[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At what age can a child be left in a movie theater?

Big Country

Just curious on thoughts out there. For those that don;t know, I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old (as well as a 5 month old). On occassion when we don't go as a family, I'll take the 6 and 4 year olds to a movie, kind of a special treat with Dad. Problem is, invariably during the movie, the 4 year old will need to pee, and of course the 6 year old doesn't want to leave and miss a part of the movie.

So, at what age will it be safe for me to leave the older kid in the theater while I take the younger one to pee.

Additionally, at what age could I let one of them go to the bathroom on their own?

I would think I could start letting the now 6-year old stay in the theater on his own a lot sooner than I would let him go to the bathroom on his own, just not sure at what age I would be totally comfortable with it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think I could start letting the now 6-year old stay in the theater on his own a lot sooner than I would let him go to the bathroom on his own, just not sure at what age I would be totally comfortable with it.

I think you're fu[/bcking nuts. You don't leave a 6 year old alone anywhere, much less in a dark theater full of strangers.

As for letting them go to the bathroom alone, I'd be pretty careful with that as well:

http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/201...for_sexual.html

Yesterday, police announced the arrest of Pintado for the sexual assault of a 7-year-old in a bathroom stall at a movie theater in West Nyack, N.Y.

The alleged assault in New York happened in the AMC Loews theater in the Palisades Center mall on New Year’s Day. Police say that Pintado was hiding in the women’s bathroom when the girl, who was at the theater watching “Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel” with her father and younger sibling, went to the restroom.

“He went into the bathroom before the little girl did,” said Clarkstown police Sgt. Harry Baumann. When the girl entered a stall, “he followed her right in,” said Baumann. Other people were in the bathroom, which has 39 stalls, but no one said anything, according to Baumann.

The girl was in the bathroom for less than three minutes when she was assaulted.

Surveillance video caught Pintado exiting the bathroom seconds before the girl returned to her father, who was waiting at a nearby concession stand, authorities said.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I think you're fu[/bcking nuts. You don't leave a 6 year old alone anywhere, much less in a dark theater full of strangers.

I didn't say I'd leave him now, I am asking at what age could I start letting him stay in the theater.

So, at what age will it be safe for me to leave the older kid in the theater while I take the younger one to pee.

Age doesn't factor into the equation here. As soon as you are confident that one of the kids could beat the living crap out an adult that tried to mess with him, that's when you can leave him alone. So, most likely that won't occur until they are in their well developed teens.

I used to be hesitant to let Jr sit in theater or go to the bathroom until my buddy pointed out that he choked all of them out regularly and me once. The moral of the story is that while someone could certainly abduct him, it would sound like a heard of elephants and there would be lots of shrieking on both sides. If he weren't so obsessed with his skill set I wouldn't allow him to be alone til he was 12 or 13.

Just curious on thoughts out there. For those that don;t know, I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old (as well as a 5 month old). On occassion when we don't go as a family, I'll take the 6 and 4 year olds to a movie, kind of a special treat with Dad. Problem is, invariably during the movie, the 4 year old will need to pee, and of course the 6 year old doesn't want to leave and miss a part of the movie.

Additionally, at what age could I let one of them go to the bathroom on their own?

Make the 4 year-old wear a pull-up to the movie theater. All problems solved.

:wacko:

The 6-year-old should take the 4-year-old to the bathroom. The kid has someone to go with him to the men's room, and Dad doesn't have to miss any part of the movie he just shelled out $25 for. Everybody wins.

Age doesn't factor into the equation here. As soon as you are confident that one of the kids could beat the living crap out an adult that tried to mess with him, that's when you can leave him alone. So, most likely that won't occur until they are in their well developed teens.

I like this one. Me, I'm a worry wart, so I can't envision leaving my child alone for a while yet. She's 4 and a purple belt already so I will feel more comfortable knowing that by 16 she can beat the crap out of someone if needed.

Still though, I will always worry.

I know the 24 hour news cycle and spread of information makes everyone afraid all the time, but our actual crime statistics are similar to the early 1970s (2009 was lower than 1975).

My opinion is, you have to tell by your own kid. If the kid is old enough to know to scream if someone comes over and gets near them or tries to grab them, I'd think you'd be fine for a 4 minute trip to the bathroom. No room full of parents are going to ignore a kid screaming that someone is trying to attack them. Of course the city you live in, the maturity of your kid, and your own spidey sense of who is around have a lot to do with what the best course of action is. Is there possibly a near bye parent you could ask quickly to keep an eye on your 6 year old while you run the other to the restroom?

I know the 24 hour news cycle and spread of information makes everyone afraid all the time, but our actual crime statistics are similar to the early 1970s (2009 was lower than 1975).

Agree 1,000,000%. Worrying about this stuff is akin to hiding in the basement when you hear thunder outside.

My wife drives me nuts with the paranoia. We were on a boat cruise on Saturday in New York organized by a Phillies tailgate group. As we're getting off the boat near Citi Field, my wife tells me to keep a close eye on her neice (17) in case she is abducted and sold into the sex trade. She wasn't kidding. Every day, every situation, gotta be vigilant for the absolute worst case scenario, because "IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!". :wacko:

Agree 1,000,000%. Worrying about this stuff is akin to hiding in the basement when you hear thunder outside.

My wife drives me nuts with the paranoia. We were on a boat cruise on Saturday in New York organized by a Phillies tailgate group. As we're getting off the boat near Citi Field, my wife tells me to keep a close eye on her neice (17) in case she is abducted and sold into the sex trade. She wasn't kidding. Every day, every situation, gotta be vigilant for the absolute worst case scenario, because "IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!". :wacko:

I think this might be a case of too much Liam Neeson!

Is there possibly a recently paroled child molester disguised as a parent you could ask quickly to keep an eye on your 6 year old while you run the other to the restroom?

:wacko:

I just now started allowing my 11 year old to stay behind with his 9-year old sister if I ever have to take the younger set to the bathroom. I also allow my 11-year old to go on his own, but not my 9-year old. Then again, my 11-year old is a big kid...I doubt I'd let my petite daughter do the same at 11.

My thought is similar to those above: at some point, you have to let them have some freedom. While I wouldn't let my 11-year old walk the malls alone where he could be a great distance away from me, I let him hang in the toy aisle at Target if I have to run and get something in a different part of the store. I'll also send him for some things if we are together at the grocery store. Really depends on the environment. But I am sure kids have been abducted/molested in every type of store/theater/environment....and at ages as young as 2, or as old as 18. Gotta cut the umbilical cord at some point. For me, it was 10 for my son to have a little more rope.