[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good Eats-please share

Sugar Magnolia

My favorite dish at home lately has been throwing some frozen (boneless skinless) chicken breasts into the croc pot, with a few cans of chicken broth, and a packet of dried italian dressing mix... we let it cook all day, then serve it over egg noodles (pouring some of the cooking juices over the noodles as well), and then topping the whole thing off with some grated parmesian. The ckicken gets so amazingly tender and flavorful in the croc pot! I've been enjoying it with a chilled Pinot Grigio.

My wife for Valentine's day cooked a delicious buttermilk battered chicken. I don't have the exact recipie, but it's pretty close to this one. Probably not the most healthy, but yummy none-the-less.

The other really simple dish I love lately is taking a pound of macaroni's and cook it. Drain, add a pound or so of cooked, diced ham. Add in a cup or so of sour cream and a pound (or more to taste) of mozzarella cheese. Toss everything into a oven safe casserole dish and bake for about 15 minutes @ 350 degrees to melt the cheese. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese after removing it from the oven.

last night I sauteed some shallots, leeks, garlic, chopped hot peppers, and grape tomatoes in EVOO. When the shallots and garlic were carmelized, I put it aside, cooked up some bay scallops, and then tossed it all together.

Simple, spicy, yummy and 100% healthful (so long as you don't saute at too high of a setting and break down the EVOO)

When this forum first opened, I posted this recipe. It's still my favorite dish, and the one I get the most requests for, but it's a cholesterol nightmare.

Stuffed Italian sausage bread

Pepperoni

Salami

Italian suasage (bulk, 1-1 1/2lb)- you can buy it in links, and just remove the meat from the casing

Progresso or Victoria "Pepper salad", which comes in a jar at the market.

1lb Mozzerella (make it 2lbs if you love Mozz)

Italian salad dressing

Poppy seeds

Buy frozen bread dough (not pizza dough), using plenty of flour, put it on a large flat piece of saran wrap, and cover with another piece while it defrosts. The flour will prevent it from sticking to the plastic wrap and the plastic wrap prevents the dough from forming a crust.

Fry a pound of Italian sausage up, being sure not to over cook. Spread the pepperoni and salami out on a cookie sheet, and heat at 150 or slightly less, in the oven to leach the fat out, but not to the point it gets dried out or crispy. Use paper towels to soak up excess fat.

Roll out the bread dough to a roughly 22X18" rectangle, doing your best to keep it thicker in the center of the dough, and thinner at the edges. Once rolled out, place the dough on a suitable (large) carving board. Put down a layer of the pepperoni, leaving a good 3 to 4" border of the dough uncovered. Put down a thin layer of Mozzerella to cover the pepperoni. Add a layer (the whole bottle) of the pepper salad on top of that. Layer the salami next. use the rest of the mozzerella to cover the salami. Add the sausage as the top layer.

Now pull in the dough over the top from the edges. Pinch it so that only dough can bee seen, no ingredients. Take a baking pan and place it over the entire stuffed bread. Pick up the carving board, and as quickly as possible, flip the whole thing upside down so the bread is now in the baking pan.

Place in a preheated oven at 350. As soon as the bread rises (maybe a half hour or so), remove it from the oven. Brush on the Italian salad dressing generously, and sprinkle the top with poppy seeds. Place back in the oven until the bread turns a nice golden brown. The dressing allows the poppy seeds to stick, and is what makes the bread brown, as well as adding a lot of flavor.

Serve hot. Cut bread in width-wide 2" slices. Cold salads go nicely with this.

The first time I ever brought this to a pot luck football party, my friends refused to believe I had cooked it. They thought I had driven into Brooklyn and found some Italian specialty shop and bought it. It's that good. That pepper salad I mentioned is mostly a sweet pepper salad, with a few pepperoncini's in there... I tend to add more pepperoncini's to my stuffed breads for some mild, but additional spiciness. You can also modify this with whatever types of salami you might like (or use soppressata) and use either a hot style of pepperoni and Italian sausage, depending on taste.

It takes a little time, but it's a memorable dish. Most of my firends make it at least several times a year, especially around holidays like Christmas and the Supe. As far as I know, no Huddlers have tried this recipe since I posted it, but it's well worth the effort. It reheats pretty well, and travels well with a reheat for several hours. Feeds about 8 hungry people when served with side dishes. Cost about 40 to 45 dollars.

A Beer Harvest Stew, it's got sweet taters, parsnips, pork loin chops ya cut into cubes plus some other good chit in there, I'd have to scope the recipe again, made it for Mrs. PD last week-the stock/broth was good :D

Edited by PantherDave

When this forum first opened, I posted this recipe. It's still my favorite dish, and the one I get the most requests for, but it's a cholesterol nightmare.

Stuffed Italian sausage bread

Pepperoni

Salami

Italian suasage (bulk, 1-1 1/2lb)- you can buy it in links, and just remove the meat from the casing

Progresso or Victoria "Pepper salad", which comes in a jar at the market.

1lb Mozzerella (make it 2lbs if you love Mozz)

Italian salad dressing

Poppy seeds

Buy frozen bread dough (not pizza dough), using plenty of flour, put it on a large flat piece of saran wrap, and cover with another piece while it defrosts. The flour will prevent it from sticking to the plastic wrap and the plastic wrap prevents the dough from forming a crust.

Fry a pound of Italian sausage up, being sure not to over cook. Spread the pepperoni and salami out on a cookie sheet, and heat at 150 or slightly less, in the oven to leach the fat out, but not to the point it gets dried out or crispy. Use paper towels to soak up excess fat.

Roll out the bread dough to a roughly 22X18" rectangle, doing your best to keep it thicker in the center of the dough, and thinner at the edges. Once rolled out, place the dough on a suitable (large) carving board. Put down a layer of the pepperoni, leaving a good 3 to 4" border of the dough uncovered. Put down a thin layer of Mozzerella to cover the pepperoni. Add a layer (the whole bottle) of the pepper salad on top of that. Layer the salami next. use the rest of the mozzerella to cover the salami. Add the sausage as the top layer.

Now pull in the dough over the top from the edges. Pinch it so that only dough can bee seen, no ingredients. Take a baking pan and place it over the entire stuffed bread. Pick up the carving board, and as quickly as possible, flip the whole thing upside down so the bread is now in the baking pan.

Place in a preheated oven at 350. As soon as the bread rises (maybe a half hour or so), remove it from the oven. Brush on the Italian salad dressing generously, and sprinkle the top with poppy seeds. Place back in the oven until the bread turns a nice golden brown. The dressing allows the poppy seeds to stick, and is what makes the bread brown, as well as adding a lot of flavor.

Serve hot. Cut bread in width-wide 2" slices. Cold salads go nicely with this.

The first time I ever brought this to a pot luck football party, my friends refused to believe I had cooked it. They thought I had driven into Brooklyn and found some Italian specialty shop and bought it. It's that good. That pepper salad I mentioned is mostly a sweet pepper salad, with a few pepperoncini's in there... I tend to add more pepperoncini's to my stuffed breads for some mild, but additional spiciness. You can also modify this with whatever types of salami you might like (or use soppressata) and use either a hot style of pepperoni and Italian sausage, depending on taste.

It takes a little time, but it's a memorable dish. Most of my firends make it at least several times a year, especially around holidays like Christmas and the Supe. As far as I know, no Huddlers have tried this recipe since I posted it, but it's well worth the effort. It reheats pretty well, and travels well with a reheat for several hours. Feeds about 8 hungry people when served with side dishes. Cost about 40 to 45 dollars.

Drool... :D I have to do this one. Cholesterol gods be damned!! Sounds waaay good Rovers.

Edited by Front Row

• 2 weeks later...

A Beer Harvest Stew, it's got sweet taters, parsnips, pork loin chops ya cut into cubes plus some other good chit in there, I'd have to scope the recipe again, made it for Mrs. PD last week-the stock/broth was good :D

PD, could you please post the recipe for this when you get a chance? TIA :D

I know this will sound weird but I'm a lousy cook unless it's on the grill.

Tin foil up a trout or jackfish with gobs of butter, onions and whatever you like and throw it on the top rack in your BBQ.

Normally, I like to eat baby potatoes and carrots with fish but we were out of potatoes (wife visiting cousin) so I figured I'd mix the fish into a cream sauce and have pasta. But unfortunately there wasn't any jars of sauce in the pantry (and going from scratch wasn't an option). So I made KD and mixed in the fish.

It sounds gross and looks kinda weird, but it was so good.

I asked for this in December and someone provided the link to your recipe. I have made it twice and it is an instant classic in my family. Sorry I haven't posted the results, but this one is great.

... 'course I took all the credit when the kids starting piling it down. :D

I asked for this in December and someone provided the link to your recipe. I have made it twice and it is an instant classic in my family. Sorry I haven't posted the results, but this one is great.

I'm guilty of that too, I get busy and forget to post comments on recipes that I've pulled off of this site.

GREAT! Glad you enjoyed it. yeah, it's that kind of a recipe.... make it once, and people will ask you to make it again. I took an original of this recipe, and added stuff. The original recipe was just pepperoni, pepper salad and mozz. That version is pretty good too, but serves better as an appetizer than a meal. :D