[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Players from same team

ttaylor8

Just wanted to see what some opinions were on having multiple players from the same NFL team.

It seems like a quality QB/WR combo would be great. I'm more interested in the QB/RB or RB/WR combo.

If the players are good, does it really matter?

Any issues with going for Rivers & Tomlinson, Rodgers & Grant, Johnson/Slaton, etc??

Thanks for your thoughts

Just wanted to see what some opinions were on having multiple players from the same NFL team.

It seems like a quality QB/WR combo would be great. I'm more interested in the QB/RB or RB/WR combo.

If the players are good, does it really matter?

Any issues with going for Rivers & Tomlinson, Rodgers & Grant, Johnson/Slaton, etc??

Thanks for your thoughts

Unless your league rewards bonus points for having players on the same team on your fantasy squad, there is no reason to target them.

Now, if the player in question is your top rated player at the position you have decided is the one you will be drafting at that particular pick, then by all means draft them.

When it comes to your core starters I would suggest that you do not take into account their teammate status or bye-weeks. Grab the best players you can at each position, based solely on your rankings and strategy. Use your back-up picks to fill in bye-week needs.

Von

No kidding I had a QB/Kicker combo, that was cool. On a decent offensive team, if they get inside the 40 you're looking at a points regardless. If the drive stalls you get a FG chance.

Agreed I wouldn't target it, but it's fun. The Kicker/QB combo is probably one to achieve without much difficulty.

A lot of people like to get the WR/QB combo, but I feel that the chances for a REALLY bad week are just too much with that. I won't avoid it, but I won't reach to get into that situation either.

I do like to try and get 2 wides from the same team - and hope that one of them breaks out early.

It shouldn't make any difference. Early in the draft the only thing I watch for as I build my team is bye week conflicts - and it is only a minor consideration that is a deciding factor when I have a choice of two guys who I consider relatively equal. Two players on the same team are pretty much the same as two players with the same bye week. If they are good value, I select them irregardless.

Later in the draft, I'm looking for guys from the same team who play the exact same position on the field as my studs - either RB or WR - and who would step into my stud's slot if my stud goes down. I know I likely won't get the same production, but I will get a starter who is going to fill the hole pretty well.

Many people target a QB/WR combo citing the "double-dip"; both throwing and receiving stats on the same play. But what they tend to forget is that it makes your team very polar. High scoring when your pairing goes off and low scoring when they struggle. Rather than if your QB and WR were on different team there is a better chance of at least one player doing well that week.

I find it only works when you have an elite QB and WR like Manning/Harrison in his prime that their individual consistencies are high enough that you do well.

Interestingly enough, I have noticed that if you select an RB and WR from the same team, your consistency increases as it's more likely that at least one will have a good game.

I remember a dude in one of my local leagues, back in 2002 (after a huge year by the Rams) loaded up in the draft with Warner, Faulk, Holt, and I think Bruce too. We all thought it might be a brilliant strategy, but of course it didn't work out as he had planned, and in the end he lost... big!

That's just anecdotal, but it made me gun-shy from loading up on guys from one team after watching him struggle all that year. I will do either a QB-RB or QB-WR combo if the players fall in place (I won't reach for that combo) but I wouldn't purposely try to stack my roster with guys from one successful team.

Many people target a QB/WR combo citing the "double-dip"; both throwing and receiving stats on the same play. But what they tend to forget is that it makes your team very polar. High scoring when your pairing goes off and low scoring when they struggle. Rather than if your QB and WR were on different team there is a better chance of at least one player doing well that week.

I find it only works when you have an elite QB and WR like Manning/Harrison in his prime that their individual consistencies are high enough that you do well.

Interestingly enough, I have noticed that if you select an RB and WR from the same team, your consistency increases as it's more likely that at least one will have a good game.

Do you have any support for your assertions?

It really doesn't matter. Reggie Wayne is going to score the same number of points for your fantasy football team no matter which QB you start on your fantasy football team - Peyton Manning. Eli Manning. Archie Manning.) (Unless you have some crazy rule that gives you extra points for a QB-WR hookup, which would be...crazy.) Consistency is not effected either. Because manning throws 3TD passes in a game doesn't mean that Wayne is going to catch one. And because Manning throws only 1 TD pass doesn't mean that Wayne is not going to catch one.

As an esteemed Huddler once said, draft the players that you think will score the most points.

Do you have any support for your assertions?

It really doesn't matter. Reggie Wayne is going to score the same number of points for your fantasy football team no matter which QB you start on your fantasy football team - Peyton Manning. Eli Manning. Archie Manning.) (Unless you have some crazy rule that gives you extra points for a QB-WR hookup, which would be...crazy.) Consistency is not effected either. Because manning throws 3TD passes in a game doesn't mean that Wayne is going to catch one. And because Manning throws only 1 TD pass doesn't mean that Wayne is not going to catch one.

As an esteemed Huddler once said, draft the players that you think will score the most points.

As I said before, it makes your team more polar. You will have a better chance to score big when the passing game has a big day and vice versa. Just because Manning throws 3 TDs does not necessarily mean that Wayne will catch one, I agree, but he certainly have a better chance to catch one than if Manning struggles. It's simple odds. Manning's play affects Wayne's stats. You have better odds of both having great days on the same day and better odds of both having poor days on the same day because each player's play affects the others.

Look at Manning last year. In a 1pt/25yd pass and 4pt/pass TD league, he struggled in 3 games where we finished with less than 10 points. I'm throwing out week 17 because he didn't play the whole game.

week 3 vs Jags - 216 pass yards 1 pass TD 2 INT

week 7 vs Packers - 229 pass yards 2 INT

week 13 vs. Browns - 125 pass yards 2 INT

Here's Wayne in those weeks.

week 3 - 3 catches for 74 yards

week 7 - 2 catches for 24 yards

week 13 - 4 catches for 46 yards

Conversely, the highs.

Manning - Wayne

week 6 - 271 yds 3 TDs - 8 rec 118 yds 1 TD

week 10 - 240 yds 3 TDs - 6 rec 114 yds 1 TD

week 11 - 320 yds 2 TDs - 7 rec 90 yds

week 14 - 277 yds 3 TDs - 5 rec 48 yds

week 16 - 362 yds 3 TDs - 7 rec 108 yds 1 TD

Assuming PPR scoring over the 16 week fantasy season, Wayne averaged 14.9 point a game and Manning averaged 15.9 points a game for a combined mean scoring of 30.8 PPG.

In the low weeks, your duo got you the following scores: 18, 9, 9 (AVG: 12 PPG)

In the high weeks, your duo got you the following scores: 47, 44, 36, 32, 49 (AVG: 41.6 PPG)

That's a hugh deviation in stats from the mean. Unless you play total points (at whcih point my argument is moot), the object is to score more points than your opponent in that given week. You probably lose those three weeks and likely win those other weeks. Your bad weeks are more likely to be magnified and result in a loss and vice versa for your good weeks.

Not all of Manning's big weeks result in a big week for Wayne, and not all of Wayne's big weeks resulted from a big week from Manning, but you can see that usually the bad weeks tend to result in poor stats for both. And that's just the example that you laid out. It's not a bulletproof law but it's something I have noticed.

Steve Smith is likely a guy who was available last year if you were in position to select Reggie Wayne. Let's look at his stats over those highlights games.

week 3: 4 rec 70 yds

week 6: 6 rec 112 yds

week 7: 6 rec 122yds 1 TD

week 10: 1 rec 9 yds

week 11: 6 rec 59 yds 1 rush 16 yds

week 13: 4 rec 105 yds

week 14: 9 rec 117 yds 1TD

week 16: 3 rec 47 yds 2 rush 21 yds

Totals for the Manning-Smith duo over low Manning weeks: 19, 29, 15 (AVG: 21 PPG)

Total for the Manning-Smith duo over high Manning weeks: 39, 22, 32, 49, 35 (AVG: 35.4 PPG)

Mean for the duo: 33.7

The highs are higher and the lows are lower when your QB and WR are from the same team.

And another thing, I suspect that, if starting too many players from the same team has an effect on "consistency", its going to help you just as many times as it hurts you.

True, but an inconsistent team is one that loses in the playoffs. I prefer a consistent team myself.

The merits(or lack thereof) of the "hookup" has been a subject of debate around here for years. While I have always understood the argument for it, I have never agreed with it.

As far as having multiple players for the same team, its never something I try to achieve but I dont shy away from getting a player because I already have one from that team. As other's have said earlier, you take the best players you can get and it usually works out for you...

I did this in my keeper several times, and now try to avoid it unless the player is just too good to pass on. The ones I tried:

Brees/LT/Gates--(i even threw in McCardell for a while and had 4!) My team was just building then, and I didn't have much of a chance to compete in the league I was in, so I can't say it really impacted things one way or the other. I pretty much just did it for the fun of it.

Palmer/Rudi/CJ--then eventually Palmer/CJ. This absolutely killed me. It was ok for a while, but wow did they have some bad games together.

Peyton/Edge/Dallas Clark---This was pretty solid for me for a while, but Peyton and Edge kind of took turns. I really didn't ever get big games from both of them, and most of the time, by the fantasy playoffs in weeks 15-17, Edge and Peyton weren't playing full games, so I had to completely change my starting lineup when I needed them most.

The problem is that to be a legit contender, you can't afford to lose more than 4-5 fantasy games per year. Even the best will have a few stinkers. I would certainly stay away from QB/WR combos outside of Manning/Wayne and Brady/Moss. They WILL have a few bad games, and your fantasy teams WILL lose those weeks. You have to be so perfect the in all the other weeks to offset your "automatic losses" that one bad lineup decision any other week can cost you your whole season.

QB/RB combos can balance you out and make you more consistent, but you will likely not have many "monster" weeks.

I will be in the camp of drafting for consistency. If my QB has a subpar game, I would hope that my stud receiver could help offset that. If my stud receiver plays for the same team, there is no chance of that happening.

Edited by Seahawks21

• 2 weeks later...