[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

This is great! I love Favre, not as much as Madden of course, but this is great for the game! Can you imagine Favre in the Silver and Black..I guess us Raider fans can only dream... :wacko:

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A trade to Atlanta or maybe Tampa would seem to be the best situation, moreso Tampa for Favre because they are in a better situation to make a playoff run. However, I hope that the Packers won't try to hold out for too much in a trade. How much is a 38 year old qb worth these days? 5th rounder tops.

Any AFC teams need a qb? Dolphins, Jets, Ravens, Chiefs?

Well, anyway, we now have our OFFICIAL 2008 OFFSEASON STORY OF THE YEAR. ALL FAVRE--ALL DAY LONG. Let the beating-of-the-dead-horse continue. :wacko:

I respect Favres accomplishments and what he has done for the game but I honestly dont feel he can lead a team to the promised land anymore. Chucking up wing and a prayer passes when you feel pressure is a percentage game that always catches up to you. If anything maybe a team that is close that has a good running game and D but is weak at qb will give him a shot. A team like the Jags perhaps

im fishing for h8tank

Interesting story from Jay Glazer:

It seems that Brett Favre isn't getting his way in Green Bay anymore.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

"The finality of (Favre's) decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the team said in a statement released Friday. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

Green Bay would likely trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.

Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting, Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.

In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.

Rodgers' backup? :wacko:

That's the only line in the story that calls its credibility into question. If the Packers are so pro-Rodgers now, there's no WAY they would let Favre stand on the sideline every game. The pressure on Rodgers would be ridiculous.

If the rest of true, I really don't blame the Packers for snubbing him at this point. I also don't really blame Favre -- if his worst crime is being a 38-year-old football legend who spends his springs feeling uncertain about his playing future, then he's still okay in my book. :D

Tampa could get Favre and Kevin Jones. That woud be interesting.

The Tampa Tribune believes Bucs coach Jon Gruden will "be first in line" in the Brett Favre bidding if the Packers take him off reserve/retired.

Gruden got Bucs management to give up a draft pick for waffling QB Jake Plummer, so think of what he'd get them to part with for Favre. We're not sure if Gruden and Favre were at all close when Gruden coached the Green Bay wide receivers from 1994-1995, but they do have some history. For what it's worth, we don't think there's a better fit across the league.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Honestly, I think it would be a nightmare if Favre came to the Vikings. They would have to be ready to totally scrap the Tarvaris project 100% in order to bring Favre in as the obvious starter. And frankly most of the Vikes fans would be downright hostile towards someone who will forever be a Packer at heart. Each game with Favre as the Vikings QB against the Packers would come with incredible scrutiny of each and every pass to make sure that Favre doesn't just roll over and take a record-breaking sack for someone he likes... or throws an interception to kill a possible game winning drive. It just wouldn't be a good fit.

Heck, swap out "Jackson" and "Vikings" for "Packers" and "Rodgers" and it's pretty close to the same damn scenario.

Imagine the outcry if McCarthy declared the starting job wide open and "may the best man win."

I respect Favres accomplishments and what he has done for the game but I honestly dont feel he can lead a team to the promised land anymore. Chucking up wing and a prayer passes when you feel pressure is a percentage game that always catches up to you. If anything maybe a team that is close that has a good running game and D but is weak at qb will give him a shot. A team like the Jags perhaps

im fishing for h8tank

He was 2nd in the MVP voting last year... Even if you think some of the votes were sentimental, the guy can still play.

He was 2nd in the MVP voting last year... Even if you think some of the votes were sentimental, the guy can still play.

I don't think anyone is questioning his ability.

What we're questioning is his decision-making. :wacko:

Wait, let me be more clear - what we're questioning, at this point in time, is his OFF-SEASON decision-making.

We're not sure if Gruden and Favre were at all close when Gruden coached the Green Bay wide receivers from 1994-1995, but they do have some history. For what it's worth, we don't think there's a better fit across the league.

Wasn't Gruden the guy who went and picked Favre up at the airport and Favre thought he was a taxi driver or something?

I don't think anyone is questioning his ability.

What we're questioning is his decision-making. :wacko:

Wait, let me be more clear - what we're questioning, at this point in time, is his OFF-SEASON decision-making.

Chavez has stated everything really well in all of his posts here, I completely agree with his posts.

So this off season Favre has retired, contacted TT and MM about coming back, they were to welcome him back, he then has a change of heart... A few months later he changes his mind again and the Packers are supposed to just go with it?

Mooch on Favre

So the fact is right now he feels he can play like he would like to play, but after his conference call Tuesday, with the Packers, Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and Bus Cook his agent. He just got the feeling that they were moving on. And that's been the company line from them, you've heard that from Ted Thompson, you've heard that from (Mike) McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers has said that, that seems like their company line that they are moving on, and he understands that. He said, I get it, I understand that, you can go in to the future with a younger quarterback. Just tell me what you're going to do because I do feel like I can play and I want to play. And if it's not for the Packers then at least give me a chance to go somewhere else and play."

:wacko: Does anyone else see a little irony in the bolded statement?

He played there 16 years; you were his quarterbacks coach the first four years, are Brett's feelings hurt?

"The difference between this offseason and the last few, Brett felt like he was wanted, they didn't want him to retire, they would ask him hey, we would like you to be back, come on back, we need you for another year, we have a good young team, come on back. That did not occur this offseason, he said. He said he doesn't feel like they were of the mindset. He felt that they were sort of OK with him retiring and ready to move on and I think human nature would tell you that you'd rather be wanted. ..."

So, because Thompson and McCarthy didn't ask him to come back, his feeling were hurt?

Really, maybe this all sounds wrong to me...buuut one would hope Favre is keeping abreast of this, calling all the people who are speaking for him (because he hasn't uttered one f*cking peep) and telling them "shut the hell up, you make me sound like a whiny little girl."

Mooch on Favre

:wacko: Does anyone else see a little irony in the bolded statement?

So, because Thompson and McCarthy didn't ask him to come back, his feeling were hurt?

Really, maybe this all sounds wrong to me...buuut one would hope Favre is keeping abreast of this, calling all the people who are speaking for him (because he hasn't uttered one f*cking peep) and telling them "shut the hell up, you make me sound like a whiny little girl."

Favre has been playing games for years now... With his comments about not learning a new offense, complaining about surrounding him with talent, and his non stopped retirement talk... I don't know why we're suprised by this...

And as far as your last statement, I was thinking more along the lines of whiny little bitch, but little girl works as well.

I agree that from a Business prospective, Wilf will want to go after Brett with guns blazing if it meant a run at the SB and a new stadium deal. As a Vikings fan, I would have some really mixed emotions if he were to come to MN. I obviously want my team to win, and Brett would be an instant upgrade over Tavaris Jackson, but I really don't like the circumstances.

I wouldn't want my obnoxious Packer fan friends referring to the new stadium as "The House That Brett Built", Although I respect Favre's accomplishments, I have a built in hatred for him. I wouldn't know whether to jump for joy or get peeved with each of his INT tosses (and there will be a lot of them). I highly doubt he comes to MN though.

I am gonna pull up a lawn chair, crack open a beer and watch Favre hold Green Bay's front office hostage for yet another off-season.

The Vikings are still struggling to get traction on a stadium deal. If Wilf thought a run at Brett Favre would help him in that venture I have no doubt he'd go after him 110%.

Favre has been playing games for years now... With his comments about not learning a new offense, complaining about surrounding him with talent, and his non stopped retirement talk... I don't know why we're suprised by this...

And as far as your last statement, I was thinking more along the lines of whiny little bitch, but little girl works as well.

I didn't realize we could say bitch, because that was my original thought.

I agree that from a Business prospective, Wilf will want to go after Brett with guns blazing if it meant a run at the SB and a new stadium deal. As a Vikings fan, I would have some really mixed emotions if he were to come to MN. I obviously want my team to win, and Brett would be an instant upgrade over Tavaris Jackson, but I really don't like the circumstances.

I wouldn't want my obnoxious Packer fan friends referring to the new stadium as "The House That Brett Built", Although I respect Favre's accomplishments, I have a built in hatred for him. I wouldn't know whether to jump for joy or get peeved with each of his INT tosses (and there will be a lot of them). I highly doubt he comes to MN though.

I am gonna pull up a lawn chair, crack open a beer and watch Favre hold Green Bay's front office hostage for yet another off-season.

Good point about the stadium deal. Hadn't thought of it that way. Favre may be "the enemy". But the idea is exciting still. At least more exciting than when Denny wanted Marino to come play in Minnesota when Dan was clearly done. I can see hating the guy even more if he signed and preceeded to throw 30 INTs or something.

Randall posted the statement where Green Bay/Thompson pretty much said "Go ahead, make my day."

"...the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team. As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team." This statement indicates that Green Bay will not give up all leverage and just cut Favre.

In other words, you can come back...and WE will decide what to do from there.

I can see hating the guy even more if he signed and preceeded to throw 30 INTs or something.

:wacko: Which, oddly enough, would probably serve to increase his standing with Packer fans even more. :D

Randall posted the statement where Green Bay/Thompson pretty much said "Go ahead, make my day."

In other words, you can come back...and WE will decide what to do from there.

Hail Lord Ted

:wacko: Which, oddly enough, would probably serve to increase his standing with Packer fans even more. :D

:D

More Favre gossip please. :wacko:

Gruden wants him and was an offensive assistant(gopher) before being a coach and as such did work with Favre.

They gave a 4th for a waffling Plummer and Tampa is close to home. If they get Favre and Kevin Jones this could be a very good team.