[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kiper's Initial Mock Draft

THE SIX KINGS

Speaking as a Ravens and Notre Dame fan, not even CLOSE to being valid. I wouldn't let Boller captain my flag team.

Yeah, sure, NOW. But I was banging this same drum for Boller his whole senior year at Cal. They played at MSU that year, and I got a nice long look at a guy with droolworthy clipboard-holding potential. I was stunned when Ozzie Newsome fell for the shorts-n'-tee-shirt skills . . .

Peace

policy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sure, NOW. But I was banging this same drum for Boller his whole senior year at Cal. They played at MSU that year, and I got a nice long look at a guy with droolworthy clipboard-holding potential. I was stunned when Ozzie Newsome fell for the shorts-n'-tee-shirt skills . . .

Peace

policy

I thought Boller was a terrible pick from the get-go...he had ONE good year. ONE. The Ravens panicked once Leftwich went off the board, that's how we got stuck with Boller. Incredibly poor decision.

I don't know if Quinn will be the second coming, but he's no Boller.

Maybe because us Midwesterners have watched him play for four years? He's all show, no go. Kyle Boller without the arm.

. . . okay, maybe not THAT bad, but close.

Peace

policy

midwesterner or not...im a new englander...been a diehard nd fan since birth...watched just about every game brady quinn played, save for maybe 3 or 4, and i just dont get the hate

I thought Boller was a terrible pick from the get-go...he had ONE good year. ONE. The Ravens panicked once Leftwich went off the board, that's how we got stuck with Boller. Incredibly poor decision.

Well . . . for four years Quinn has put up huge numbers against the Armies and Navies of the world, and choked hardcore against all legitimate competition. He has a long track record of being great when it doesn't matter, and very iffy when it does. Whether you think that means his greatness is entirely smoke and mirrors, or he's great but chokes in tough situations, I think it's irrefutable evidence that he doesn't have what it takes to be a franchise QB at the next level.

Peace

policy

Well . . . for four years Quinn has put up huge numbers against the Armies and Navies of the world, and choked hardcore against all legitimate competition. He has a long track record of being great when it doesn't matter, and very iffy when it does. Whether you think that means his greatness is entirely smoke and mirrors, or he's great but chokes in tough situations, I think it's irrefutable evidence that he doesn't have what it takes to be a franchise QB at the next level.

Peace

policy

The teams he TRULY struggled against were the elites such as Ohio State and Michigan, teams that were clearly superior to Notre Dame.

Every GOOD college QB encounters those types of "stat padding" teams...remember some of the numbers Leinart put up against some of the girl-scout like defenses in the PAC-10?

SO, I guess only guys that have perfect games against THE BEST teams make for franchise type QBs? That's a mighty short list :D

Peace

policy

i dont think many people take into account the difference in the overall talent levels between ND and the top teams theyve played in the last 2 years....nds overall talent level doesnt even come close to that of usc, lsu, and ohio state.....quinn was still there with ty willinghams guys....not completely void of talent....but just not enough overall speed to compete with the big boys....his strength...his athleticism...his pedigree...everthing screams franchise qb....but all these people wanna drop him down because he never beat a top ranked team in two years

The Bears haven't addressed the TE position for a while and I see this year as no exception. Desmond Clark has shown he can play if you get the ball to him. The offensive line is the real issue with this team and it is getting old. I wouldn't be surprised if Angelo trades down for more picks and uses his picks to focus in on OL, DB (a Mike Brown replacement) and LB (a possible Lance Briggs replacement). This will be another draft that after it happens, us Bears fans will be scratching out heads.

The Bears haven't addressed the TE position for a while and I see this year as no exception. Desmond Clark has shown he can play if you get the ball to him. The offensive line is the real issue with this team and it is getting old. I wouldn't be surprised if Angelo trades down for more picks and uses his picks to focus in on OL, DB (a Mike Brown replacement) and LB (a possible Lance Briggs replacement). This will be another draft that after it happens, us Bears fans will be scratching out heads.

Huh?

Edit:

I was a little surprised they didn't go TE last year, but they weren't getting one of the "big name" TEs last year, so I guess they just thought Clark would suffice... which he did - and then some, IMO.

Let's look at 2006.

Manning - A bit of a stretch but the kid has helped out, especially with the bumps and bruises (and worse) in the secondary

Hester - Do I need to comment? Alright. I thought it may have been a stretch - to fill a very (seemingly) unimportant void, but wow.

Dvoracek - Jury is still out, obviously.

Williams - Don't go pining for that Briggs replacement in the '07 draft just yet.

Anderson - Stud.

Runnels/Reed - See Dvoracek

How about 2005?

Benson - Hmm... :D

Bradley - Hmmmmm... :bash:

Orton - OK, a bit of a stretch, but the kid gave it his all and got us through some difficult times, no?

Currie - ?

Chris Harris - Has had his moments, especially this year w/ secondary injuries

Wilson - ?

How about 2004?

Tommie Harris - Hmmm... :clap:

Terry Johnson - Eh.

Berrian - Hmm.. :tup:

Vasher - Hmm... :doh:

Rest - Eh.

---

So, there's 3 years' worth of pretty solid drafts, IMO. What are you getting at? :D

Edited by darin3

Huh?

Edit:

I was a little surprised they didn't go TE last year, but they weren't getting one of the "big name" TEs last year, so I guess they just thought Clark would suffice... which he did - and then some, IMO.

Let's look at 2006.

Manning - A bit of a stretch but the kid has helped out, especially with the bumps and bruises (and worse) in the secondary

Hester - Do I need to comment? Alright. I thought it may have been a stretch - to fill a very (seemingly) unimportant void, but wow.

Dvoracek - Jury is still out, obviously.

Williams - Don't go pining for that Briggs replacement in the '07 draft just yet.

Anderson - Stud.

Runnels/Reed - See Dvoracek

How about 2005?

Benson - Hmm... :D

Bradley - Hmmmmm... :bash:

Orton - OK, a bit of a stretch, but the kid gave it his all and got us through some difficult times, no?

Currie - ?

Chris Harris - Has had his moments, especially this year w/ secondary injuries

Wilson - ?

How about 2004?

Tommie Harris - Hmmm... :clap:

Terry Johnson - Eh.

Berrian - Hmm.. :tup:

Vasher - Hmm... :doh:

Rest - Eh.

---

So, there's 3 years' worth of pretty solid drafts, IMO. What are you getting at? :D

I got misunderstood. Right after the last draft happened, no one knew who Danieal Manning was. And drafting Devin Hester some questioned. People didn't understand why he moved down. Obviously NOW looking back, it was a great draft. I'm saying that JA will draft a couple of unknown guys that at the time will be a head scratcher but later will come up big. I have come to trust JA and his scouting department. They have done a FANTASTIC job, especially by finding later round values such as Briggs and Anderson.

Edited by Goopster24

:D With the success of their "steals" - namely Colston, but in a way, Henderson too - why would they spend a high pick on another young WR? Terrence Copper - or someone in FA - would make a fine 3rd WR. The Saints' needs are certainly on D, and especially in the defensive backfield.

Agree 100%. However, I can't envision a world where the Saints would pass on both Willis & Puz to fill the CB role. In a perfect world I envision them getting a CB in FA (Samuel) and taking one of the two LBs in the first round & following with another CB in the 2nd.

Agree 100%. However, I can't envision a world where the Saints would pass on both Willis & Puz to fill the CB role. In a perfect world I envision them getting a CB in FA (Samuel) and taking one of the two LBs in the first round & following with another CB in the 2nd.

Do you think the Saints will spend that much money on a guy like Samuel? That would be huge....

Do you think the Saints will spend that much money on a guy like Samuel? That would be huge....

That will all depend on the new contracts they will have to dish out this year, but considering that the big play was our achilles heel this year I could see it happening for a young player of his caliber.

Edit: Getting Roman Harper back & putting Samuel opposite McKenzie would make a HUGE difference in our secondary.

Edited by rajncajn

I got misunderstood. Right after the last draft happened, no one knew who Danieal Manning was. And drafting Devin Hester some questioned. People didn't understand why he moved down. Obviously NOW looking back, it was a great draft. I'm saying that JA will draft a couple of unknown guys that at the time will be a head scratcher but later will come up big. I have come to trust JA and his scouting department. They have done a FANTASTIC job, especially by finding later round values such as Briggs and Anderson.

Alright. OK, I agree to a point. Manning's combine was superb, and he was certainly NOT an unknown as you allude to. But yes, both he and Hester were mild reaches. But they worked out.

The good ones ALWAYS draft some "unknowns". And many times, they work out.

Fortunately, they're in a good position - obviously, being in the Super Bowl and all - this season. Hence, they'll have less holes to fill (hopefully, Briggs, for example, will be re-signed). They can make some bigger gambles, and they may just pay off.

Go Bears! :D

I could see that happening. If you do land Hughes, though, you will love him. Trust me.

MOCK DRAFT: Mel Kiper's Initial First-Round Projection | Jan. 25

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle): *Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

28. New England Patriots: *Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio St.

That will be a pretty good first round for NE. If Revis is as good as I think that he will be, he will have been an absolute steal (NE having given up the incredibly overated Deion Branch for the pick.)

That will all depend on the new contracts they will have to dish out this year, but considering that the big play was our achilles heel this year I could see it happening for a young player of his caliber.

Edit: Getting Roman Harper back & putting Samuel opposite McKenzie would make a HUGE difference in our secondary.

That it would. Roman and Bullocks will be there a long time too.

midwesterner or not...im a new englander...been a diehard nd fan since birth...watched just about every game brady quinn played, save for maybe 3 or 4, and i just dont get the hate

wouldn't say hate, but we've got so many holes to fill that if we go QB first, it'd be a mistake. Our O-Line would ruin another QBs career. Branch or Russel if he's there. Branch to really shore up the 3-4 and would be great see him grow and mature along with D'Quell Jackson and Wimbley.

Edited by loaf

Agree with the already stated; Marshawn to GB would be an awsome fit. He would step right into being their feature back and carrying the load for whoever is at QB next season.

Also, Damien Hughes to the Saints... An awsome first round choice for NO. He is arguably the best CB in the draft this year. For the first 3/4 of the season he was averaging a pick every game, and Sega! down some good recievers. Put him in the Saints hurting defensive backfield, and he'll make some plays.

And drafting Devin Hester some questioned.

Obviously, Hester has been a huge piece of the puzzle for the Bears' this year.

I think the main issue was that for all his brilliance as a return man, Hester was a liability from scrimmage at Miami and remains one in Chicago - will he ever contribute as an everyday player?

That will be a pretty good first round for NE. If Revis is as good as I think that he will be, he will have been an absolute steal (NE having given up the incredibly overated Deion Branch for the pick.)

Gonzalez might turn out to be the 2nd-best WR in the draft as well - he's a bright and motivated kid who has eye-popping physical ability, something that gets lost due to the people he played with at OSU.

I think the main issue was that for all his brilliance as a return man, Hester was a liability from scrimmage at Miami and remains one in Chicago - will he ever contribute as an everyday player?

He has a ton of natural ability and is as fast as the wind, but needs a ton of coaching if he is ever going to be an everydown type guy.

I'm glad I read the thread because I was about to post something similar. Any TE would probably be a backup to Clark, who is very good when given the chance. I'd go O-line first.

I was baffled by last year's draft but it turned out pretty good.

I'm glad I read the thread because I was about to post something similar. Any TE would probably be a backup to Clark, who is very good when given the chance. I'd go O-line first.

I was baffled by last year's draft but it turned out pretty good.

Exactly. That's how many Bears fans felt.

Regarding Hester, he is still VERY raw. He got away with stuff in college because he was such a better athlete than everyone else basically. I think he can develop into a nice cornerback, a nickel back or number two CB at best. And I would be VERY happy with that.

The Ravens deserved it for botching the trade with the Vikings and making Minnesota look the fool when it was their fault. Karma sucks, eh Ozzy? :D