[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Harrison III attacked by daddy's pit bull

budlitebrad

Just like it wasn't a good idea for man to play God and create the breed to begin with.

That's a reach... Are you saying that man created Bull terriers?

But hey, if we're killing all the pits, we have to kill all the Rots as well.

A study examining a two-year period by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that, "during 1997 and 1998, at least 27 people died of dog bite attacks (18 in 1997 and 9 in 1998). At least 25 breeds of dogs have been involved in 238 human DBRF (dog bite related fatalities) during the past 20 years. Pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers" [the study places both breeds into one category] "...were involved in more than half of these deaths." Additionally, the article concluded: "Although fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers), other breeds may bite and cause fatalities at higher rates."

That's a reach... Are you saying that man created Bull terriers?

But hey, if we're killing all the pits, we have to kill all the Rots as well.

It's a fact, not a reach.

Per dogbreedinfo.com...

"By crossing the Bulldog with the Old English Terrier and adding a bit of Spanish Pointer blood, they came up with the Bull Terrier."

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bullterrier.htm

Edited by spider321

Yes I am. Thanks for asking.

Per dogbreedinfo.com...

By crossing the Bulldog with the Old English Terrier and adding a bit of Spanish Pointer blood, they came up with the Bull Terrier.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bullterrier.htm

I still don't see how a bulldog putting it to a terrier is absolutely because of man. My friends Lab tried to hump my boxer the other day. Believe it or not he just kind of went for it without any encouragment from us. I think we're giving humans too much credit here.

I still don't see how a bulldog putting it to a terrier is absolutely because of man. My friends Lab tried to hump my boxer the other day. Believe it or not he just kind of went for it without any encouragment from us. I think we're giving humans too much credit here.

I respect your right to be wrong. :wacko:

"As the modern understanding of genetics developed, humans began to intentionally breed dogs for a wide range of specific traits. Through this process, the dog has developed into hundreds of varied breeds..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog

Basically, breeding different dogs with each other was a hobby for wealthy Europeans in the 19th century. It was also seen as somewhat of a status symbol. (sorta like adopting African babies is for wealthy Americans today)

Edited by spider321

My sister and nephews have a pit on their land. My youngest nephew was playing on the property with the pit when a rattlesnake was about to strike my nephew. The dog jumped in the way, took the bite, then ripped the snakes head off and brought it to the porch. They then rushed the evil pit to the vet and saved her life. If that pit wasn't there, I don't know what happens to my nephew.

My girlfriend was raised around three pits that never once made an aggresive action towards her, but were extremely protective of her. I don't have a pit at this point, but have a few friends that do. I do have a boxer which is considered by some to be an agressive dog, but she's far from it. Not all Pits are killers like some would have you believe.

Just a question... Everyone talking about how someone deserves what they get with a pit... Have you had any experiances with Pits?

Of course not all Pit Bulls attack people but, there is a very short list of dog breeds that have a history of unexplainable aggressive behavior and Pit Bulls are at the top of that list.

And to bring a Pit Bull into a family environment, in my opinion, is to put your child at risk. Why would anyine do that?

It was a joke(sort of), genius.

There is a couple in my town that no doubt did this. She walks around with a black baby like a purse at the games in town and is no doubt looking for "look at me I adopted a black baby" accolades.

I know another couple that did it to truly give this kid a chance at a better life years ago and they really did. He is flourishing and is a great kid.

It's too bad those pit-bulls weren't there to defend Harrison's wife when he was hitting her

:D

Whomper molests small farm animals............... :wacko:

To my understanding, her pits were trained the same as her border collie.

My point was that, in the past we had a go-around on this topic and somebody relates a story about the lovable pit that was always great with the kids and slept on the bed sometimes and then one day snapped and bit the kids ear off, someone fixates on the fact that they shouldn't have let the dog on the bed because it confuses them as to their standing in the family.

Now, that may be true, but considering that most of us are not total experts on dog behavior, maybe it's best to have a breed who will manifest it's confusion as to where it stands in the pecking order with less radical acts, like peeing on the carpet or hiding your shoes or something. Not mauling your kids.

Perhaps if either 1) you're really lucky or 2) you are an expert on dog behavior and do everything exactly correct, everything will work out just peachy. Of course, who among us does everything exactly the way they're supposed to? Specifically, how many guys who want pits because they're bad-ass put the amount of energy needed into training that dog to insure that they're not going to flip?

More importantly, why the hell do you want to invite that much pressure into your life? Especially when you can just get any number of other breeds and not have to worry?

More importantly, why the hell do you want to invite that much pressure into your life? Especially when you can just get any number of other breeds and not have to worry?

This makes a ton of sense to me, be it about dog ownership or any other topic. Why invite the question mark into your life?

This makes a ton of sense to me, be it about dog ownership or any other topic. Why invite the question mark into your life?

Meanwhile....from the local paper....the dog struck because the baby was crying...Patron, the pit bull owned by Steelers linebacker James Harrison, became agitated when the toddler began crying last Wednesday at their Franklin Park home and bit the child.

I am sure glad James is a good football player, because as a human being he is scum.

Meanwhile....from the local paper....the dog struck because the baby was crying...Patron, the pit bull owned by Steelers linebacker James Harrison, became agitated when the toddler began crying last Wednesday at their Franklin Park home and bit the child.

Well now I look at this totally differently...I mean the kid was crying, thats just asking for it...

I hope you're kidding on this one... Not sure that it's a good idea to try and play god by eradicating an animal. :wacko:

... Living a few hundred yards from the lake, I have a feeling that I'll be getting my share of Water Mocasiins as well.

Nope. Not kidding. We created these aberrations, we should eradicate them as well.

You Boxer (like my Grandfather's Viszlas) should have this training. I am sure there is something like it in your area.

Rattlesnake avoidance training for dogs.