[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

define a newbie

cdj7k

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see two types of newbies - Newbies to the board and newbies to the game of FFLs.

Newbie to the board just means they have not joined in the posting at a forum until recently. Key words are "posting at a forum". You can just read forums like this without every registering. You have to register to post. Some people read for a while before they register and post ( lurking). They may have player in FFLs for years, just never found this site. I do not think how many post you have means a thing. From my 13 years on forums of one type or another, most posters with the large number of post are not the people i'd ask questions of and therefore the number of post a person has means nothing to me. I see too many who post in almost every thread and have yet to make an intelligent one. I've seen a Newbie very first post be quite profound. He may have playered in leagues for years and just found ( or was referred to ) this site yesterday.

Type two is newbie to Fantasy Footbal leagues (FFLs) and forums. Hopefully they are here to learn about both and to have fun. Hopefully they will be treated better than what I see so often. They should be helped not belittled by the large number posters who have never posted anything worthwhile anyway. We would be better off keeping the newbies and getting rid of the Oafs on here.

I do not think time on here means anything, except your been registered here a long time. Some people never progress and are newbies for practical proposes for years. Others learn and I would not call them a newbie after 2 or 3 months.

The thing I don't understand is why newbies get upset at being called newbies. What's the big f'ing deal? When I came to this site, I was called a newb by many of the veterans for a long time. It never bothered me. They were right. Newbies nowadays get all bent out of shape and downright p*ssed off when they're called a newb, which results in additional newbie bashing. It's a vicious circle. :D

And to answer the original question, this is the definition of a newb: http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showuser=77

The thing I don't understand is why newbies get upset at being called newbies. What's the big f'ing deal? When I came to this site, I was called a newb by many of the veterans for a long time. It never bothered me. They were right. Newbies nowadays get all bent out of shape and downright p*ssed off when they're called a newb, which results in additional newbie bashing. It's a vicious circle. :D

And to answer the original question, this is the definition of a newb: http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showuser=77

that will do newbie that will do

see, i am with you. the smack is at least half the fun of FF. i think the problem some have is they can take it in the local because they know those guys, but they get on here and all of a sudden it is all personal when the smack starts rolling. which personal or not, who cares, this is fantasy football we are talking about not something that means anything :D

i think anybody on this board, or any board, should be prepared when they say something stupid, that is how it works. anyone with half a wit will jump on any remark that leaves an opening for sarcasm. no matter who wrote it.

the beauty of locals is the ability to smack talk with each other. the downfall of a local is not all the guys take it competitively enough. so the smack is great , but not all the teams are with it week to week. so you dont always know how good a player you are. now, it seems, when you want to start playing online to get into a better league competitively, you have to earn, at least on this site, the stripes to play. so good fantasy player or not you have to knock around awhile to get known and respected, at least to a small degree before you are going to get invited into leagues. or so it seems to me.

there is a ton i dont study up on enough to know what is up with it. some of it is just not having time to spend on it. that is the great thing about this site. there is tons of info here. so i know even just computer wise i am always going to be behind the curve. and if someone teaches me something i didnt know before through their sarcasm, that is cool, i am not taking it personal. it only gets personal when you bring my teenage daughters or wife into it :D

Guest MustOfBeenDrunk

A noob is just someone who hasn't been around for at least one full season.

i have been a member since 2003 had a candied yams load of post under the screen name tooshea

when i went to renew this year it all got screwed up and i had to crate a new acount so i changed my sreen name to what it is now and to most apprear to be a noob. oh well

I think I've witnessed just about everyone getting called a newbie at one point or another.

ETA: Except for me. Check it Big John.

You know, I dont recall ever being called a newb here either. Sweet.

Maybe we can start a cool gang called the NBCAN gang (Never Been Called A Newb).

......or not

Hey, there I was all proud of my call on Lamont Jordan and shiznit...

...then you go and rain on my parade...even with the :D icon.

I guess a 5 yard overreaction :D is in order, even though I ended my own post with a :D icon.

Truce? :D

Unitl our next debate that is! :D

When I brought that back up at the end of last season, I was more than willing to admit you were correct on quite a few points. Of course, I wasn't exactly way off the mark on some predictions either.

And there's no need to remove a truce to debate you - I LOVE going toe-to-toe with someone who knows his stuff and keeps it civil.

As a matter of fact, I recall getting some props in one of those threads because we didn't descend into calling each other momotards despite a spirited debate.

When I brought that back up at the end of last season, I was more than willing to admit you were correct on quite a few all points.

Now now, let's not get that whole mess started again. :D

...but just as a quick example, you seemed to think Moss and Porter would match the production of the Rams' Ellard and Anderson back in the salad days. Not quite.

You also seemed to think Norv Turner as OC results in boffo WR production - again, nice yardage for the two, but the tds just weren't there.

...but just as a quick example, you seemed to think Moss and Porter would match the production of the Rams' Ellard and Anderson back in the salad days. Not quite.

:D

No Chavez,

Go back and re-read the thread.

Nowhere did I predict/think or say Moss & Porter would match Ellard & Anderson in production. Nor was it why I brought up Norv's time as their WR Coach.

Everybody & their brother only wanted to see Norv as a pound the ball with the RB type Coach.

I used Turner's time as the Rams WR Coach to point out that Turner had in the past, aside from his stint as the Skins HC, produced a pair of 1,000 yd WR's.

My opinion was that with talent at WR Norv had in Oakland, I expected Norv to have another pair of 1,000 yard WR's in Moss & Porter.

While yourself and just about everybody else were busy poo poo'ing me and saying Norv had a 20 year history of pounding the rock and it wouldn't happen, I missed the projection of Norv having a 3rd pair of 1,000 yard WR's by a whopping 58 yards.

You also seemed to think Norv Turner as OC results in boffo WR production - again, nice yardage for the two, but the tds just weren't there.

Nope, I never said that either.

I said that Norv, as the OC, worked with talent at hand and put together a game plan that fit the pieces the Head Coach had assembled and mirrored the offensive direction the Head Coach wanted to go.

IE: In Dallas, Jimmy Johnson wanted a ball control offense and built the team that way. Norv as the OC simply executed his Head Coache's master plan.

Same in Miami with Wannstedt as the Head Coach.

But just as an FYI for you,

The 2005 Raiders had the 6th most Passing attempts in the entire NFL.

The 2005 Raiders had the 31st most Rushing attempts in the entire NFL.

And for whatever it's worth, of the Raiders 32 total TD's, only 11 came via the ground.

Big Score1

Again, this is the first time in Norv's entire Coaching career that he's had this talented a group of WR's.

:D I guess you thought that Moss/Porter being more talented than Ellard/Anderson was going to result in lesser production despite the advent of rules freeing up the passing game in the interim.

Accepted if not understood.