[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SLEEPERS

Crazysight

Roberts is not a rookie.

Marvin Harrison was 5'-11' with good but short of blazing speed

If WRs have to compete with Bowe and Lloyd to be worthy of rostering in your league, I can only assume you play in a start-1 WR league where TEs are considered as WRS. You might want to venture out and try a bit more challenging leagues.

Oh OK Bronco, then thank you for proving my point. And yes I was already thinking of Marvin harrison when looking at Roberts measurables and how a guy like that would be fantasy relevant if he played for the Colts. So IF the cardinals manage to get Peyton Manning at Quarterback for next season instead of Derek Anderson, then he'll be a good "sleeper." Harrison had an oustanding career because he played with Manning, just as every receiver or tight end who plays alongside him looks like a star (go figure). If he had played with the likes of Derek Anderson type QBs throughout his career though we would hardly even know who Marvin Harrison was.

And we can start as many as 5 wideouts in my league, with TEs considered as wide receivers, though the best teams will start 2-3 RBs and 2-3 receivers.. They don't have to be that good to be worthy of rostering on my team, but they certainly need to be close to have a chance to start.

Edited by Crazysight

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for making me aware of Roberts though, I wasn't aware of the guy. However I can't consider him roster worthy on my team unless there's at least a change at QB in Arizona, although there may well be before the season starts.

To me a sleeper is a player that you can get late in a draft or after a draft that has the potential to help lead your team to a championship. If they're simply undervalued though its true they might not be considered a "true" sleeper, but they are still worth mentioning over players with lesser abilities I feel since what we really care about is stocking our teams with players who have the ability to take our teams all the way.

Edited by Crazysight

To me, a sleeper is someone who might not be drafted at all, if you hadn't taken him. Otherwise, aren't we just talking under-valued?

That's a very valid point, those guys are next to impossible to identify ahead of time though. If we had all had any inkling that guys like Tom Brady, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Arian Foster, etc. would become the studs ahead of time that they did we would all have been all over them. A TRUE sleeper in that strictest sense of the word though is next to impossible to identify because there's nothing or next to nothing that we know about them ahead of time that would point to their future excellency in the NFL.

Edited by Crazysight

It always strikes me funny how every time a sleeper thread is posted that inevitably an argument breaks out over who or what a sleeper is.

Yep :wacko:

On the message board from one of the leagues I'm in we argue about this every year too

For the sake of argument ( because we give brownie points for those who choose sleepers before the year starts) we say a sleeper is any player that end the season TWO tiers above where the Huddle had them projected

That's a very valid point, those guys are next to impossible to identify ahead of time though. If we had all had any inkling that guys like Tom Brady, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Arian Foster, etc. would become the studs ahead of time that they did we would all have been all over them. A TRUE sleeper in that strictest sense of the word though is next to impossible to identify because there's nothing or next to nothing that we know about them ahead of time that would point to their future excellency in the NFL.

A la Kurt Warner when he stepped in for Trent Green...

This is why this thread is so important. During pre-season the talk of training camp was Terrell Davis. So those that paid attention in Colorado moved TD up on their draft boards where most people didn't even think about picking him up over Burnstein. Last year, this message board was all over Arian Foster who many people didn't consider until the last 2 rounds of their draft if at all.

I pay attention to this thread during preseason and watch to see how these people perform. There are absolutely gems that can be grabbed by listening to others here regardless of how you rate sleepers or not!

If said it before and I'll say it again.....even though he's no sleeper, I think Javid Best could completely outperform his ADP this year as a top 5 back.

Well to answer your question, sleepers are supposed to actually have a decent chance to perform well in fantasy leagues. Now I'll throw it back on you, how exactly is Roberts supposed to be a true sleeper, ie somebody one might expect to do well fantasy wise? A rookie, only 5'11, drafted by THE CARDINALS, good speed though short of blazing, does seem to be pretty well polished for a rookie though. In a productive offense led by a competent QB I could see a guy like that doing well, but its hard for me to believe he's got any chance at ever competing on my fantasy team with the likes of D Bowe. Lloyd, gates, etc unless something radically changes about the whole of the Cardinals offense this year.

Finley IS a potential sleeper in a league like mine, which is NOT a tight end mandatory league, and so tight ends are often times overlooked unless they have the potential to perform on a par close to that of a top WR. He also missed most of last year due to an injury, as you know I'm sure. Hardesty is talented and well known, but he's playing behind Hillis, and so is apt to be overlooked or undervalued, especially considering Hilliis injury and fumbling concerns, that he is coming off of a torn acl, that Cleveland has an underrated offensive line that is one of the best in the league and an offense led by a second year QB who showed flashes last year and that will likely only get more productive.

So your argument for Finley (widely regarded as the best TE in FF) is that YOUR league is not a TE mandatory league. :wacko: Ok bro. I didn't know we were just talking about your league here cause every single FF player knows that Finley is NOT a sleeper in any format except yours it seems.

And anybody that knows FF, knows Hardesty was not drafted in the 2nd round to ride the pine. And every FF knows that Hillis faded down the stretch.

So from your perspective, any name that gets thrown out there is not a sleeper if that person cannot compete against your FF team? correct? So what, exactly, is the point of this thread. Cause it sure the hell isn't a sleeper thread in the truest sense of the meaning. Basically, its a "who should I pick up on the WW for my FF team" thread.

Wrong forum.

that's a lot of sleepers.

yeah, I guess you're right. but you cant say 15th or 16th round b/c that is kicker/defense, so by starting at round 12 you have 3 draft picks left before you get your kicker and defense - so I guess I am saying any player you get with the last 3 picks (not including kicker or defense).

High end potentials for a breakout season:

As some of you already know, I've attempted to snag Robiskie in as many places I can. With some reservations, but in most cases, Robiskie can be captured on the cheap. He showed signs of a potential late season rally on his numbers. He also showed he can get some seperation so look for Him and McCoy to get more and more acquainted. The addition of Little and actually think helps Robiskie.

Medium level potential for breakout season:

Dexter McCluster is a speedy little fella and going into his second year, now fully recovered, I see some potential for him to get used more and more. McCluster with his speed and slippery size will be an adjunct to Charles. With Jones getting phased out (this is my opinion), I think they will try to work McCluster into more of the option plays and passing route. Granted, Charles still get monster numbers, I think there will be plenty of work to fill in some decent fantasy numbers for a healthy McCluster.

Low end potential for a breakout season:

It's been rumored (its all over the media, who am I kidding) that Rashard Jennings will get a much bigger role in Jacksonville and with the surprise drafting of Gabbert, I can see the run game once again getting a large focus. I put Rashard Jennings as a low end, however, because sometimes (well, okay, allot) rumors are merely dust in the wind and they blow out as quick as they blow in regarding MJD's knees. I think the news will inflate Jennings trade value and you end up over paying for a #2 RB that will only have real value if and when MJD really goes down.

Taking a risk for a season breakout:

This is my pick and apparently, very few carry the same opinion but Marquez Branson, before getting injured last preseason for the Broncos was looking like a younger version of a Tony Gonzalez (A stretch I know) and it didn't take Atlanta long to grab him up and place him on their practice squad, even while out for the season. I think they will attempt to groom Marquez Branson for a replacement role for the aging Gonzalez so he may not getting allot of production this year, but could be fantasy gold in the very near future.

Edited by BearBroncos

Well to answer your question, sleepers are supposed to actually have a decent chance to perform well in fantasy leagues. Now I'll throw it back on you, how exactly is Roberts supposed to be a true sleeper, ie somebody one might expect to do well fantasy wise? A rookie, only 5'11, drafted by THE CARDINALS, good speed though short of blazing, does seem to be pretty well polished for a rookie though. In a productive offense led by a competent QB I could see a guy like that doing well, but its hard for me to believe he's got any chance at ever competing on my fantasy team with the likes of D Bowe. Lloyd, gates, etc unless something radically changes about the whole of the Cardinals offense this year.

Finley IS a potential sleeper in a league like mine, which is NOT a tight end mandatory league, and so tight ends are often times overlooked unless they have the potential to perform on a par close to that of a top WR. He also missed most of last year due to an injury, as you know I'm sure. Hardesty is talented and well known, but he's playing behind Hillis, and so is apt to be overlooked or undervalued, especially considering Hilliis injury and fumbling concerns, that he is coming off of a torn acl, that Cleveland has an underrated offensive line that is one of the best in the league and an offense led by a second year QB who showed flashes last year and that will likely only get more productive.

I completely disagree with the bolded. Sleepers are NOT supposed to perform well, exactly the opposite. They are not supposed to perform well but are surprises on the scene ,players who have talent but have not for one reasaon or another (injury ,youth, others in front of him on depth chart) performed on a higher level and this season "wake up" and outperform their draft spot. Someone drafted in the top 10 rounds of a redraft cannot be called sleepers. IMHO.

Good post. I wish I had paid more attention to Branson when he was here.

It only makes sense since they didn't look at drafting one in the draft. Granted, I'm not exactly sure who will be a free agent come the new CBA, but even if, it looks like they'll at least give him a try at the position.

I'm sure the moment the lockout is over that they're on the phone with with TG's agent making sure that he's coming back. Otherwise, they'll be heavy favorites to land someone like Zach Miller or kevin boss.

And why would they break the bank for a top free agent TE after they gave up the house for Julio Jones? I would bet that TG is coming back, but it isnt like Atlanta was a hotbed of TE greatness BEFORE they traded for TG . . :wacko:

Heck, if Bo Scaife gets cut he would be a decent stopgap TE, they dont need to spend over the top for TE, not when they have free agent offensive lineman they need to re-sign.

I dont use the term sleeper any longer, because by the time the draft hits, these so called sleepers are the most over rated players in the draft.

Im more interested in finding players who will outperform their draft position by more than 3 rounds.

Perfect example is Darren McFadden or Arian Foster from a year ago.

To a lesser extent Brandon Lloyd and Steve Johnson, though both of those will be drafted this year, long before Id ever consider pulling the trigger, so they are probably over inflated value now.

I think Finley could do this very thing. He likely wont be in the top tier of TE drafted in most local leagues, as some will stay away from him because they fear he could be injury prone, where others will look at last years numbers and career numbers and think he simply hasnt done it yet.

So your argument for Finley (widely regarded as the best TE in FF) is that YOUR league is not a TE mandatory league. :wacko: Ok bro. I didn't know we were just talking about your league here cause every single FF player knows that Finley is NOT a sleeper in any format except yours it seems.

And anybody that knows FF, knows Hardesty was not drafted in the 2nd round to ride the pine. And every FF knows that Hillis faded down the stretch.

So from your perspective, any name that gets thrown out there is not a sleeper if that person cannot compete against your FF team? correct? So what, exactly, is the point of this thread. Cause it sure the hell isn't a sleeper thread in the truest sense of the meaning. Basically, its a "who should I pick up on the WW for my FF team" thread.

Wrong forum.

Oh GMAFB Tax. Finley is "Widely regarded as the best TE in football." By WHO exactly? Because he had a stretch of 4 games at the start of last year, not he's "Widely regarded as the best" moreso than Antonio Gates (who is also on my team btw) who has been a monster year after year, so much so that he was not only doing a hell of a lot better than Finley last year, but was outperforming EVERY wide receiver in the NFL pre-injury last year as well? Finley has not shown nearly enough in the NFL to be regarded as the best of anything, and no it isn't "My league only" smart donkey, I was only thinking of my league when I created the thread and also wrote that a "sleeper" means different things to different people. But there are plenty of leagues other than my own in which tight ends are NOT mandatory.

Boy I wish you were in my league if that's your take on the Cleveland RB situation. Hillis isn't the Madden Coverboy for nothing you know, but if you wanted to trade my Hillis for Hardesty I'm pretty sure I or anyone else would do that up any day. I'll repeat that Hardesty is returning from an ACL injury. I know it happens all the time these days, but that's the same injury that not long ago was potentially career threatening. Hillis is clearly the lead back on that team headed into the season, and despite his "fade" (which anyone who knows FF also knows came following nagging injuries that he had last year) he was still the first white man since the 80s to rush for over 1000 yards, averaged 4.5 yards per carry, excelled as both a runner and receiver, scored 13 touchdowns, and is generally regarded as a BEAST to anybody who understands the game.

I already explained myself plenty, if you couldn't follow the first time when I spoke of "undervalued" versus "true sleeper" than pay closer attention, I don't have the time to waste with this bull crap writing back to you. And reread my very first post in that case where I spoke of "different formats and different definitions." Hardesty is most definitely an undervalued player for any league in which he's a free agent headed into the season, as is Finley for any league that doesn't have Mandatory tight ends. Nor did I start the thread with those players as you imply, again reread the first post and try paying attention.

Yeah compare finley's numbers side by side by gates, sure looks like a guy "the best TE" in football. Finley will be lucky to finish second to Gates if both can actually stay healthy this year. Its more like Gates is widely regarded as the best TE EVER. 1157 yards for gates the prior year, compared to 600 something for finley. Gates had 90 fantasy points last year by week 4, Finley had 1/2 of that (or is that just in MY league again, like his number's weren't destroying Finley's in every league). Finley needs to show that he can even surpass the stats of a guy like VD (which by the way he hasn't yet at any point) before he's even fit to carry Gates jock, much less be mentioned in the same breath with Gates.

Edited by Crazysight