[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who goes at #4?

kpholmes

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't tell you if you paid me. Well... I guess that is not exactly true...

1461272[/snapback]

:D

Picking number 4, you want a virtual lock to get production...

Portis - oft injurred

Tiki - has been consistent, but aging

Edge - in Az.

Caddy - injury issues last year

Ronnie Brown - Hasn;t carried the load yet

D Davis - Oft Injured

McGahee - In Buffalo

Deuce - ACL + Bush

SJax, KJones, JJones - too many questions

C Taylor - :D

Safest bets for good production IMHO are Rudi Johnson and LaMont Jordan.

Picking number 4, you want a virtual lock to get production...

Portis - oft injurred

Tiki - has been consistent, but aging

Edge - in Az.

Caddy - injury issues last year

Ronnie Brown - Hasn;t carried the load yet

D Davis - Oft Injured

McGahee - In Buffalo

Deuce - ACL + Bush

SJax, KJones, JJones - too many questions

C Taylor - :D

Safest bets for good production IMHO are Rudi Johnson and LaMont Jordan.

1461725[/snapback]

L Jordan - New HQ and QB plus reshuffling of Oline

Rudi - New QB part of the year

Definite questions with all of the above.

L Jordan - New HQ and QB plus reshuffling of Oline

Rudi - New QB part of the year

Definite questions with all of the above.

1461859[/snapback]

Different kind of questions, and that's why I didn't include them. In particular, Cinci will probably be focusing on their running offense a bit more than last year, and Oakland only improved their o-line and made a lateral move at QB.

I also never have liked having Tiki even though he is solid every year. I agree with the notion that his age might have caught up with him. I am glad I have a later pick because after the top three, it is a crapshoot. I would lean towards Jordan because I had him last year and he was solid. I am scared of Rudi because teams will stack the box against him because of the quarterback issues. Portis sounds pretty safe too; I don't think you can buy into the schedule being a huge factor so much.

Portis - oft injurred

1461725[/snapback]

Hmmm :D ....I don't see Portis as oft injured, Caveman_Nick.

695 carries in the last two years & 70 receptions. Add in two play-off games as well, with another 33 carries & 3 receptions. That's 728 carries & 73 receptions, for 801 total touches.

After bulking up from his 205 lb days in Denver, to 212 lbs with the Skins, Portis has missed 1(one) game during that two year time span. He left his skirt in Denver. :D

By comparison, LaMont Jordan, who you identify as a safe bet, has already missed 2(two) games on only 272 carries & 70 receptions, for 342 total touches.

Your other safe bet, Rudi Johnson, is not very involved in the passing game (that role is reserved for Chris Perry) and in all probability, will start the season with Anthony Wright under center for the first few games.

I'll take the oft injured Portis, before either of those two.

Hmmm :D ....I don't see Portis as oft injured, Caveman_Nick.

695 carries in the last two years & 70 receptions. Add in two play-off games as well, with another 33 carries & 3 receptions. That's 728 carries & 73 receptions, for 801 total touches.

After bulking up from his 205 lb days in Denver, to 212 lbs with the Skins, Portis has missed 1(one) game during that two year time span. He left his skirt in Denver. :D

By comparison, LaMont Jordan, who you identify as a safe bet, has already missed 2(two) games on only 272 carries & 70 receptions, for 342 total touches.

Your other safe bet, Rudi Johnson, is not very involved in the passing game (that role is reserved for Chris Perry) and in all probability, will start the season with Anthony Wright under center for the first few games.

I'll take the oft injured Portis, before either of those two.

1462337[/snapback]

:D You are not telling the whole story with that...

Portis only played 13 games in 2003. In 2004, he played 15 games and had 343 carries, but as any redskins fan will tell you he was hurt most of the season and ran for a very ineffective 3.8 YPC that year.

In 2005 he was in good form, but he carried the ball 385 times and was a half a yard off of his 4 year YPC average of 4.7 @ 4.2 YPC. He was near the very top in carries, and for a smaller back that type of abuse will spell potential for breakdown.

Any pick is a gamble, and Portis has the potential to be explosive...but I think those other 2 backs will outperform him. Just MHO

Willie Anderson is gonna be playing his heart out this year for pride and a new contract.

Anthony Wright -- c'mon, the Bengals brought him in to hand off the ball and occassionally throw it as far as he can so CJ can try to run back to get the underthrown ball. But mostly to hand off the ball. Look what happened to Jamal Lewis when Anthony Wright was handing the ball off to him in 2003 -- 2,066 yards rushing. That's a top-notch ball hander-offer, there.

Whenever Palmer comes back, he's gonna take some time to test the knee.

I'm a homer, but I wasn't real high on Rudi last year (mostly because of his lack of production in the passing game), and I love Chris Perry. I see, if anything, the Bengals focusing on ball control more this year and even more two-back sets. I have no reason to believe this, except it's something they've talked about for a while and this seems to be the year to do it. Plus, Perry seems to be pretty fragile. He can't steal a lot from Rudi sitting in the whirlpool. Rudi, by comparison, seems to be built like a tank.

I like Nick's answer. In a receptions league, Jordan. Otherwise, Rudi.

:D  You are not telling the whole story with that...

Portis only played 13 games in 2003.  In 2004, he played 15 games and had 343 carries, but as any redskins fan will tell you he was hurt most of the season and ran for a very ineffective 3.8 YPC that year.

1462474[/snapback]

Of course, you're not telling the whole story here either, are you Caveman_Nick?

For 2003, I'd already mentioned Portis left Shanny holding his skirt back in Denver.

Portis did not play hurt for most of the 2004 season, aside from the usual dinks & doinks all RB's suffer.

It was in Week 15 that Portis was knocked out of the Wash vs Dallas game after the first half and missed the final game of the season going on IR.

2004 was also Gibbs first year back.

Bugel & Gibbs resurrected the old Pulling Guard Blocking scheme from the 80's and did so without the services of the anchor to their O'line, Jon Jansen & a sub par Center in Cory Raymer.

Brunell, on the other hand, was playing injured for the majority of 2004, throwing to another injured player in Coles and good 'ol 50/50.

So running behind a bad O'line utilizing a blocking scheme from the 80's, with an injured QB, injured #1 WR, a 50/50 #2 WR, the D's stacking the box against him, Portis still totaled 1,550 yards from scrimmage and 1,315 of that, was on the ground.

In 2005 he was in good form, but he carried the ball 385 352 times and was a half a yard off of his 4 year YPC average of 4.7 @ 4.2 YPC.  He was near the very top in carries, and for a smaller back that type of abuse will spell potential for breakdown.

1462474[/snapback]

I wonder if Portis' career average, was pumped up running behind Denver's Zone Blocking for two years? :D

Anyway, examining your statement that heavy workloads for smaller backs like Portis, spells potential for break down.

I'll use contemporary like backs for comparison, as Defensive rules have changed and the size / speed of contemporary defensive players, is much greater than those of the past.

First Clinton Portis

Clinton Portis - Age 21 - 5'11" 205 lbs - 270 carries / 306 Total Touches

Clinton Portis - Age 22 - 5'11" 205 lbs - 290 carries / 328 Total Touches

Clinton Portis - Age 23 - 5'11" 212 lbs - 343 carries / 383 Total Touches

Clinton Portis - Age 24 - 5'11" 212 lbs - 352 carries / 382 Total Touches

Now contemporary Backs of comparable size & weight

Edgerrin James - Age 21 - 6' 214lbs - 369 carries / 431 Total Touches

Edgerrin James - Age 22 - 6' 214lbs - 387 carries / 450 Total Touches

Edgerrin James - Age 23 - 6' 214lbs - 151 carries / 175 Total Touches

(Tore his ACL Week 6 - hyper extended his knee stepping over KC defender on sweep play to right)

Edgerrin James - Age 24 - 6' 214lbs - 277 carries / 338 Total Touches

(Returned from ACL injury in less than 12 months :D )

Edgerrin James - Age 25 - 6' 214lbs - 310 carries / 361 Total Touches

Edgerrin James - Age 26 - 6' 214lbs - 334 carries / 385 Total Touches

Edgerrin James - Age 27 - 6' 214lbs - 360 carries / 404 Total Touches

Tiki Barber - Age 27 - 5'10" 200 lbs - 304 carries / 373 Total Touches

Tiki Barber - Age 28 - 5'10" 200 lbs - 278 carries / 347 Total Touches

Tiki Barber - Age 29 - 5'10" 200 lbs - 322 carries / 374 Total Touches

Tiki Barber - Age 30 - 5'10" 200 lbs - 357 carries / 411 Total Touches

Priest Holmes - Age 27 - 5'9" 213 lbs - 327 carries / 389 Total Touches

Priest Holmes - Age 28 - 5'9" 213 lbs - 313 carries / 383 Total Touches

Priest Holmes - Age 29 - 5'9" 213 lbs - 320 carries / 394 Total Touches

Curtis Martin - Age 24 - 5'11" 210 lbs - 369 carries / 412 Total Touches

Curtis Martin - Age 25 - 5'11" 210 lbs - 367 carries / 437 Total Touches

Curtis Martin - Age 26 - 5'11" 210 lbs - 316 carries / 386 Total Touches

Curtis Martin - Age 27 - 5'11" 210 lbs - 333 carries / 386 Total Touches

Curtis Martin - Age 28 - 5'11" 210 lbs - 261 carries / 301 Total Touches

Curtis Martin - Age 29 - 5'11" 210 lbs - 323 carries / 365 Total Touches

Curtis Martin - Age 31 - 5'11" 210 lbs - 371 carries / 412 Total Touches

It seems like your statement that smaller backs with a heavy workloads spells potential for breakdown, was made without doing much research. :D

Any pick is a gamble, and Portis has the potential to be explosive...but I think those other 2 backs will outperform him.  Just MHO

1462474[/snapback]

I'll take the 25 year old RB, who has been a starter for 4 years, now has Al Saunders as his OC, a HC who we know is going to feed him the ball behind a now solid O'line

~ vs ~

A 28 yr old one year starter, who broke down after only 14 games, playing behind a reshuffled O'line this year, Brooks as the QB and with an OC who has been out of NFL coaching for what...10 years?....

Or a 27 year old two year starter, who in all likelihood will have Anthony Wright as his QB for the first few games and is not much of a receiving Back.

Now don't get me wrong. I think LaMont & Rudi are both fine backs, just not in the same class as Portis, nor in as advantageous a situation.

But that's just me & how I see it. I'm wrong more often than not....

....except when I debate DMD on Porter vs Burleson :D

gotta be Portis, esp in keeper leagues.

Once Washington gets someone under 50 to throw the football, they caould actually be potent on offense. With Portis still having 6+ years of his prime left, he is the easy choice here.

If its a redraft league, a toss-up between Portis, Rudi, DD or Edge. I know, I know...just always been a big DD fan...if he can stay healthy, he will put up stats of a #4.

Portis carried the ball 385 times last year.  You forget to count the playoffs.

1462996[/snapback]

Nope, I didn't forget.

When doing the comparison between Portis & like backs, the stats were all pulled from their 16 game regular Player Pages season stats, as covered by NFL.com.

Post season stats are not included on Player Pages, so in no instance were post season stats used.

Look what happened to Jamal Lewis when Anthony Wright was handing the ball off to him in 2003 -- 2,066 yards rushing. That's a top-notch ball hander-offer, there.

1462700[/snapback]

What happened in 2005 when Anthony Wright was handing the ball off to Lewis?

-- 906 yards rushing :doah:

That's a top-notch ball hander-offer, there. :D

WILLIE PARKER!!!!!! .......... NOT! I wish though.

Looks like a complete crapshoot. Wouldn't be surprised to see the first WR or

QB go off the board at that pick. I won't do it though. Just hoping to draw #1-3

or #11-12.