[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Taylor facing jail time?

Puddy

Redskins' Taylor faces possible jail sentence

Story Tools: Print Email

Associated Press

Posted: 15 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP) - Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor would face a minimum prison sentence of three years if convicted on charges of pointing a gun during a dispute about an all-terrain vehicle.

A trial date was set for Sept. 12, the day after the Redskins open their season.

State prosecutors filed charges Friday against the 22-year-old former University of Miami star. He faces a single count of aggravated assault with a firearm, said Michael Greico, assistant state attorney.

Taylor allegedly was among a group of people who got into a June 1 armed confrontation over a vehicle the player and his associates believed had been stolen. Another man in the group, 19-year-old Charles Caughman, also faces aggravated assault charges. He is accused of threatening and chasing someone with a baseball bat.

Taylor, the No. 5 overall draft pick by the Redskins in 2004, did not appear in court and has filed a written plea of not guilty.

His attorney, Edward Carhart, said his client hoped to avoid charges after meeting with prosecutors voluntarily and presenting polygraph test results the lawyer said clear Taylor of wrongdoing. Polygraph results usually are not admissible in court.

Greico said the charges involve three victims. He would not comment on the substance of the case but said Taylor faces a maximum prison term of 16 years.

Taylor signed a seven-year, $18 million deal with the Redskins after he was drafted. The team has excused him from further offseason practices and meetings so he can concentrate on his case.

Taylor was charged with drunken driving in October after attending a birthday party for receiver Rod Gardner. Those charges were dismissed, but Taylor was convicted for refusing to take a blood-alcohol test.

Taylor also has fired two agents, was fined for skipping one day of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium and was accused of spitting on a player during a game at Cincinnati.

Guest THEbigred
Looks like he might end up being an example for all these idiots who think rules don't apply to them. Another all world talent with a 2 cent brain.  :D

853167[/snapback]

Yeah there's something new in pro sports :D

Please let his skinny butt land in jail with a Tex Cobb clone - longer the better.

I don't think he'll land in prison for that. My educated guess is lengthly probation and possibly a short jail term. Still a dumb a$$ move.

edit: If convicted

853280[/snapback]

You could be right ...but I have just moved to FL recently (sick of the midwest winters) and have seen a lot of ads about these new gun laws, it seems like they are really trying to send a message. 5 years for pulling a gun on someone minimum, so we'll see if there is any 'bite' to this 'bark'.

Here's a thread from way back on June 3rd, which discusses this incident with Sean Taylor in depth if you want to read it. It gives detail on FL laws and has links specifically on Florida's 10-20-Life gun laws put in by Gov Jeb Bush.

Taylor WILL be sentenced to three years if he's convicted...There are no If's...And's...or But's...about it.

Sean Taylor, "Person of interest"

Here's another thread on Sean Taylor from June 7th. Discusses how the Skins are currently handling him with the legal troubles hanging over his head.

Skins tell Sean Taylor to STAY AWAY, Excused from all offseason work

Edited by Big Score 1

I don't think he'll land in prison for that. My educated guess is lengthly probation and possibly a short jail term. Still a dumb a$$ move.

853280[/snapback]

That was my first thought too.

Here's a thread from way back on June 3rd, which discusses this incident with Sean Taylor in depth if you want to read it. It gives detail on FL laws and has links specifically on Florida's 10-20-Life gun laws put in by Gov Jeb Bush.

Taylor WILL be sentenced to three years if he's convicted...There are no If's...And's...or But's...about it.

Sean Taylor, "Person of interest"

Here's another thread on Sean Taylor from June 7th. Discusses how the Skins are currently handling him with the legal troubles hanging over his head.

Skins tell Sean Taylor to STAY AWAY, Excused from all offseason work

853759[/snapback]

I guess i wasn't considering the law differential between WI & FL

853280[/snapback]

If convicted it's mandatory jail time.

Misdemeanor charges have been dropped.  They're only pursuing the felony charge now.

854505[/snapback]

As of Friday they had a single felony count incorporating all three alleged victims of the gun pointing and one misdemeanor count for the fist fight ...

Redskins' Taylor Charged With Assault and Battery

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 24, 2005; 10:17 AM

MIAMI, June 24 -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was formally charged this morning with one felony count of aggravated assault with a firearm and one misdemeanor count of simple battery for his role in a June 1 confrontation in a Miami neighborhood.

The charges were announced by the Miami-Dade state attorney's office at Taylor's arraignment.

As of Friday they had a single felony count incorporating all three alleged victims of the gun pointing and one misdemeanor count for the fist fight ...

Redskins' Taylor Charged With Assault and Battery

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 24, 2005; 10:17 AM

MIAMI, June 24 -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was formally charged this morning with one felony count of aggravated assault with a firearm and one misdemeanor count of simple battery for his role in a June 1 confrontation in a Miami neighborhood.

The charges were announced by the Miami-Dade state attorney's office at Taylor's arraignment.

854524[/snapback]

My bad. I must have misheard the guy on the radio... or the guy on the radio was wrong.