[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Of all the Players Likely to Retire...

Duchess Jack

Who all do you feel will make the best commentators?

And who - if anyone - will likely to make the best coach?

I was playing Madden 04 last night...franchise....and somewhere around year 5 - my coach retires and who is out there looking for a coaching job? Jeff Garcia.

My wife said he just wanted to keep his access to the locker room... without things looking too weird...

((edited to add that total access has done everyone a great favor in letting us know who all will not work ala Gary 'makes dickerson sound eloquent' Baxter))

Edited by Duchess Jack

I think Doug Flutie would make a he|| of a good commentator. I've seen him in interviews before, and he comes across very well!! :D

Joe Gibbs would make a good one! Heck IMO Darrell Waltrip could come over from NASCAR and boogety boogety boogety could do way better than what's there now....(he's retired or is that retarded?

Last but not least Bill Parcells isn't long for Texas and would make a great/honest commentator with knowledge... :D

michael strahan!  We need commentators that understand defense and can break down a play.

800635[/snapback]

I don't even listen to what he's saying. All I see is THE GAP!!!! :D

I think Bettis would make a decent commentator.

801529[/snapback]

Warren Sapp would too. I think he should retire from the Raiders and become a play by play man for fox. Then that will enable fox to tie Chris Collinsworth to a poll at whichever stadium they are broadcasting from. When the opposing team scores fans can throw whatever they would like at him all at once. I think that would make it a little better when opposing teams scored against yours.

As trends go, its almost never the superstar players that become good coaches, so this is incredibly difficult to predict. Off the top of my head, a couple guys that jump out at me as possible future head coaches are Isaac Bruce and John Lynch. They both have that ability to remain calm and focused at all times, and both are technicians and perfectionists.

Oh yeah and of course I forgot Deion.

If I acquired an NFL franchise, I would hire Corey Chavous to head up the player personnel dept. That guy did an amazing job analyzing the rookie draft. I would be shocked if he doesn't end up in that role for a team as soon as he retires.

Rich Gannon would make a great QB coach or maybe an OC eventually.

Not sure how he would do.  He is pretty witty in his interviews, but I have a feeling when he retires he's just going to walk away.  I don't see TV in his future.

802725[/snapback]

Agreed. I would be disappointed to see him in a commentator role. Its his life and money and all - so you can't knock the guy for a second career. But the step down would take some shine off ala Marino.