[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bryce Brown vs Anthony Dixon

Suture

with how you worded your post I didn't think it was sarcasm.

Neither did I and appears I didn't need to waste my time responding to it.

So if you're going to post sarcastic stuff that sounds like a real commentary on the discussion, include a ;) or other indication your are being sarcastic.

• Like 1

I think I get it.

So if Brown CAN play ST, he's good for 100 yards and 2 TD's every game.

If he cannot, he's the 2nd string RB.

Right? :shrug:

Yeah I've skimmed this thread and am thoroughly confused myself.

It's simple... Brown was not active every week because he didn't play special teams. They carried 3 RBs.

2 of those RBs are now out for multiple weeks if not the season.

Brown will be active along with Dixon. Special teams abilities no longer come into play. They need 2 healthy/active RBs (at minimum).

Dixon has some skills but is more of a banger. Brown fits the offense MUCH better. The guy's a potential stud.

I liken it alot to the MIN situation. Dixon will get some carries as the sure-handed cat (Asiata), but Brown is the burner that can make plays (McKinnon).

I own Dixon in a league and am tempted to start him based on potential opportunities this week, but think that Brown is the one to own in the next 2-4 weeks.

I'm actually a little worried in leagues where I own F-Jax that his participation level may drop if Brown is the real deal.

• Like 2

64 teamer? :unsure:

:lol: Inherited a dynasty team with him on it, with a 1-year deal. I was trying to score F-Jax in that league (got J. Bell instead) and just never dropped him. Would have cost me a dead year against my total so figured I'd just keep him around.

With BUF's track record of using 2 RBs quite heavily, I decided he was worth it.

Perhaps, but if Brown still has the fumblitis he showed in Philly, Jackson won't be able to get back in the lineup fast enough.

I hear that - and am hopeful of it. :unsure:

Didn't we hear all this special teams noise when wondering why cj andseron was inactive too? Then it turns out he wasn't the other broncos rb to own. Im surprised nobody had mentioned that Bryce brown has fumble-itis and once he starts coughing it up he'll likely get benched. To me Dixon is the better pickup as he's a better pass protector and has no fumbling issues. Brown has more upside but I think Dixon gets first crack at this job.

Edited by Football Follies

I am still not clear on what Brown's role will be on special teams. Can any homer clarify???

Are you being serious as someone in a league that offers points for return yardage?

Or are you just trying to stir the pot and confuse everyone even more?

I'm not sure if it really matters much unless you're in a league that offers points for return yardage.

And from some pretty simple checking around it would appear that the Bills have plenty of options in terms of PR/KR.

Are you looking for Brown to get special teams tackles or something?

:blink:

I drafted Brown in my league with my last pick figuring Spiller would go down in week 3 or 4. I was fortunate enough that my team has done well and I was able to hold him as a stash. I do think that Brown will hold the job for the rest of the year as the Bills management will use this time to decide if he can be the back in 2015 or do they go back to Spiller (a free agent). With Watkins keeping defenses honest, Brown has a chance to succeed. At worse, if he has two good weeks, I can trade him to the Spiller owner.

Was able to get Brown on Waivers, Dixon was also signed. Guess I was a little lucky, I was 3rd in priority and the other owners in front of me were picking up D (PHI) and WR (Baldwin). I'm not hoping for a lot, but he jumps into my starting lineup this week ahead of my group of duds. Hopefully this works out better than my Bolden add and start last week. :bag:

I see a lot of speculation about Brown going against the Jets run"D" , and then he is on a bye. Granted Jackson will be out for a while so if all goes as predicted Brown will have a nice workload. Once Jackson comes back how will Brown be then? I am wondering because Spiller wasn't doing all that great complementing Jackson, is there some reason Brown will do better?

Anthony Dixon was working as the Bills' starting running back at Wednesday's practice.

Dixon ran with Kyle Orton's group, while Bryce Brown worked alongside E.J. Manuel with the No. 2 offense. It's not a huge surprise, as Dixon has been ahead of Brown on the depth chart all season. And we project this backfield to open as a timeshare in Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller's absence. But we still prefer Brown as the add off the waiver wire, though both need to be owned. Brown can hit the home run, while Dixon is merely a plodder who's going to average 3.5-4.0 YPC. Both backs have a tough matchup Week 8 against the Jets, anyway.

After doing some research the story seems to be this:

Brown has the skills to be the starting back but has fumble issues as seen in camp and in games he's played and is one of the biggest reasons Philly dumped him. If you look back on his game with Philly he did the deadly deuce, fumbled and got the QB killed. Pass blocking issue is death to a potential starting running back. The staff loves Dixon for some reason, maybe because he is solid in pass protection, can take on LB's blitzing and hit the hole with power. He isn't going to break off long runs but he will run over people. I'm grabbing Dixon on the hunch that he will be in on enough plays and at the goal line to warrant roster value. What I do know about the NFL is that if you can't pass block and put the ball on the ground, you can't be on the field period. Brown may have a ways to go before becoming a true starter.

Edited by Cowboyz1

After doing some research the story seems to be this:

Brown has the skills to be the starting back but has fumble issues as seen in camp and in games he's played and is one of the biggest reasons Philly dumped him. If you look back on his game with Philly he did the deadly deuce, fumbled and got the QB killed. Pass blocking issue is death to a potential starting running back. The staff loves Dixon for some reason, maybe because he is solid in pass protection, can take on LB's blitzing and hit the hole with power. He isn't going to break off long runs but he will run over people. I'm grabbing Dixon on the hunch that he will be in on enough plays and at the goal line to warrant roster value. What I do know about the NFL is that if you can't pass block and put the ball on the ground, you can't be on the field period. Brown may have a ways to go before becoming a true starter.

Regarding Brown and his potential usage. The coaches kept decreasing Spiler's carries this year because he was pressing too much and always trying to hit the home run. Instead of taking the 3 yards when he it was there - he'd try to break it outside.

The issues the coaches were having with Spiller - seem reminiscent of Brown's time in Philly plus the ball security issues. I think everyone agrees that Brown is the more interesting talent - but the coaching staff might view Dixon as the better fit because he's not trying to bounce everything to the outside.

The above conjecture might be completely off base -- but they seemed so frustrated with Spiller - that if they had been happy with Brown, or thought he would've been better, I think that he would've got some carries just to see how he'd do.

ETA: but maybe i'm underestimating how tough it would've been to activate him considering his lack of special teams contribution. It just seems that the way Spiller was struggling, that they would've found a way to test-drive Brown in a game situation if they thought he'd be the answer.

Edited by Grogansghost

Regarding Brown and his potential usage. The coaches kept decreasing Spiler's carries this year because he was pressing too much and always trying to hit the home run. Instead of taking the 3 yards when he it was there - he'd try to break it outside.

The issues the coaches were having with Spiller - seem reminiscent of Brown's time in Philly plus the ball security issues. I think everyone agrees that Brown is the more interesting talent - but the coaching staff might view Dixon as the better fit because he's not trying to bounce everything to the outside.

The above conjecture might be completely off base -- but they seemed so frustrated with Spiller - that if they had been happy with Brown, or thought he would've been better, I think that he would've got some carries just to see how he'd do.

Exactly what I was thinking. They have had Brown on the bench for 7 weeks plus training camp. If they thought he had overcome his issues with pass protections and ball security while giving them some juice out of the backfield they would have used him already. I just get the feeling that they are going to give Dixon every opportunity to take over this job. Teams just don't sit a quality running back for no reason if they think he can play. Right now there is a premium on pass protection with Fitz as you can see he's prone to giving the ball up when he is sacked.

Quote from Brown

"I think that’s something that I personally will have to spend a little more time on this week learning and understanding just because I haven’t had the chance to rep it as much not playing,” Brown admitted. “As far as pass protection and recognizing defenses and picking up blitzes that’s not something I’m uncomfortable doing. I’ve done it before and it shouldn’t be an issue.”

All I need to hear to say Dixon is the guy for now.

Edited by Cowboyz1

It may be presumptuous, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that it'll end up being Dixon = F-Jax and Brown = Spiller.

I mean, it almost makes too much sense. Sure, Jackson probably has more wiggle and speed than Dixon, but both are the surer-handed guys that are solid in pass protection.

Spiller and Brown are the home run guys with killer pedigree but have "issues".

I've changed my stance a bit. I've put my bids in for Dixon #1 with the contingency bid being Brown.

Exactly what I was thinking. They have had Brown on the bench for 7 weeks plus training camp. If they thought he had overcome his issues with pass protections and ball security while giving them some juice out of the backfield they would have used him already. I just get the feeling that they are going to give Dixon every opportunity to take over this job. Teams just don't sit a quality running back for no reason if they think he can play. Right now there is a premium on pass protection with Fitz as you can see he's prone to giving the ball up when he is sacked.

Quote from Brown

"I think that’s something that I personally will have to spend a little more time on this week learning and understanding just because I haven’t had the chance to rep it as much not playing,” Brown admitted. “As far as pass protection and recognizing defenses and picking up blitzes that’s not something I’m uncomfortable doing. I’ve done it before and it shouldn’t be an issue.”

All I need to hear to say Dixon is the guy for now.

Fitz ? Isn't he the QB in Houston now, and Manuel (backup Orton) the starter in BUF? ;)

Dixon may be the guy now, maybe not. With Jackson out about 4 weeks and Spiller out until week 16 at least (IR designated for return) that leaves a wide open compeitition for most of the rest of the season (fantasy regular season at least). Either one could be the lead guy, both probably have value. I debated the two, Tuesday night when waivers had to be put it Brown seemed the better long term option.

edited to correct Jackson status, NOT out for the year, but just 4 weeks.

Edited by stevegrab

With Jackson done for the year

Where did you hear this little tidbit? Last I saw he was given a 4 week timetable.

ETA: I thought it was 2-4 weeks, when in actuality I saw that it is a 4 week timetable for his return.

Edited by SeductiveNun

Where did you hear this little tidbit? Last I saw he was given a 4 week timetable.

ETA: I thought it was 2-4 weeks, when in actuality I saw that it is a 4 week timetable for his return.

I thought I read that multiple places, let me see if I can dig it up...

Ok, I think I misunderstood a comment I saw saying "it was safe to cut him" as well as that action (dropped) happening in my league. Also edited my original post...

Edited by stevegrab