[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Honeymoon out west (mountain states)

SeductiveNun

So I'll be getting married the first week of June next year. My fiancee and I decided that since we couldn't afford neither the time nor the expense to fly out to Ireland, we would head west. Her ideal thought was to hit a ski resort in the middle of summer and see what other options were available around that area. A couple of things high on the list are kayaking (although neither of us are really trained for whitewater), horseback riding, and in lieu of the kayaking I'm making an executive decision and throwing out a guided rafting tour instead. I'm just looking for some possibilities of places to head out there - she's thinking Montana - but we'd be open to pretty much anything in the Rocky Mountain area that would work for us. It would be a week stay for sure, and I may be able to sneak a some golf in for a day with area Huddlers if possible (she's going to want to go horseback riding more than once, and I'm only on the hook for one horseback ride given my lack of enthusiasm for riding horses - which she is fully aware of).

I realize this is a very vague and general request at this time, but it's the best I can come up with right now. I'm sure I'll get some more focus on it later. At least I hope so since she put me in charge of planning the honeymoon. :wacko:

I have limited experience out west. However, I spent a week in Glacier Natl Park in Montana. You can find really good guided whitewater rafting trips, horseback riding, the helicopter ride over the contintental divide was unreal, there is great hiking, and I cannot imagine more amazing views.

All I can say is that the National Parks out west are Class A Amazing. Glacier in Montana is great in the summer, but I mean July and August. They can still have snow in some places until July. Plan carefully. Yellowstone is otherworldly. Grand Teton you get to see a lot of wildlife. If you're into the desert scene Southern Utah is spectacular as the Grand Canyon is right there as well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about these places. I should have photos up of most of these places soon as well.

That being said, for a honeymoon Bier's suggestion is not a bad one at all.

You should also look into Sun Valley Idaho. Lot's of outdoor opportunities, plus you can book a trip on the main fork of the Salmon River.

Lots of good suggestions. Sun Valley is nice, and a short distance to Stanley, Red Fish Lake and other really nice spots. We do a trip every year to Red Fish and have a great time. Jackson would also work, it's close to Yellowstone and two ski resorts.

Not sure how much horse back riding you have done, but I would schedule the golf before the horse back ride. You maybe a little sore to play golf the day after a horse back ride. You should also be able to get a decent rate on a condo or home to stay in during the summer season. VRBO would be a great place to start if you want to do that. But if Bier can get you in at a good rate why not.

you'd have fun in the big resort towns like vail, aspen or breck. breck would be a little closer to the arkansas river, which reportedly has the best whitewater rafting in the state.

but as someone who has lived in colorado my whole life, let me humbly submit my most favorite part of the whole state, the san juan mountains in the southwest part of the state. I'm sure you could find some great places to stay in telluride or ouray, or even durango. there is rafting on the san miguel river. pretty close to a couple great national parks -- mesa verde (with its anasazi cliff dwellings) and the black canyon of the gunnison. it is truly the most beautiful part of the state, and less crowded than some of the other areas because it is farther from denver. that is the downside -- it will take you 5 or 6 hours to drive there if you're flying into denver, but you can make it a really nice, leisurely day, rent a convertible or something.

So I'll be getting married the first week of June next year. My fiancee and I decided that since we couldn't afford neither the time nor the expense to fly out to Ireland, we would head west. Her ideal thought was to hit a ski resort in the middle of summer and see what other options were available around that area. A couple of things high on the list are kayaking (although neither of us are really trained for whitewater), horseback riding, and in lieu of the kayaking I'm making an executive decision and throwing out a guided rafting tour instead. I'm just looking for some possibilities of places to head out there - she's thinking Montana - but we'd be open to pretty much anything in the Rocky Mountain area that would work for us. It would be a week stay for sure, and I may be able to sneak a some golf in for a day with area Huddlers if possible (she's going to want to go horseback riding more than once, and I'm only on the hook for one horseback ride given my lack of enthusiasm for riding horses - which she is fully aware of).

I realize this is a very vague and general request at this time, but it's the best I can come up with right now. I'm sure I'll get some more focus on it later. At least I hope so since she put me in charge of planning the honeymoon. :D

Don't know anything about a Western honeymoon: just wanted to say congrats!!!!

She is getting a good person. :wacko:

telluride is gorgeous. iirc there is an airport in morrison which would sginificantly shorten your drive. also, if you choose, glenwood is about an hour and 15 from breck, 45 from vail, 45 or so from aspen. imo it's worth a day trip. i'd go crazy spending more than a couple of days there myself. vail in the summer is fantastic. there are more activities than in the winter. also a lot of the restaurants and hotels have good deals going on.

congrats.

might want to consider Canada ... or Whistler, British Columbia, home of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games

decent exhange rate (should be somewhere around 10 %) , will be plenty of hotels, restaurants etc plus all activities you mentioned and some great golfing.

www.whistler.com

Congrats , and enjoy the honeymoon where ever you go.

I had a great time in Jackson Hole a few June's ago for an anniversary trip. Got to do some whitewater rafting with the wife as well as tour Yellowstone and Teton National forest.

+1 on this one. I have rafted and canoed north of Jackson on the Wyoming idaho border and it is awesome. Yellowstone and the Tetons need to be seen at least in your life. That whole area is worth a visit

might want to consider Canada ... or Whistler, British Columbia, home of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games

decent exhange rate (should be somewhere around 10 %) , will be plenty of hotels, restaurants etc plus all activities you mentioned and some great golfing.

www.whistler.com

Congrats , and enjoy the honeymoon where ever you go.

I was just going to suggest Banff.

I was just going to suggest Banff.

One thing to think about if you are going to go the first week of June is the weather. It snowed here in Bend, OR and in Montana last year the first week of June. Banff or Whislter will be even colder. Maybe it will be fun to be in the mtns in the snow but if you are looking for warm weather, you may want to go a little south and lower in elevation like So. Col or Utah. Even if it does snow, the high temp of the day in Co in the higher elevations., or Mt. will be at least around 50. Rafting in recent snow runoff water will be quite chilly.

Lake Tahoe is way too crowded IMO, and I used to live an hour and fifteen minutes from Tahoe. If you like to gamble it's a fun place. Good golf is $175 a round plus. There is great raftingi in June in recent snowmelt in lower elevations about an hour west of Tahoe.

Bend, OR or Sunriver, OR, where I live, may not be a place I'd go to first place I'd suggest to visit out west but a pretty great place to visit. It is high desert with the mountains 20 minutes away. It is considered the "Palm Springs of the Northwest" for golf and many relocate here because of the equestrian opportunites. There is even a page dedicated to horse ownership and riding in the sports section of the newspaper every Fri. Rafting is pretty great too. There is a very active lifestyle here and many former Olympic athletes live here.

One thing to think about if you are going to go the first week of June is the weather. It snowed here in Bend, OR and in Montana last year the first week of June. Banff or Whislter will be even colder. Maybe it will be fun to be in the mtns in the snow but if you are looking for warm weather, you may want to go a little south and lower in elevation like So. Col or Utah. Even if it does snow, the high temp of the day in Co in the higher elevations., or Mt. will be at least around 50. Rafting in recent snow runoff water will be quite chilly.

Lake Tahoe is way too crowded IMO, and I used to live an hour and fifteen minutes from Tahoe. If you like to gamble it's a fun place. Good golf is $175 a round plus. There is great raftingi in June in recent snowmelt in lower elevations about an hour west of Tahoe.

Bend, OR or Sunriver, OR, where I live, may not be a place I'd go to first place I'd suggest to visit out west but a pretty great place to visit. It is high desert with the mountains 20 minutes away. It is considered the "Palm Springs of the Northwest" for golf and many relocate here because of the equestrian opportunites. There is even a page dedicated to horse ownership and riding in the sports section of the newspaper every Fri. Rafting is pretty great too. There is a very active lifestyle here and many former Olympic athletes live here.

I'll second the vote for Bend, Oregon. It has all the things you want ..... skiing, white water rafting, shopping, golfing, nightlife, biking, etc. We have a condo there and spend at least two weeks there every year. Great resort @ Sunriver and fantastic Golf courses and skiing at Mount Bachelor.

• 8 months later...

had the pleasure of meeting mr and mrs nun a couple of weeks ago. gave them a little walking tour of vail village while hitting a few bars along the way. we ended up camping at the Tap Room so we could watch game 6 of the nhl finals. had a wonderful time with them. good people. they caught some rain, though not sure if they got snow.

congrats again... and my best in to you in your future together

:wacko:

Well we decided to head out to Vail for our honeymoon, and Bier was gracious in setting us up at Sonnenalp Resort, I highly recommend it. The service was top notch, and everyone who worked there was as friendly and helpful as you could possibly be.

As Bier said, we got together Tuesday for most of the day - me and Mrs. Nun did some horseback riding that morning and saw a few mule deer and elk, and we hooked up with Bier upon our return. As soon as we started talking fantasy sports however, it was time for Mrs. Nun to go back and take a nap and let the guys hang out for a while. :2cents: She did join us for the hockey game that evening though.

The only time we had bad weather out there was on Wednesday, it was in the 50's and raining most of the day, which was perfect as we had picked that day to go rafting. :D It wasn't all bad though, we only did a river float trip, so no upending the raft and ending up in the drink for anyone. Mrs. Nun wasn't thrilled with the concept of a Class III or IV rapids, hence the easy trip on Class II. Still, the scenery was beautiful, although the only wildlife we saw on the river was what I thought was a cow that had drowned some time back. :wacko:

And the food in Vail. Unbelievably freakin' good. :D Once again, service was great wherever we went, and the specials were awesome! We timed it perfectly hitting it in the off season like we did. We could get into any restaurant in the city with no waiting and no reservations.

We were told several times to head out to Glenwood Springs, but time didn't really allow it for us. Next time we head out that way (and there will be a next time we've already decided), that will be on our list.

Played the Sonnenalp golf course our last day there. Never quite got the hang of the extra distance on my short irons, and went over a lot of greens. :D Still, the weather was perfect for golf that day. Mrs. Nun used that day to enjoy the spa at the resort instead, so we both got our individual fun day in as well.

All things considered, we couldn't have been happier with our choice for our honeymoon. Bier, once again I owe you a big thanks for everything you did for us. :D If you ever find yourself out this way in the future, let me know and I'll do what I can to return the favor.

I'm glad you two had a great trip!

I'm also glad that you didn't kayak cuz people die here every year.

I've been kayaking on lakes and the ocean, but when I looked into what we had to do to get on a river I did one of these :wacko: and promptly changed my mind about it.

And our rafting tour guide also told us she would never try river kayaking..............way to dangerous.