[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

where would u rank randy moss?

eagle4life

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that he's on a winning team and wants to play.

I dont rank him anywhere for the reason you stated in the question,but I cant deny he may have been the best if he had loved the game more.

Edited by xtra

He may have more natural born talent than anyone we have ever seen at the position. It truly is a shame he hasn't done even more than he already has. A Super Bowl would be huge. A Super Bowl MVP could put him in the conversation for top two all-time. I kind of think of him like Griffey. They have so much natural talent and both basically missed three years of their prime, it is almost impossible to look at them and rank them against others that may have similar or better stats. Whenever I am asked where I would rank Griffey all-time, or Moss for that matter, my thoughts are simply "what if". Hall of Famers with a "what if" asterisk.

He may have more natural born talent than anyone we have ever seen at the position. It truly is a shame he hasn't done even more than he already has. A Super Bowl would be huge. A Super Bowl MVP could put him in the conversation for top two all-time. I kind of think of him like Griffey. They have so much natural talent and both basically missed three years of their prime, it is almost impossible to look at them and rank them against others that may have similar or better stats. Whenever I am asked where I would rank Griffey all-time, or Moss for that matter, my thoughts are simply "what if". Hall of Famers with a "what if" asterisk.

Griffey missed his due to injury,Moss missed his because he was a baby who wanted to take his ball and go home when things got tough.Not sure the comparison is fair to Jr.

Another few years close to this one and he's top 5 IMO. We're judging talent and performance and not attitude here I assume.

My opinion,If he wins a super bowl and gets the mvp all in one season,He definitely tops my top 3.I just don't like the comment he made when he was with the raiders "I PLAY WHEN I FEEL LIKE PLAYING". Lost some respect for him when i heard that.

all i know, is ALL the nay sayers will not be so judgmental on Randy if he does this for another 4-7 years. Take away his 2 years on the worst team in pretty much all of NFL history and you got a great player putting up incredible numbers (challenged only by the GOAT, Mr. Rice) and changing games and destroying defenses with freakish athleticism. He go the nickname "Freak" for a reason, and those terrible 2 years in OAK under Art Shell are the only black mark, besides being an ass. And there's alot of all time greats that were asses. Or druggies, or murderers or gamblers, etc etc.

2-5 somewhere in there. but i don't know who I'd but in front of him.

For all you anti-moss guys, because he had a bad attitude w/o the work ethic of Jerry Rice. Let's remember that their situations are not even close. Jerry showed up on a dynasty team. Great Leaders where all around him, he learned from the best. Including Coaches.

After Chris Carter (who Randy worked extremely hard with) he was surrounded by scrubs (proven by how far they fell after he left) Then traded to a team that was junk the first year he was there, then made itself even worse the following year.

If Randy works hard and does all the supposed "right things" his reward more of the same.

In today's NFL his only way out. tanking! Which got him out into a situation where he could control where he went. results right back on top of the WR rankings.

For all you anti-moss guys, because he had a bad attitude w/o the work ethic of Jerry Rice. Let's remember that their situations are not even close. Jerry showed up on a dynasty team. Great Leaders where all around him, he learned from the best. Including Coaches.

Really?

When Jerry Rice showed up in 1985, yes... they were coming off a huge 15-1 1984 season. But for 3 of the next 4 years, they didn't do better than 10-5-1. THEN, once Rice started putting up monster numbers, they became the dynasty we all know. Yes, great leaders (Walsh/Montana mainly) were around him. But so what?

In 1998, the Vikes were coming off a 9-7 1997 season, but then went 15-1. Moss had a well-respected coach (Green), well-respected QB (Cunningham) and vastly under-rated and very well-respected RB (Smith).

I don't see what your point is. :D

all i know, is ALL the nay sayers will not be so judgmental on Randy if he does this for another 4-7 years. Take away his 2 years on the worst team in pretty much all of NFL history and you got a great player putting up incredible numbers (challenged only by the GOAT, Mr. Rice) and changing games and destroying defenses with freakish athleticism. He go the nickname "Freak" for a reason, and those terrible 2 years in OAK under Art Shell are the only black mark, besides being an ass. And there's alot of all time greats that were asses. Or druggies, or murderers or gamblers, etc etc.

The druggies,murderers and gamblers were all things that happened outside the lines ,they still played every game as hard as they could.

The greatest players made their teams better,they didnt have to be on a great team in order to give their all.

Edited by xtra

Moss is the best WR that has ever played the game from a pure talent standpoint.If he had the work ethic and attitude of a Jerry Rice he would be the clear cut #1 WR of all time.

:D You must have NEVER watched Jerry Rice play football. He did not put up the numbers he did becasue of his work ethic and attitude alone and neither was it all Joe and Steve, his talent had A LOT to do with it.

Maybe the most talented WR to ever play pro football, but he still doesn't crack the top 10 of all time best IMO. He still might if he can keep it up from here on out... but that's a mighty big "if" that he has to overcome. Only consistent on-field results can be used to judge this kind of question, otherwise you could ask the same question of Ricky Williams, Koren Robinson, etc., etc.

Just because Culpepper lost his skill and then Moss gets the God awful Aaron Brooks, you hold that against him? Weak. :D

If you use that as an excuse then playing with great QBs(or QBSwho havent lost their skills) should be used against them as the reason they are the greatest ?

Andre Johnson on the Patriots or with another reciever who merits double coverage like Carter did could put up the same numbers as Moss.

If I remember right the reason Culpepper went bad was because Carter left and he didnt have a great reciever on both sides of him anymore,which made him throw into double coverage on a regular basis to Moss.

It wasnt that Culpepper went bad,he was the same as before but he didnt have 2 go to guys on the field all the time and his jump ball throws to Moss became ineffective.

I may be wrong on some of that ,but its the way I remember it happening. :D

Edited by xtra

Just because Culpepper lost his skill and then Moss gets the God awful Aaron Brooks, you hold that against him? Weak. :D

You sound like a used car salesman. Moss sucked in Oakland well before Brooks got there.

I go Rice #1 with Moss # 2.

Alot of people take that "I play when I want to play " comment to far. he just said that to pizz off the media and show them he don't care what they think about him as they were constantly on him about something .Outside of his Oakland experience he has been dominant. and even in his Oakland experiences he was double and triple teamed forcing them to go elsewhere when he was healthy. the team was just so horrible it dragged all the good players down. he makes the players around him look better than they are as you are seeing with Wes Welker this year. if he stays healthy another 5 years he could become the best WR ever.

I do agree Moss did give up in Oakland but none of us are in position to say we would not of done the same thing if we were the best weapon in the NFL and your team was not figuring out ways to use it.

Rice definately played under better circumstances and played with veterans around him his whole career.he was in position and was great enough to make great things happen. if Moss were in those same circumstances we might already be calling him the best ever.

For anyone who doesn't think Moss is in the top 5, I wanna see that list of yours. And I'll spot you Rice, Carter and Harrison.

There just haven't been many truly "great" WRs, in terms of on-field production. Lots of guys with longevity and consistency, but few with eye-popping numbers. For me, there are only four: Rice, Carter, Harrison and Moss.

So, take those four (in their primes), and ask yourself one question: Who would you want on your team for ONE game? I have a ton of respect for the other three, but I'd roll with Moss. I think, with all other things equal, Moss gives me the best advantage over an opposing team.

You could ask 100 defensive coaches who they'd want to face the least in that one game, and I'd bet more than 50 of them say Moss. :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

For anyone who doesn't think Moss is in the top 5, I wanna see that list of yours. And I'll spot you Rice, Carter and Harrison.

There just haven't been many truly "great" WRs, in terms of on-field production. Lots of guys with longevity and consistency, but few with eye-popping numbers. For me, there are only four: Rice, Carter, Harrison and Moss.

So, take those four (in their primes), and ask yourself one question: Who would you want on your team for ONE game? I have a ton of respect for the other three, but I'd roll with Moss. I think, with all other things equal, Moss gives me the best advantage over an opposing team.

You could ask 100 defensive coaches who they'd want to face the least in that one game, and I'd bet more than 50 of them say Moss. :D

RICE - Moss is a great WR and may wind up being the all-time #2 but the difference between #1 and #2 is like night and day. He had better hands than any WR EVER to play the game and his statistical dominance with his career records should be enough to kill this debate.

RICE - Moss is a great WR and may wind up being the all-time #2 but the difference between #1 and #2 is like night and day. He had better hands than any WR EVER to play the game and his statistical dominance with his career records should be enough to kill this debate.

I think you missed the point. I specifically asked the "one game" question so you'd think outside the box of Rice's career records.

The only part of Rice's actual receiving game you mentioned was his hands. Yes, they were great...and Moss has great hands, too. He's never had a problem with drops, and he's ALWAYS making acrobatic grabs.

I was speaking from pure football standpoint. All other things equal, Moss gives his team a bigger advantage on the field.