[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ocho is at it again

flemingd

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Patriots receiver Chad Ochocinco is still settling into his new surroundings in New England, and he's taking an unusual approach to his living situation.

"I'm going to do something different, I'm actually going to stay with a fan for the first two, three weeks of the season," he said Tuesday. "That should be fun, until I get myself acclimated and learn my way around."

Ochocinco hasn't yet picked the fan.

"I'm not sure how it's going to work, but they have to have Internet and have to have Xbox," he said. "That's about it."

Asked if he was serious, Ochocinco said, "Have I ever lied to you before?"

Told there were some "crazy" fans, Ochocinco said, "I rode a bull."

Just to play devil's advocate here, isn't part of the advantage of playing a home game the fact that you spend the whole week in familiar and comfortable surroundings. I'm thinking shacking up with strangers could present unforseen circumstances and distractions. Ocho is "on" most of the time. Will he feel compelled to be "on" while he stays with these people? May be harmless. But I wouldn't say that with any certainty. I love the fact that he is willing to do it, but I'm not sold that it is a good thing.

Just to play devil's advocate here, isn't part of the advantage of playing a home game the fact that you spend the whole week in familiar and comfortable surroundings. I'm thinking shacking up with strangers could present unforseen circumstances and distractions. Ocho is "on" most of the time. Will he feel compelled to be "on" while he stays with these people? May be harmless. But I wouldn't say that with any certainty. I love the fact that he is willing to do it, but I'm not sold that it is a good thing.

it's only for 2 or 3 weeks.

I've never understood the hate on Ocho

It's that it seems so self-serving to me... It's as if he was sitting at home during the lockout pouting about not being in the spot-light anymore as a "reality" or NFL star, when the light bulb went off:

People will stay pay attention to me if I ride a bull! Then I'll go wrangle some alligators (or rattle snakes or whatever he said), and everyone will watch ME!!

Now he gets to the Pats, and he thinks, "well, I know Belichick doesn't put up with this kind of stuff, so what's something mild I can do for people to still pay attention to me without pissing him off too bad"...

Maybe that's harsh, I realize he's trying to entertain people, but he's going so over the top so often now that it's just gotten annoying (particularly ever since the ultimate self-serving T-Ocho Show and his "Who wants to date a washed up NFL clown" reality show).

As a Pats fan, I am amused by this and the tales of him driving around Boston getting "lost" on purpose in his Prius so he can ask people for directions.

On the other hand, word out of camp is that he's having some difficulty picking up the offense maybe and that he's dropping a lot of balls.

All in all, I think I'd prefer that he work on his game now, and play later.