[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At what age can a child be left in a movie theater?

Big Country

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 2-year olds that are abducted.....as well as 18 year olds and 30-year olds.

Not sure the point you are making?

Sorry... thought it was obvious.

The point I'm making is that some here think that that age is old enough to be left unsupervised, and I would argue that it's not.

Sorry... thought it was obvious.

The point I'm making is that some here think that that age is old enough to be left unsupervised, and I would argue that it's not.

So if I post an article about a 17 year old, like this one, would you then rgue that 17 is too young?

I guess your point was obvious...maybe my question should have been: "Why did you single this incident out, when you could just as easily find a news items about similar incidents from people aged from 1-100?"

So if I post an article about a 17 year old, like this one, would you then rgue that 17 is too young?

I guess your point was obvious...maybe my question should have been: "Why did you single this incident out, when you could just as easily find a news items about similar incidents from people aged from 1-100?"

Look, I'm honestly not trying to pick on you here or anything. It's not like I'm running to call social services on you for leaving your 11 year old in a movie theater. But you mentioning your 11 year old instantly made me think of Jacob Wetterling who was 11 years old. So I guess that's why I was singling out that age to mention him. I not really trying start something here... just saying that if it were me, I would be more cautious with my 11 year old. Obviously you are not me, and we just employ different parental strategies in this case.

I remember being left to watch Annie in the theater. Noone was waiting for me when it was over. I had to watch it twice. Needless to say I was really pissed. I was 9. For over 4 hours my parents left me alone in a theater, I cannot remember what it was they were doing or where they were at, but they weren't anywhere near the theater. I repressed that memory, now that it is conjured back up I am pissed again.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I remember being left to watch Annie in the theater. Noone was waiting for me when it was over. I had to watch it twice. Needless to say I was really pissed. I was 7. For over 4 hours my parents left me alone in a theater, I cannot remember what it was they were doing or where they were at, but they weren't anywhere near the theater. I repressed that memory, now that it is conjured back up I am pissed again.

Any psychologist worth a damn would uncover that it was being forced to watch Annie twice, and not being left alone, as the real culprit for your repressed anger.

Any psychologist worth a damn would uncover that it was being forced to watch Annie twice, and not being left alone, as the real culprit for your repressed anger.

the bastards! ... the sun 'll come out, TOMORROW! Every 3 hours I blank out and wake up with a curly gold wig on my head :wacko:

My daughter's 14 & goes to the movies with her friends.

(gasp) :wacko:

I think me and my friends roamed around one of the malls when we were in junior high because that was the "cool" thing to do at the time. that'd put us around 12 or so at the time. Of course I was 5'7" and on the wrestling team in 7th grade so maybe my parents were less worried about me (of course they might have just wanted me to get abducted).

I may be just a new dad, but a lot of this is makin' me go :tup:

I went to the movies alone with friends at 12-13... and some of y'all are worried about leaving an 11-year old alone in a theater for 5 minutes? I know, I know, it can happen anywhere... but the likelihood of it happening in a movie theater with a ton of folks around? :wacko:

Now, I suppose it depends on the kid. If it's a special-needs child that's 11, obviously not. If it's an 11-year old that is well-adjusted and has been taught about "stranger danger", well then... :lol:

Darin, you're new. You'll have several years of being brainwashed into the pu$$ification of America. Soon, your life won't be complete without a minivan and soccer practices and your entire life revolving around your children. You'll be a sad shell of your former glorious self. And then you'll be crying why they ran away at the first chance when they turn 18 after being suffocated their entire life.

Edited by TimC

Darin, you're new. You'll have several years of being brainwashed into the pu$$ification of America. Soon, your life won't be complete without a minivan and soccer practices and your entire life revolving around your children. You'll be a sad shell of your former glorious self. And then you'll be crying why they ran away at the first chance when they turn 18 after being suffocated their entire life.

My wife will never, ever own a minivan. And that's not me talkin'... that's her. No way, no how. As for soccer and the crying, though... :wacko:

I may be just a new dad, but a lot of this is makin' me go :rofl:

I went to the movies alone with friends at 12-13... and some of y'all are worried about leaving an 11-year old alone in a theater for 5 minutes? I know, I know, it can happen anywhere... but the likelihood of it happening in a movie theater with a ton of folks around? :wacko:

Now, I suppose it depends on the kid. If it's a special-needs child that's 11, obviously not. If it's an 11-year old that is well-adjusted and has been taught about "stranger danger", well then... :rofl:

yup

My wife will never, ever own a minivan. And that's not me talkin'... that's her. No way, no how. ... :tup:

mine said that 2 until we had twins :lol:

I'm totally fine being in the minority on this one. I don't think that it makes me a wuss to be overly cautious with this crap. But I'm not going to rail on anyone that reacts less cautiously with their kids either... I just happen to disagree with the perception here that the threats are not all that prevalent.

About 8 years ago, I was a single dad with 3 young kids. Boy 6, Girl 5, Girl 2.

My son wanted to ride one of the smaller roller-coasters (Iron Dragon) at Cedar Point, where we had passes. I think I went with just him and taught him how the line goes ... after that each time we all went, he got to ride it by himself once. We would walk him to the line entrance, then the girls and I would sit on a bench near the exit until he came out (usually about a 20-25 minute line).

I can't say for sure because we didn't go to movies as often, but I'm pretty certain that about that time I may have done exactly what is described in the original post ... left him in the theater when I took another to the bathroom (just out in the hall).

I realize others will be more protective, and that is fine. I grew up in a large family (8 kids) and currently have 7 myself. I learned to be responsible and self-sufficient, and my intent is to do the same with my kids.

When I was around 5 to 6 years old and my older sister was about 10 or 11 years old, my Mom would drop us off at the local movie theater on Saturday mornings for a double-feature while she went grocery shopping. The theater was always packed full of only children. Seriously, not an adult to be seen. It was a flipping zoo, but it was awesome! We'd each have a couple of bucks to load up on snacks and pop, and then we'd sit back and yell and scream through Pippi Longstocking and Herbie the Love Bug. So its not as if I led a sheltered chldhood or anything like that. I cherish those memories... but there's no way I try to replicate that experience for my son these days.