[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

unions suck

dmarc117

DETROIT (AP) -- In the end, the first nationwide strike against General Motors Corp. in 37 years came because the United Auto Workers want something that GM will find difficult to promise: Job security.

no sh1t!! so does everyone else!! but guess what jackasses, you can't guarantee certain things!! especially when u dont have a college degree and are in competition with someone that will do your job for 25 cents on the dollar! wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Edited by dmarc117

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no sh1t!! so does everyone else!! but guess what jackasses, you can guarantee certain things!! especially when u dont have a college degree and are in competition with someone that will do your job for 25 cents on the dollar! wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!

GM should pull a Reagan and hire a whole new work force at those plants that have struck. Would take a few weeks to train them which would be about as long as the UAW will strike. Hire them for $14 an hour with average man bennies and they'll be happier then a pig in doughnuts.

I guarantee you that if GM fired the union workers, over 70% would be re-hired as non-union workers. I tour the Corvette/Cadillac plant in Bowling Green, KY every year and these may be the most overpaid, under-worked people in the history of employment. A monkey with a screwdriver could do most of their work. Most tours, the workers are sitting down and the line is stopped because they get like an 18 minute, 34 second break every half hour.

Good luck finding ANY job today with job security and a retirement package. They no longer exist.

Edited by TimC

It might help to actually read an article instead of diktard's unreferenced one-line quote.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070924/bs_nm/gm_uaw_dc

This is not a ploy to get more money. It's a possible strike to keep GM from taking away previously guaranteed benefits. Whether or not they deserve them is a matter for the two groups to work out.

Edited by AtomicCEO

It might help to actually read an article instead of diktard's unreferenced one-line quote.

This is not a ploy to get more money. It's a possible strike to keep GM from taking away previously guaranteed benefits. Whether or not they deserve them is a matter for the two groups to work out.

Atomic, I understand your sentiment, but the point remains that unions seriously hamper the auto industry's ability to compete. I think the idea of unions was needed and is a good one, but the implementation of the unions has turned bad in ways that are reminiscent of the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I spoke to a guy that had a union worker he has been trying to fire for 5 years. The worker knows the rules and manipulates them to stay in a job he sucks at. You have to have 6 months of negative reports on a union employee to fire them. However, if that employee takes a LOA due to medical or some such, the whole thing starts over. The slacker takes a LOA every 5 months.

If you grew up in the Auto Industry then you know it pretty well. My dad and many other we know worked for GM (My dad) and then of course Ford and Chrysler for 20 andit was good to our families for the most part except when they struck in the early 80's. My dad relayed all of the stories about not even being at work and getting paid. Leaving to go play softball and coming back plus all the stories about workers getting "hurt" right before the summer and getting healthy at the end of the summer, those are just a few stories.

Obviously that's changed a lot over the past 10 years but there is still an immense amount of fat. I will say that these workers making these salaries have also fed the other parts of our ecomony but it's not time to scale it back to the size it should be. Hopefully other things like College Tuition, cost of cars and homes, etc... will scale back as well. We know homes are, hopefully cars will as the industry gets healthier but who knows about Tuition and other industries.

ok toaster boy......

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/715147.html

Union members walked out, they said, because they want GM to promise that cars and trucks such as the replacement for the Chevrolet Cobalt small car or the still-on-the-drawing board Chevrolet Volt plug-in electric car will be built at U.S. plants.

global competition is here to stay. people need to realize this and buck up. union workers got used to lofty wages and a pretty good life. well thats over with. they need to accept that.

I agree. Ban all unions. Down with OSHA. Down with the EPA. Down with worker safety. Down with clean air and clean water. More firestone tires on the roads. More lead paint in our kids toys. We've got to be able to compete with China here people! Screw the little guy. More profits for the investor. :D

ok toaster boy......

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/715147.html

global competition is here to stay. people need to realize this and buck up. union workers got used to lofty wages and a pretty good life. well thats over with. they need to accept that.

re read it momo its not about the money ....

I challenge anyone who is not a teacher to try it for 2 weeks. Yall would run back to your day job in a NY minute.

I'd like for teachers to try working the whole summer or past 3:30 like that person with the day job in NY. :D

I'd like for teachers to try working the whole summer or past 3:30 like that person with the day job in NY. :D

I taught 31 years, only 3 summers off, averaged over 45 hours per week at school (some days were 7am-10pm), and probably spent 5-10 hours a week at home doing homework, curriculum, staying current/improving skills, and more. Yeah it's an easy job. :D

I taught 31 years, only 3 summers off, averaged over 45 hours per week at school (some days were 7am-10pm), and probably spent 5-10 hours a week at home doing homework, curriculum, staying current/improving skills, and more. Yeah it's an easy job. :D

I've taken the past couple of summers off to stay home with my son. I spent the other summers going back to school, updating and researching my classroom's behavior management system, and learning how to teach two grade levels curric at the same time. The average burnout rate for a teacher in my type of classroom is one and a half years. I've learned to take care of myself so I can keep at it. Year number eight in a self-contained behavior room... and I still love it. :D

Like the car builders, these people think they are more important than they really are. Most are just higher paid babysitters.

I hope this is a serious attempt at humor? Although not very funny, the attempt at sarcasm is felt throughout your sentiments. Like the others have said, try it for 2 weeks. See whatcha think tough guy.

I work 40 plus hours a week during the summer too, by the way, that's because the pay is not so hot in being a teacher.

I've taken the past couple of summers off to stay home with my son. I spent the other summers going back to school, updating and researching my classroom's behavior management system, and learning how to teach two grade levels curric at the same time. The average burnout rate for a teacher in my type of classroom is one and a half years. I've learned to take care of myself so I can keep at it. Year number eight in a self-contained behavior room... and I still love it. :D

Kudos teach! :D:wacko:

A good friend of mine's wife did 20 years w/ profound EMH (10years) and then EMH self contained (10years). She's now retired. His daughter did 12 w/ EMH self contained, but changed to social studies this year. Yup, she burned out.

I hope this is a serious attempt at humor? Although not very funny, the attempt at sarcasm is felt throughout your sentiments. Like the others have said, try it for 2 weeks. See whatcha think tough guy.

I work 40 plus hours a week during the summer too, by the way, that's because the pay is not so hot in being a teacher.

You think babysitting a bunch of spoiled kids and following a text book is harder than other jobs in the workforce? Puh-lease. Try digging a ditch for 2 weeks. Try building a house for 2 weeks and see if the air-conditioned job you enjoy is still as difficult as you think.

You think babysitting a bunch of spoiled kids and following a text book is harder than other jobs in the workforce? Puh-lease. Try digging a ditch for 2 weeks. Try building a house for 2 weeks and see if the air-conditioned job you enjoy is still as difficult as you think.

2 weeks..... :D I worked in industry for 4+ years. Air conditioned??? :D Yeah, I forgot, most machine shops and steel fab shops are air-conditioned....we opened the overhead door! :wacko: