[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Kicker's Life

wpayers

Forgetting for a second their significant paychecks for a couple of minutes of work, I would not want to be an NFL kicker. The Saints just cut Garrett Hartley for losing his mojo. And while Justin Tucker is living the high life today, there are plenty of other kickers that have recently curled up in the fetal position in some dark corner (see Gould vs Min and Feely vs StL).

Imagine your neighborhood gathering in your bedroom while your trying to make love to your wife (or fill in the blank). Half of them are rooting that you can't get hydraulics and perform. The other half has bet this month's mortgage payment on you hitting it out of the park. If that's not bad enough, your wife can hold tryouts any time she wants.

Just saying...lots of pressure and no blue pill for kickers.

Yes, those poor guys. Making hundreds of thousands a year (the best ones making upwards of $3.5 million), to do nothing but working on kicking a ball, with almost no risk of the types of injuries that are destroying other NFL player's lives for years after they stop playing. They're far more protected than even QBs are.

I mean, even Billy Cundiff still has a job after some horrible seasons, so I think you're overestimating how expendable NFL-caliber kickers are.

Only downside is playing in cities with psychopaths for fans who send death threats to them. Other than that, I've long said that an NFL kicker is one of the best jobs you could possibly have.

In 1998 Gary Anderson converted all 25 of his FG attempts and 59 of his PATs in the regular season but missed one time in the playoffs. The miss kept the Vikings from the Super Bowl that year. They talk about the miss not the ones he made.

Oh I remember that game well , I was sitting in a Seattle Airport and missed boarding my plain because I was glues to the TV set , then got drunk & took a flight 3 hours later , that game hurt more than any other :pullhair::rant: 15-1 down the drain :crybaby:

Oh I remember that game well , I was sitting in a Seattle Airport and missed boarding my plain because I was glues to the TV set , then got drunk & took a flight 3 hours later , that game hurt more than any other :pullhair::rant: 15-1 down the drain :crybaby:

Yes, and the Falcons won that game only to get smoked by Elway in the Super Bowl.

Yes, and the Falcons won that game only to get smoked by Elway in the Super Bowl.

Yes and they won it in OT with a FG from another Anderson !

Wrong frigging Anderson to make a FG :furious:

Just thinking about that game and how it went down give me heart burn right now :angry:

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

In 1998 Gary Anderson converted all 25 of his FG attempts and 59 of his PATs in the regular season but missed one time in the playoffs. The miss kept the Vikings from the Super Bowl that year. They talk about the miss not the ones he made.

Watched that game at a Buffalo Wild Wings in West St. Paul. At the conclusion of the game, I walked outside and puked in the parking lot. The funny part about that story is that I had yet to start drinking... it was quite possibly the only time in my adult life when I've vomited with no booze involved.

• Like 1

I actually have Hartley in one championship game this week. Unfortunately, that league limits waivers moves, and I used my last one on Todman last week. So, I will be playing the championship without a kicker, against a team whose QB is Newton (maybe the best QB matchup of the week), and RB's are Charles, Forte, and Stacy (PPR league). Talk about against all odds....

Edited by Gopher

I actually have Hartley in one championship game this week. Unfortunately, that league limits waivers moves, and I used my last one on Todman last week. So, I will be playing the championship without a kicker, against a team whose QB is Newton (maybe the best QB matchup of the week), and RB's are Charles, Forte, and Stacy (PPR league). Talk about against all odds....

Not that burns! And the lesson learned here is? Stuff happens. Carry 2 kicks.