrs. Payton.

So, as a man, with the information I have, he failed to live up to the expectations I hold myself and other husbands to. A great football player, yes...a great man, IMO....no.

The fact that you even mentioned Barry Bonds in the same thread as Sweetness means you deserve the following  :D  :D  :D  :D .   Not only was Walter Payton a good baller he was a good man.  Long live the memory of the great Walter Payton  :D  :D  :D  :yay:

895041[/snapback]

:D Their birthdays were a day apart, blame their parents... :D

Edited by darin3

Fact: he was one of the best all around athletes to play running back ever in the NFL.

Fact: he did anything and everything on the field and kept himself in the best shape possible.

Now, most of you claim he was a great man.....and although true to an extent, the rumors of his infidelity were really kept under wraps from the media, but when Mrs. Thorp was working as a Bar Manager at a local Marriott, I've been told that Sweetness was seen there many times with women other than Mrs. Payton.

So, as a man, with the information I have, he failed to live up to the expectations I hold myself and other husbands to. A great football player, yes...a great man, IMO....no.

895369[/snapback]

You have a good point. I guess I meant that he was a good man in the sense that he was not a trouble maker on or off the field and treated fans with respect. However, I agree that if the "rumors" were true that he was a bad husband. I guess we will never know.