[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alexander signs a one-year

DMD

we'll see! Thats why he wants to be traded?

896851[/snapback]

I agree with Captain that he wont be in Seattle next season. He will be an Unrestricted free agent and Seattle can not franchise him. He will stick it out this year and then test the FA market.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the 'Hawks wanted to sign him to a long term deal, they'd have done it already.  Alexander is upset they won't give him a long term deal, so they compromised.  He signs a one year deal, they agree not to franchise him again next year.  That way he can become a FA.  Looks like you might have to get a new favorite player next year.  Don't be naive.

896854[/snapback]

didnt have the cap room to sign him to a long term deal. Why cant you understand that we couldnt afford that. He is obviously making sure he gets resined and doesnt get traded or franchised tagged so they will resign him next year to a long term deal.

Alexander is a stud. If I get the numbe 1 pick in my draft, I am going to strongly consider drafting him first. He is def gonna be motivated (yes he was for some time now) but I agree with what others are saying: good RB's getting huge paydays is rare now. I'm expecting a huge year out of him.

I think they lose the right to Franchise another player for the life of the contract, which I guess is one year. :D

896487[/snapback]

You are correct in the fact that they lose the Franchise tag for the life of the contract. As Alexander never signed his tender, I don't believe that will have an effect.

Even if it does, the contract is for his year only, so Seattle will have it's tag again next year.

didnt have the cap room to sign him to a long term deal. Why cant you understand that we couldnt afford that. He is obviously making sure he gets resined and doesnt get traded or franchised tagged so they will resign him next year to a long term deal.

896861[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying here but I think you should also realize that with Alexander becoming a unrestricted FA next year that there is also an equal chance that he will sign with another team. Only time will tell what will actually happen.

Personally, I think it stinks for the Hawks. He walks next year and the Hawks get nothing, outside of another disspointing season in which the cry baby posts huge stats? They are not a Superbowl contender so I why not gamble more with the negotiation? If he followed through on his threat and sat the season, let him ruin his own future while the Hawks move on. Kerry Carter can move the chains.

Looking at the glass half full, I suppose it's good for fantasy football :D

we'll see! Thats why he wants to be traded?

896851[/snapback]

:D He probably doesn't want to be traded because then he is assured of not going to a team where he could potentially get stuck at or just traded again or something. He would rather have a "free-out" at the end of the year which means a pretty healthy signing bonus during the off-season when free agent signings begin. :D

896861[/snapback]

But there is a fairly monumental caveat included in the contract: The deal stipulates that the Seahawks cannot designate Alexander a franchise player again at the end of the 2005 season. So unless the two sides reach a deal on an extension, which could be difficult given the acrimony that built up over the spring, Alexander would be an unrestricted free agent next spring and free to leave.

Certainly, some advantage in Tuesday's deal goes to Alexander, who almost certainly will enter the open market after the 2005 season. But even unrestricted tailbacks have found it difficult of late to secure lucrative long-term contracts. The Seahawks will have a year to locate, or develop, a viable replacement to the standout back.

Sounds like to me he is gone after this year.

Edited by THE SIX KINGS

Yet another reason the Hawks may not be in such a hurry to show SA the money next year ... here is the list of RB's posted by Skylive in another thread who are becoming free agents next year ...

RB Shaun Alexander Seahawks 27

RB Darian Barnes Cowboys 25

RB Fred Beasley 49ers 30

RB Michael Bennett Vikings 26

RB Rock Cartwright Redskins 25

RB Jesse Chatman Chargers 25

RB Jameel Cook Buccaneers 26

RB Najeh Davenport Packers 26

RB Domanick Davis Texans 24

RB Ron Dayne Broncos 27

RB Heath Evans Dolphins 26

RB Tony Fisher Packers 25

RB DeShaun Foster Panthers 25

RB Ahman Green Packers 28

RB Lamar Gordon Dolphins 25

RB Verron Haynes Steelers 26

RB William Henderson Packers 34

RB Robert Holcombe Chiefs 29

RB Edgerrin James Colts 26

RB Jeremi Johnson Bengals 24

RB Rudi Johnson Bengals 25

RB Jamal Lewis Ravens 25

RB Deuce McAllister Saints 26

RB Travis Minor Dolphins 25

RB Maurice Morris Seahawks 25

RB Harold Morrow Cardinals 32

RB James Mungro Colts 27

RB Lorenzo Neal Chargers 34

RB Patrick Pass Patriots 27

RB Jon Ritchie Eagles 30

RB Antowain Smith Saints 33

RB Mack Strong Seahawks 33

RB Chester Taylor Ravens 25

RB Anthony Thomas Bears 27

RB Kenny Watson Bengals 27

RB Jonathan Wells Texans 25

RB Brian Westbrook Eagles 25

RB Moe Williams Vikings 30

There is certainly other talent avaliable out there ... not to mention the couple week Denver starter that Shenanigans will probably try to unload at the end of the season.

If you had to choose between SA and say McAllister for almost half as much ... as an owner who would you go with. Seems pretty easy to me. They will have many choices if they stay on the ball. Who is the better runner? ... Should they keep SA? ...

I guess we'll see.

QUOTE(sunysteelfly76 @ 7/27/05 08:50am)

"I didnt think this happened in the NFL. This sounds more like a baseball deal."

all franchise tenders are guaranteed

897176[/snapback]

This wasn't a franchise tender. however, it was a one year deal, and one year deals are guaranteed. after a certain date, the current year's salary is guaranteed, hence one year deals are technically guaranteed.

another way to make a contract guaranteed is to offer it all as a bonus.

He belongs with the Hawks

897887[/snapback]

In today's sports for lots of players, that don't mean squat!

Michael Jordan belonged with the Bulls...

Wayne Gretzky belonged with the Oilers...

Jerry Rice belonged with the 49ers...

etc...

etc...

etc...

And no, I am not saying Alexander has impacted his sport as much as the above ...

But there is a fairly monumental caveat included in the contract: The deal stipulates that the Seahawks cannot designate Alexander a franchise player again at the end of the 2005 season. So unless the two sides reach a deal on an extension, which could be difficult given the acrimony that built up over the spring, Alexander would be an unrestricted free agent next spring and free to leave.

Certainly, some advantage in Tuesday's deal goes to Alexander, who almost certainly will enter the open market after the 2005 season. But even unrestricted tailbacks have found it difficult of late to secure lucrative long-term contracts. The Seahawks will have a year to locate, or develop, a viable replacement to the standout back.

Sounds like to me he is gone after this year.

897238[/snapback]

In order for the Seahawks to coax Alexander into coming to camp, they reached a compromise on the following:

1) They will not slap the same franchise tag on him next season

2) They will negotiate in EARNEST on a long-term contract

3) They will not trade him during the season without his permission

he'll be back. He obviously wants to be.

http://www.seahawks.com/ArDisplay.aspx?ID=5641&SecID=317

He did not sign the tender.  He signed a one year contract.  Re-read the original post. . .

896585[/snapback]

My bad on the interpretation of the $6.32 figure.

I see/hear most observers in these parts (Seattle) think a long-termer is still in the works.

In today's sports for lots of players, that don't mean squat!

897898[/snapback]

Athletes from all generations have been moving around from team to team as hired guns. Today's players aren't any more selfish or financially motivated than their counterparts from earlier generations going back to the beginning of professional sports.

QUOTE(sunysteelfly76 @ 7/27/05 08:50am)

"I didnt think this happened in the NFL.  This sounds more like a baseball deal."

This wasn't a franchise tender.  however, it was a one year deal, and one year deals are guaranteed.  after a certain date, the current year's salary is guaranteed, hence one year deals are technically guaranteed.

another way to make a contract guaranteed is to offer it all as a bonus.

897751[/snapback]

I was just pointing out that football does have some guaranteed deals. The franchise tender is one of them. Obviously, SA would demand that the one year deal he just signed would too. Contracts are guaranteed once you make the final roster cut.

How come I'm always so late to the fun ones!?!?

This is a definite win-win. Its incredible. Shaun will be in camp on friday. Thats absolutely huge. It would have been a horrible omen for the attitude of this team if he would have held out. This move absolutely wreaks of Tim Ruskell. Its a football guy making a big-time football decision.

Essentially, what this does, is gives the Seahawks one-year to find a replacement for Shaun Alexander. If at this time next year, they still can't find a viable replacement, the Hawks will simply find Shaun Alexander's biggest offer....and increase it by two-million dollars. Done. Shaun will go for the biggest contract he is offered next year, even if its from the Seahawks. The Seahawks also believe that his value has a good chance of declining as he turns 28 next season, so he may be cheaper next season than this.

Shaun is going to have a more amazing year this year than any of us thought possible. I just feel really bad to whoever pays him to come play for them next year. They'll quickly find out why everybody is so sick of his act in Seattle.

Shaun is going to have a more amazing year this year than any of us thought possible.  I just feel really bad to whoever pays him to come play for them next year.  They'll quickly find out why everybody is so sick of his act in Seattle.

898349[/snapback]

Soooooo, he's going to have an amazing year, but you are sick of his act?