[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Roger Goodell?

Team Archer

The outcry will die down. The owners back him and that is what matters. He has made them a ton of money, that is why is salary is $40 mil. You aren't getting players saying they will boycott games, picket, etc. No owner has said anything negative about him. Only players, and they have little power. I agree Goodell has not done a good job but I just have a very difficult time seeing him be ousted. The public sentiment could be far worse, it really could. In a week, it'll blow over. Heck, come Sunday, it'll blow over. I actually think it's a good thing Ravens play today. Get their game outta the way, so Sunday, we can focus on the rest of the league. Just my opinion of course.

Goodell has all ready begun to hide as he cancelled an appearance at an event last night he was supposed to speak at. I don't think this is just going to blow over. Freaking Congress is getting involved and nothing goes away once they start sticking their noses into things like this. Politicians will use this in an attempt to gain support from women voters in the upcoming months, by blasting Goodell and the NFL in general for their lack of action on domestic violence the last few years. The NFL owners will try and spin it to make Goodell the one at fault, even though they all deserve the blame.

Edited by sausagekingchi
  • Like 1

This independent investigation over the investigation is a complete joke. Who the hell do you think he works for? The firm that represents so many people within the organization its beyond a joke. And who are the two lawyers that will be watching the independent investigation over the investigation? Well ... I'll give you a hint. They are both Owners :lol::lol:

What a joke...I want an investigation

• Like 2

The VM message confirms the NFL received the tape and it was viewed. How is that not proof?

As I said, I didn't read an indepth story from the AP, but what evidence (think court of law) was presented? A VM message, that somehow proves it came from an NFL number? Was all this verfied by the top notch reporters that rush to get their stories out, or just accepting their source as reliable?

Here is what I'm reading, how much of that is verified fact and how much is just this law enforcement official making a statement

But a law enforcement official told the Associated Press he sent a video of Rice punching Janay Palmer, now Rice's wife, to an NFL executive five months ago. The law enforcement official also played the AP a 12-second voicemail from an NFL office number on April 9 confirming the video arrived. A female voice expresses thanks and says: "You're right. It's terrible."

The same official admits he wasn't supposed to give them the video but did anyway. And this the reputable source people are believing (because they want to believe it).

You have one thing right, this isn't a criminal proceeding, and the court of public opinion can reach all sorts of incorrect conclusions. Doesn't make them right.

I notice now that several places are saying that this info from the AP means the NFL "may have" had the video, or that it "could mean they had it in April". Silly me I want facts before I form my lynch mob.

I agree jail time is not happening. His now wife didn't press any charges.

Agrred, most of it isn't about punishing Rice anymore. His wife doesn't want to pursue it legally and hes banned from the NFL indefinitely so the ire is now aimed purely at the people running the league over a possible cover-up.

I agree jail time is not happening. His now wife didn't press any charges.

Rice got what just about every first time offender got (and should get) - pre-trial diversion with mandatory therapy. He might be surprised how much he can get out of a good therapy program. There's no place in society for someone that chronically abuses ANYONE, but everyone makes mistakes in isolated incidents and deserves a chance to pay their price, exonerate themselves, and move on. If it turns out he's got bigger issues then by all means fry him at that time, but until then this needs to be put to rest.

• Like 3

This independent investigation over the investigation is a complete joke. Who the hell do you think he works for? The firm that represents so many people within the organization its beyond a joke. And who are the two lawyers that will be watching the independent investigation over the investigation? Well ... I'll give you a hint. They are both Owners :lol::lol:

What a joke...I want an investigation

Those owners have no particular loyalty to Goodell. This is a top-10 job in the world to have, they can get a bajillion qualified people to replace him and do just as well. If they determine that either (1) he did anything to exacerbate the issue; or (2) He's become more trouble than replacing him would be; then he's gone. I think #2 is now a foregone conclusion, but they prefer it to happen quietly, over the offseason, and this investigation is just a mechanism for slowing the machine and buying time to get there.

Once again, I see no point in looking at this like we are in a court of law. You know why? BECAUSE WE ARE NOT!

I'm confident in my ability to connect the dots and I'm well aware of the types of people we are dealing with. If you want to pretend they are Cub Scouts and innocent until proven guilty, feel free to do so. I go into this knowing what these guys are all about and in a situation like this it's about doing what they can to cover their behinds.

Why would the LEO do this unless it was true? What would his end-game or purpose be? What would he accomplish by trying to expose the commissioner's office with a lie like this? Is it possible this LEO is crazy and just wants to start problems? Sure, but I find it far more likely that the NFL would be involved a cover-up to protect themselves and their billions of dollars. I've personally seen corruption in college football and the lengths people will go to cover their butts and to hell with those that get hurt along the way. College programs, no matter how big, are mere chump change compared to the NFL.

Did you happen to watch Goodell's interview? Did you not see through the multiple lies and contradictions? To paraphrase one of his bs talking points, according to Gooddell they've been looking into the problem with domestic violence for years in the NFL, studying it and talking with experts on how to handle it. Over the last few years they've had nearly 20 domestic violence cases involving players. What did the NFL do? Nothing, because they didn't care because no one was talking about it. Now that this Rice incident has blown up all of a sudden they care deeply about this problem. They take action once they get questioned, not before and when they could have helped those women before they became victims. They didn't care that multiple women got the crap kicked out of them until it became necessary for them to look like they cared. Now we've got more sources saying they were present in the room when Ray Rice told Goodell exactly what happened and Goodell knew what happened even before seeing Monday's tape. Yet he still went with a 2 game suspension (not to mention Rice also told the Ravens exactly what happened and they still did the "he's a great guy" act/spin and didn't release him UNTIL the public saw what he did). Then whether it was mounting public pressure or if the NFL caught wind that the other tape was going to be made public, Goodell comes out with his new firm stance against domestic abuse. Is he trying to do the right thing or is this just another attempt to do damage control?

Don't worry though, the NFL has hired someone to do an independent investigation to see how this tape Goodell and anyone in their office claims to have never seen until Monday got overlooked. It will be led by none other than former FBI Director Robert Mueller III, a man with connections to the NFL and in particular the Baltimore Ravens, who no doubt will be impartial. But just to make sure he is doing his job we've got two guys overseeing his impartial and independent investigation. Never mind that these two guys are current NFL owners Art Rooney & John Mara who happen to have billions of dollars invested in the NFL, I'm sure they will do the right thing regardless if the truth hurts their investment or not. This is as big a crock of an investigation as the Paterno families private and independent investigation of the Freeh report. Yeah, both totally independent and impartial.

Once again, I see no point in looking at this like we are in a court of law. You know why? BECAUSE WE ARE NOT!

That's a nice looking pitchfork in your hand my friend. Have all these people with you come for refreshments?

• Like 1

It really doesn't matter if Goodell loses his job and has to survive on the hundreds of millions he surely has stashed in a swill bank account - or wherever the new safe haven is.

I think the big takaway from all this is yes, we have a commissioner who will lie to our faces, and has no qualms about it. But we elect these kinds of people to public office over and over again. So bit surprise. This is how business is done in this country.

And we also know that we are dealing with a hypocrite, guilty of the same sort of shortcomings (worse) than Sean Payton - who was nailed to the NFL's proverbial cross.

We have given ultimate power to a man who is probably not worthy of it. Welcome to America 2014.

• Like 1

This is a very good article by Dan Levy on the whole discussion. Provides great points.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2193974-roger-goodell-probably-should-be-fired-but-he-wont-be-not-for-this

I believe Ray Rice indefinite ban is appropriate. Obviously, Roger Goodell needs to look across the board at his offences/punishments and develop a logically ethical scale. The owners need to be held with as much scrutiny as the commissioner for their punishments for unethical offences.

Its important to note, Its hard to pass a severe judgement on someone you have either personal and/or professional investment. Ravens released Rice to protect the franchise only after society (whether a football fan or not) demanded this action. Roger Goodell piggy back with the ban to protect the league.

Indefinite means just that, undetermined period of time. Its not a definite ban... He'll be back after this season is my guess.

Mistakes were made and corrected, let's get back to football.

• Like 1

http://espn.go.com/n...ell-gone-ground

Agree with this article. Goodell has gone missing which is making the NFL look rudderless and lost without a leader.

That's a good article and worth the read. It's easy to say Goodell's vanishing act is bad, but if in truth he has no idea what he's doing it's probably better from a damage control perspective. It's not like the light is suddenly turning on and he's going to "get" how to handle this moving forward.

"I haven't given it much thought" - Sean Payton when asked his opinion on the Rice/Goodell ordeal.

He's still trying to figure out how they lost to the Browns ;)

I'm sure he's smiling at the pressure on Goodell, but he's a professional and a smart guy, no reason to say anything publicly. Did the press expect a Nelson Muntz "Ha-Ha"