[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers set for struggle in '07?

McBoog

I am very concerned about the Chargers next year. You don’t lose FOUR important coaches to a staff, both coordinators, and generally flow right into the next season. Martyball may return and I don’t see LT being hurt much, but I see this off-season as starting off very poorly already for the Chargers.

Losing both coordinatiors, whom I believe were the real coaching influences on this team, is devestating. The heir to the D became the D coordinator for the 9ers and Cameron took his Offense to the Phins.

Shotty has talked about keeping the same systems, but that is squat if you don't have anyone that knows how to run them.

There is talk that the ASSISTANT LB coach, Pagano, may take over for Wade, but that is going deep to the bench for a coordinator.

The other concern is that most of these coaches are going to be on one year contracts since it is close to %100 sure that Marty does not return in '08.

All of this, plus the devestating loss to the Pats could play heavily on the players minds next season. These types of distractions on such a widescale level is the recipe for disaster.

I hope I am wrong, but I think the Chargers off-season has started off VERY poorly already.

I think it was very short sighted of the team to not let Marty go this year and promote one of the two coordinators to the HC job. He((, two other teams with Superbowl championships felt these guys were good enough to coach their teams.

If Marty IS able to keep it all together next season, I will have a very different level of respect for the guy. But as of now, I see him more like a cheerleader that surrounds himself with guys smarter than he is.

I guess only '08 will tell :D

I'm not thrilled about what's transpired either, but remember, Marty, along with JB and AJ, turned this thing around. He brought in the right assistant coaches and you gotta have faith he can do it again. Marty's been successful at making his teams into contenders (unless he's been sabotaged by the owner in Washington).

I knew his history when he came to SD. I always thought that we should keep him until things got going in the right direction. I think AJ has the same idea at this point.

AJ's got him on a one-year deal and he'll be scouting for a replacement if things don't go well this coming year....and by that i mean at least getting to the AFC Championship game or SB.

The Chargers will probably be worse record wise because their schedule will be tougher.but I think overall they will be a better team. the playoffs only give you experience and the loss if anything put a chip on their shoulder going into next year.

If I am a Charger fan I am feeling good about going into next year.

14-2 next year? No way.

Good enough record to make the playoffs? Yep.

Home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Doubtful.

Can they get to the SB? Yep, but it'll be a tougher road than last season.

The Chargers will probably be worse record wise because their schedule will be tougher.but I think overall they will be a better team. the playoffs only give you experience and the loss if anything put a chip on their shoulder going into next year.

If I am a Charger fan I am feeling good about going into next year.

The players may have a chip on their shoulder(s), but will they have the right coaches/coordinators in place with the same gameplans next year? Loosing both coordinators is tough to swallow. Not saying they cant overcome it, but already being labeled as the favorites to run the table next year is a VERY tall task!!

If Marty IS able to keep it all together next season, I will have a very different level of respect for the guy. But as of now, I see him more like a cheerleader that surrounds himself with guys smarter than he is.

I guess only '08 will tell :D

The best news you can receive at this point is the fact that glaring holes on the sidelines are the easiest ones to mask/fill. The Chargers are loaded all over the field with youth and talent. Same cannot be said for any other team in the AFC West. Denver is young, but hasn't many gaps to fill before getting to the Chargers level, the Chiefs are old, and USC is the 3rd best pro team in California, not the Raiders.

After the first few weeks of this last season, Marty seemed to really get away from the tired old cliched marty-ball IMO. He publicy supported his coaches and basically said he was allowing them to do the jobs that they were hired to do instead of micro-managing every last detail. Now he has to bring on new coahes and start over with the trust factor. But he is picking the people he wants for those positions, so maybe this next season will be more of the same. I'm not as pessimistic for the Chargers... I think they've got a good thing going and will be able to build on it for good stretch now. I see 10+ wins and playoffs for sure. And as the last couple of years have shown, once you're in the playoffs, anyone can get to the Superbowl.

I disagree, I see the Charges posting 10+ wins easily, they are a very talented team, rivers can only get better, they know how close they were this year and how they let it slip away.

It won't happen next year.

Totally agree here. Tomlinson will turn, what, 28 next year? He's still young, Rivers is getting better, and this team is hungry for a Super Bowl appearance. It'll be difficult for Tomlinson to post similar stats, but this team should probably go 12 - 4, maybe 11 - 5 at worst.

As long as Marty is the coach the Chargers should continue to do well in the regular season and wash out in the playoffs.

:bash:

:D

As long as Marty is the coach the Chargers should continue to do well in the regular season and wash out in the playoffs.

Grits,

Did you make a phone call the other day?

Edited by max

It's nice to see some of you SD homers coming back down to reality. Hopefully we won’t have to read any of that Chargers are the best team in the NFL/AFC garbage next year.

...not only will you get more of that this coming year, but now you'll get to read and hear all about us during the offseason too. enjoy! :D