[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys after a 3-13 season and won the Super Bowl 4 years later and as far as most are concerned, he's an idiot. :D

He got help from that team just to the west of Wisconsin. :wacko: What's their name again?

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be surprised if the Ravens aren't showing interest in Favre. Seems like a perfect fit for him. It would allow him to come in and start for a couple years while the team grooms Flacco. I'm sure the kid would learn a ton from the old man, plus it would put the team in position to contend for the playoffs this season, or at least do much better than they're liable to with their current stable of QBs. The added media spotlight wouldn't hurt, either--in fact, the Ravens would go from one of the most boring teams to one of the most interesting overnight. Plus from the Packers' point of view, they get Favre out of the NFC and wouldn't have to play him this year (though they would next year).

Not sure I'd trade a 2nd round pick straight up for Favre, but if the Ravens can work it so they only give up a 3rd rounder, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

I'll be surprised if the Ravens aren't showing interest in Favre. Seems like a perfect fit for him. It would allow him to come in and start for a couple years while the team grooms Flacco. I'm sure the kid would learn a ton from the old man, plus it would put the team in position to contend for the playoffs this season, or at least do much better than they're liable to with their current stable of QBs.

Two problems with that scenario:

- Favre has said he doesn't want to learn a new offense.

- Favre has shown great disdain for "mentoring" young QBs.

Other than that, best of luck.

I have'nt read all 9 pages in this thread, but am I the only one who thinks GB is taking a hugh chance here with Rodgers? Why not take Favre back with open arms? Maybe it's just me but at least you KNOW Favre can play the game. Not a shot at Rodgers but come on, he's unproven. Sure he looked good in the Dallas game in relief but what happens when teams see his strengths and game plan against them? Maybe he's another Montana, but maybe he's another Ryan Leaf.

If I'm GB, I'm taking Favre back no questions asked.

I have'nt read all 9 pages in this thread, but am I the only one who thinks GB is taking a hugh chance here with Rodgers? Why not take Favre back with open arms? Maybe it's just me but at least you KNOW Favre can play the game. Not a shot at Rodgers but come on, he's unproven. Sure he looked good in the Dallas game in relief but what happens when teams see his strengths and game plan against them? Maybe he's another Montana, but maybe he's another Ryan Leaf.

If I'm GB, I'm taking Favre back no questions asked.

In the modern-day, win-now NFL, it's hard to argue with that scenario.

The best argument against that line of thinking is that Favre has not really been impressive in the playoffs over the last several years. The stars aligned last year, and postseason Favre just didn't look like regular-season Favre.

Still, his return pretty much guarantees a spot in the playoffs. And, as we all know, you have to make the playoffs to even have a prayer of winning the whole thing. :D

ETA: The other thing that can't be dismissed here is the possibility that Favre could change his mind AGAIN -- even if the Packers did take him back as the starter. After the debacle in March, and after the June 20 conversation with McCarthy when he said he STILL couldn't say if he was 100% committed, can you really say Favre will ABSOLUTELY make it through training camp without another change of heart? I could certainly envision it happening. He could always just blame management again; you know..."I showed up to play, but it just didn't feel the same. I didn't feel that everybody was comfortable, so I'm pulling the plug." I hate to say it, but I don't know how you can trust Brett 100% at this point. :wacko:

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

ETA: The other thing that can't be dismissed here is the possibility that Favre could change his mind AGAIN -- even if the Packers did take him back as the starter. After the debacle in March, and after the June 20 conversation with McCarthy when he said he STILL couldn't say if he was 100% committed, can you really say Favre will ABSOLUTELY make it through training camp without another change of heart? I could certainly envision it happening. He could always just blame management again; you know..."I showed up to play, but it just didn't feel the same. I didn't feel that everybody was comfortable, so I'm pulling the plug." I hate to say it, but I don't know how you can trust Brett 100% at this point. :wacko:

good point.

Favre shows up for friend Winters at HOF event

By Lori Nickel

Saturday, Jul 19 2008, 04:39 PM

The Green Bay Packers concluded their Hall of Fame press conference this afternoon in anticipation of the 7 p.m. dinner and banquet to honor former center Frank Winters, former defensive tackle Gilbert Brown and longtime video director Al Treml. The presenters were Santana Dotson for Brown, Bart Starr for Treml and Brett Favre for Winters.

Yeah, but don't get excited. As expected, reporters were not allowed to ask Favre questions, as everyone involved wanted to keep the focus on the inductees and the special evening, as Brown said this HOF induction was right up there in terms of career highlights. So, then, here's what Favre, dressed in a gray suit and button down shirt, said about his longtime friend and roommate of 12 years, Winters:

"Well I think everybody knows pretty much everything there is to know about old Frank. In 1992, we always tell this story, he was brought here in Plan B free agency which is long gone. And I was traded here. I think we were staying at the Midway (hotel by Lambeau Field). And at the time I was 252 pounds. Had a plaid shirt on, a button down shirt; March, it was cold, had a real, real scruffy beard. We were sitting downstairs, eating. I think we were getting ready for minicamp. And Frank sits down across from me. I think we were eating fried chicken or whatever. (Frank says Cordon Bleau). Cordon Bleau. Whatever. And I said, ‘Hey, how are you doing, I'm Brett Favre.' And he says ‘Frank Winters.' ‘What do you play?' And he says, ‘center.' He says to me, ‘What do you play, linebacker?' From that point on we were inseparable. And what an unlikely friendship, from Union City, New Jersey, and Kiln, Mississippi, I guess the old saying, ‘Opposites attract,' it's true.

"We just fed off each other throughout our career. We argued, we fought, we screamed at each other. He was definitely a matter of fact player. What I mean by that, he was not afraid to tell you, or, tell the coaches, what he felt or how impossible the block may be. But in describing Frank, when you think of great linemen, there's some great names in this organization. You think of Thurston, Ringo, Kramer and Gregg, I think you need to think of Winters as well. A great career. His work ethic, his approach, how he was professional, you don't get that way without being a determined player and a competitor. I was honored when he asked me to do this, as well as being here with Gilbert and Al. That's the thing about Green Bay, it's a special place. There's a lot of tradition. When you think of the Packers, you think of all these great names and to be a part of that, I know Frank feels honored. I'm thankful that he's asked me to be here."

Winters said he appreciated Favre coming despite the news and potential awkwardness. "This is special night for a couple of guys, and we're going to keep it at that."

As for the night being dominated by the presence of Favre and GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy, who are also expected, Brown was asked if that concerned him. "I don't know. All I know is tonight is Gilbert Brown, Frank Winters and Al Treml. That's all I care about, the three guys that's going in," Brown said.

Edited by Randall

I'll be surprised if the Ravens aren't showing interest in Favre. Seems like a perfect fit for him. It would allow him to come in and start for a couple years while the team grooms Flacco. I'm sure the kid would learn a ton from the old man, plus it would put the team in position to contend for the playoffs this season, or at least do much better than they're liable to with their current stable of QBs. The added media spotlight wouldn't hurt, either--in fact, the Ravens would go from one of the most boring teams to one of the most interesting overnight. Plus from the Packers' point of view, they get Favre out of the NFC and wouldn't have to play him this year (though they would next year).

Not sure I'd trade a 2nd round pick straight up for Favre, but if the Ravens can work it so they only give up a 3rd rounder, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

- Favre has shown great disdain for "mentoring" young QBs.

Other than that, best of luck.

- Favre may not have a choice, if he wants to start for someone this year. If the choice is back up Rodgers or start for a different team with a new offense, what's he going to do?

- I never said Favre would be "mentoring" anyone, just that the young guys will learn a lot just by watching him lead the team.

Best of luck in any case.

All that said, I doubt Favre goes to the Ravens. An unnamed source with the team has said they aren't interested (though we have no idea how credible that is). But I couldn't care less what the Ravens do. My main point was that I would be surprised if the Ravens didn't have some interest, given where the team is at right now.

Great post, Randall. Favre and Green Bay are family. Sometimes family members fight, but in the end they're still family.

Yesterday was for Winters, Gilbert Brown and Treml. Today they're probably back to fighting. I'm glad Brett went. The Hall of Fame is pretty incredible.

- Favre may not have a choice, if he wants to start for someone this year. If the choice is back up Rodgers or start for a different team with a new offense, what's he going to do?

- I never said Favre would be "mentoring" anyone, just that the young guys will learn a lot just by watching him lead the team..

I guess if Favre changes his "I don't want to learn a new offense" line, that shows he was being a total self-centered diva when Sherman was fired. Which wouldn't be a surprise at this point.

And Matt Hasselbeck was told by Andy Reid that he COULD learn a lot from Favre - leadership, preparation, competitiveness - "just don't copy his footwork, mechanics, or decision-making."

Gilbert Brown recalls his brief tenure in Minnesota

July 20, 2008 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

GREEN BAY, WIS. -- Few people remember that former Green Bay defensive tackle Gilbert Brown, who was inducted Saturday into the Packers Hall of Fame, was drafted by the division rival Minnesota Vikings in 1993.

In his acceptance speech, Brown recalled how he quickly knew the Vikings weren't the right place for him. He showed up at training camp to find two hoops on the ground. Vikings coaches wanted to work on speed, which was not a strong suit for the 350-pound Brown. Nevertheless, they instructed Brown to chase ultra-quick Vikings lineman Johnny Randle in a circle until he caught him.

"Well, he caught me," Brown said, chuckling.

Coaches asked Brown to try one more time. Again, Randle caught him.

Later, Brown recalled, Vikings receiver Cris Carter teased him unmercifully.

"So I knew I didn't like him," Brown said.

Finally, Vikings coach Dennis Green called Brown to his office and said the team wasn't happy with his progress. It planned to waive him and then put him on to the practice squad.

When he arrived at the team hotel, however, Brown got a call from the Packers. They had claimed him on waivers and wanted him to report to Green Bay the next day.

"I said, 'Tomorrow?'" Brown said. "I told them I would pack my truck and be there tonight."

The rest was history.

"After that," Brown said, "I just wore [the Vikings] out."

LOL, then where in the heck does he think that he's going to be able to start? It won't be in Seattle or Philly. Tampa sounds like the only reasonable fit, but it doesn't sound like either party is interested. And even then, he'd still have a small learning curve with Gruden's offense. Good luck with that with the season a month and a half way.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Greg Jennings was on Jim Rome and was almost cracking up as he was giving the company like.

Aaron is our QB but if TT brings Brett back I'l be happy to catch passes from him too. The Packers are turning into the BB Patriots. :wacko:

Greg Jennings was on Jim Rome and was almost cracking up as he was giving the company like.

Aaron is our QB but if TT brings Brett back I'l be happy to catch passes from him too. The Packers are turning into the BB Patriots. :wacko:

Ryan Grant said pretty much the same thing on NFL Live today.

Report: Packers have Favre’s phone records

July 22nd, 2008 – 2:05 PM by Judd Zulgad

As we await the NFL’s decision on the tampering charges filed by the Packers against the Vikings for “inappropriate dialogue” with Brett Favre, Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had an interesting bit of information in a piece he wrote about the quarterback today.

McGinn writes that a source said Favre had continued to use a Packers-issued cell phone and that when the team checked the phone records it found “repeated calls to coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.”

The possibility of Favre having used a phone issued by the Packers had been speculated on last week after the Associated Press reported that Green Bay informed the NFL it felt “an investigation of the phone records would show more than ‘normal contact’ between the Vikings and Favre, even before he formally asked for his release to play for another team.”

Bevell served as Favre’s quarterbacks coach in Green Bay from 2003-05 and the two have remained close. That relationship made it difficult to believe the Packers could prove much by simply pointing to conversations between Bevell and Favre. However, if Favre’s phone records also point to conversations with Childress that could be a different story.

The Vikings have remained mostly quiet on this subject since news broke nearly a week ago that tampering charges had been filed. Minnesota issued a statement last Thursday, saying the Vikings “are not commenting on this issue. These types of matters are handled by the league.”

The Vikings, if found guilty, could face penalties that include loss of draft picks and/or fines.

So Favre is contacting the Vikings...Hmmm? Is that tampering or Favre wanting to get back at the Packers somehow. Is there a bigger rift between him and Management than what is known?

Is there a bigger rift between him and Management than what is known?

You mean other than management not wanting him on the team and preferring to go with Rodgers at QB?

Maybe they made fun of the scruffy beard he's always got...

So Favre is contacting the Vikings...Hmmm? Is that tampering or Favre wanting to get back at the Packers somehow. Is there a bigger rift between him and Management than what is known?

His guards, Randy Moss, Mooch. I think Brett pretty much laid it out for all to see. :wacko:

His guards, Randy Moss, Mooch. I think Brett pretty much laid it out for all to see. :wacko:

And I think it makes him look like a fool... What did Rivera do after he left Green Bay? He was worn down to nearly nothing, and not worth a contract. Why complain about not getting Mooch when the coach they hired put him in an offense to turn his career around... It's like he doesn't remember how terrible he played just a few years ago when he led the pack to a 4-12 record.

And I think it makes him look like a fool... What did Rivera do after he left Green Bay? He was worn down to nearly nothing, and not worth a contract. Why complain about not getting Mooch when the coach they hired put him in an offense to turn his career around... It's like he doesn't remember how terrible he played just a few years ago when he led the pack to a 4-12 record.

Letting your 2 guards and center go at the same time was pretty tough. Signing 1 or a FA even for a year would have made for a smoother transition. Ted tooka big chance there. That year Brett often had tacklers draped all around him. It worked out but Brett could have easily gotten hurt. I understand his position there.

I agree Sherman should be the one he focuses on. As a GM he tried but never shoud have accepted the job he wasn't qualified for.

Now it's on to text messages:

GREEN BAY — As the Green Bay Packers continue to make calls to prospective trading partners in hopes of dealing Brett Favre before training camp opens, new evidence has emerged in the team's tampering case against the Minnesota Vikings regarding the semi-retired quarterback.

Two NFL sources said Wednesday that, in addition to cell-phone records of calls between Favre and Minnesota coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, the club also claims Favre sent text messages back-and-forth with the two Vikings coaches.

In the aftermath of Favre asking for his outright release July 11, the Packers accused the Vikings of tampering with Favre by engaging in "inappropriate dialogue" with him.

According to an Associated Press report last week, the Packers felt "an investigation of the phone records would show more than 'normal contact' between the Vikings and Favre, even before he formally asked for his release to play for another team."

A league source confirmed previous media reports that Favre was using a Packers-issued cell phone in his alleged communications with Bevell and Childress.

The number of text messages between Favre and the two Vikings coaches would also help prove the Packers' case. However, a spokesman for Verizon Wireless said Wednesday the carrier only keeps the substance of text messages for a brief time and the owners of the phone only have access to the destination numbers of texts sent from the device.

Verizon Wireless is one of the Packers' corporate partners, providing staff phones and sponsoring one of the Lambeau Field entry gates.

"We keep (text messages) for a very short time — days," said David Clevenger, Verizon's executive director of media relations for the Midwest region. "Then, we clean out our computers. We have 68 million customers, and we wouldn't be able to keep all their text messages. We have no reason to do it. There's no way they (the Packers) would be able to go back and pull up what was said (in the texts)."

But, the owners of the phone are able to see where the texts were sent, much like an itemized bill details every call made and received.

"If they own the phone, then they have the right to do that," Clevenger said.

Clevenger also said Verizon only began making text message destination numbers accessible to owners in May.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported NFL security officials were at the Vikings' Winter Park headquarters Wednesday, continuing their investigation into the charges.

While the Star Tribune's sources did not know exactly with whom NFL officials spoke, it's believed Childress and Bevell were questioned.

The NFL arrived at the Vikings' offices only a day before the team was to report to training camp in Mankato, Minn.

The Vikings have remained quiet on the tampering charge since news broke last week.

Owner Zygi Wilf told the Star Tribune last week he wouldn't comment on the Packers' accusation but added, "Let's put it this way, I look forward to the opening game in Green Bay."

Then again.....the Packers could be nothing but a bunch of BIG FAT LIARS! :wacko:

The Press Gazette reports whatever evidence the Green Bay Packers have of the Minnesota Vikings' alleged tampering with QB Brett Favre, it does not include records from a team-issued cell phone for Favre. Contrary to several well publicized media reports, two sources — one in the NFL, another close to Favre — said Favre does not have a cell phone issued by the Packers. “One-hundred percent, without a doubt, no Packers-issued phone,” said the source close to Favre.

A league source confirmed previous media reports that Favre was using a Packers-issued cell phone in his alleged communications with Bevell and Childress.

Contrary to several well publicized media reports, two sources — one in the NFL, another close to Favre — said Favre does not have a cell phone issued by the Packers. “One-hundred percent, without a doubt, no Packers-issued phone,” said the source close to Favre.

:wacko:

Hmmmmm - a league source confirms media reports of a GB-issued phone, while two sources - one in the NFL, another close to Favre - say Favre does not have a team issued phone.

Someone is going to look pretty stupid...

If Favre was ever looking for any possible way to tarnish his beloved image in GB, he just may have found it.